2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #811 of 1,497
It's mind-blowing what I'm hearing!

I'm back on vacation this weekend and I've tried out the ADX5000 connected to the built-in amplifier I have (a Sony TA-FE230 that has been with me since 1998).

Impressive what you take out of these headphones. Much more body, more air, more musicality, more scene, more analog sound and that blow of power that came noting that the Burson lacked.

Whoever has these headphones who do not hesitate to try them connected to an integrated amplifier of the ones before. They make a synergy more than spectacular. You keep your jaw out of line. It makes them more musical and a little less analytical.

I tried this amp earlier with the Amiron Home, and although they sounded good, it makes much better combo with the 420 ohms of the Audio-Technica. Best of all, the price of the amp cost me about 300 euros 22 years ago.
I just received the Burson Conductor 3X Reference and so far I am very impressed by the way it drives the ADX5000.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #812 of 1,497
It's mind-blowing what I'm hearing!

I'm back on vacation this weekend and I've tried out the ADX5000 connected to the built-in amplifier I have (a Sony TA-FE230 that has been with me since 1998).

Impressive what you take out of these headphones. Much more body, more air, more musicality, more scene, more analog sound and that blow of power that came noting that the Burson lacked.

Whoever has these headphones who do not hesitate to try them connected to an integrated amplifier of the ones before. They make a synergy more than spectacular. You keep your jaw out of line. It makes them more musical and a little less analytical.

I tried this amp earlier with the Amiron Home, and although they sounded good, it makes much better combo with the 420 ohms of the Audio-Technica. Best of all, the price of the amp cost me about 300 euros 22 years ago.
you connect it to the headphone output ?

Sep 15, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #813 of 1,497
[QUOTE = "GU1DO, publicación: 15865561, miembro: 435006"]
lo conectas a la salida de auriculares?
[/ CITAR]

Exactamente.

It is the same output for headphones and speakers; there is a button to turn on one output or another. Power, clarity, body, control and organic sound.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #814 of 1,497
I just received the Burson Conductor 3X Reference and so far I am very impressed by the way it drives the ADX5000.

If for that price the Burson does not handle them well, it is to hang himself... I was moving them on the Burson Soloist SL MKII and they sounded good, but now with the Sony TA-FE230 it's the olympus of the gods. The price of Sony was about $300 in 1998. (22 years with me and sounds great).

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #815 of 1,497
Tidal Hifi > Pro-Ject PreBox S2 Digital > Sony TA-FE230 > ADX5000

Forget there's nothing else in the world.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #816 of 1,497
Side grade or even a downgrade. I can’t name one area where the ADX5000 is better than the 800S, either with sound, cost, or comfort.
Wow. That's NOT what I heard. I guess we all hear differently. I haven't heard ADX5k on quality SS/class A amps but I would advice to skip entry level SS and tube amps. Quality tube amp seems like what these cans really like.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #817 of 1,497
Wow. That's NOT what I heard. I guess we all hear differently. I haven't heard ADX5k on quality SS/class A amps but I would advice to skip entry level SS and tube amps. Quality tube amp seems like what these cans really like.

Agreed. I'm mostly interested in skipping SS with these phones altogether. They sound tremendous with tube amps, but a little flatter with SS. The synergy with tube amps is next-level here, though.

The ADX5000 are very dynamic headphones and with a good tube amp, you can really hear that full range of what it's capable of.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #818 of 1,497
Agreed. I'm mostly interested in skipping SS with these phones altogether. They sound tremendous with tube amps, but a little flatter with SS. The synergy with tube amps is next-level here, though.

The ADX5000 are very dynamic headphones and with a good tube amp, you can really hear that full range of what it's capable of.
I do agree. Of cause I didn’t get a chance to try every reputable amplifier out there but to my ear, quality tube amp does two things for these headphones. One, it seems to smooth out some of forwardness in treble region. I would say it has similar effect tubes have on HD800s. Maybe slightly less so but still noticeable and IMHO very desirable. It isn’t bad with SS so don’t get me wrong. It’s fine. But once you introduce quality tube design into the mix, it’s hard to go back. Second, it expends soundstage which isn’t all that small to begin with. It also adds body and weight to midrange. I can’t speak on what various cables do, but I’m more concern with amp/dac matching with these cans than anything else. If I decide to play with cables, I will probably go with DIY route.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #819 of 1,497
Sep 24, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #820 of 1,497
Anything in particular?

I've tried it with Chord Mojo, IFI iCan and JDS Labs EL II. Also looking to get a GSX Mini to try it with in balanced as I finish building a 4-board Beta22.

ZMF/ampsandsound Pendant beat out all of those, so far, handily.

I imagine there is many SS amps that will do better with these than I've heard but the tonality of it with the tube amp doesn't have me too interested in trying much. Qutest > Pendant > ADX5000 is a great listen.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #821 of 1,497
Seriously, I recommend everyone forget about prejudice and try these headphones on a Sony integrated TA-FE series amplifier. Any of them from the Ta-Fe230 up. All that sound they describe with the valves can be achieved with one of these amplifiers at an infinitely lower price... Look for a second-hand one, you're going to be surprised.

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #822 of 1,497
I've tried it with Chord Mojo, IFI iCan and JDS Labs EL II. Also looking to get a GSX Mini to try it with in balanced as I finish building a 4-board Beta22.

ZMF/ampsandsound Pendant beat out all of those, so far, handily.

I imagine there is many SS amps that will do better with these than I've heard but the tonality of it with the tube amp doesn't have me too interested in trying much. Qutest > Pendant > ADX5000 is a great listen.
Seems like GSX is a Swiss Army knife kind of a deal. Looks like it has enough power to drive almost any headphone out there. Not sure if it is going to get most out of your ADX5ks but it sure sounds like a great choice for your RAD-0s.
Pendant is neutral from what I’ve heard as far as tube amps go. Which is OK as I wouldn’t pair ADX5ks with euphoric/syrupy amps. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #823 of 1,497
Seriously, I recommend everyone forget about prejudice and try these headphones on a Sony integrated TA-FE series amplifier. Any of them from the Ta-Fe230 up. All that sound they describe with the valves can be achieved with one of these amplifiers at an infinitely lower price...
Not doubting it. I just like flexibility and responsiveness to tube rolling of my amp. I also own couple SS amps to mix things up a bit. However, only one or two of my headphones benefit from SS analytical qualities. Even then, I run my tube amp in pre-amp mode to feed SS amps for a bit of flavor. But that’s nothing more than one guy’s opinion. Whatever that’s worth. Lol

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #824 of 1,497
pepodenata,
Sold the HE1000se, Meze Empyrean, MDR-Z1R and [yes] the Utopia[!] in the interim.
Rescinded the FS ad for the ADX5000, fortunately. After re-padding them with BrainWavz XL sheepskin, the ATH ticked off even more boxes on my checklist.
Only the ADX5000 and the HEDDphone [and, of course, my tried-and-true for nearly 8 years: Martin Logan Mikros 90] remain.

[1] Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 with BrainWavz XL sheepskin [non-fenestrated] pads: a real boon, I think, for the overall sound.

IMG_20200716_163724617.jpg

[2] Am driving the HEDDphone [AMT drivers] with the Qinpu A-1.0X integrated, and they sound grand in their own right.

IMG_20200824_191219568.jpg

[3] Martin Logan Mikros 90, with Geekria Momentum ear pads and lamb's wool inserts. Truly top-of-the-line performance, in league with practically every popularly recognized TOTL headphones I have tried to date.

IMG_20200824_185348661.jpg
you dont have gap under your ears with the BrainWavz XL ?
i tried it (microsuede gel) but the fit wasn't working for me

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #825 of 1,497
Used my ADX5000 with my new Feliks Euforia. Everything that was not to my liking driven by a SS amp is now rectified with this superb OTL. I always thought it was a little hot and too aggressive with my SS amp, but now there is superb control on the driver and the mids bass and treble now seem to be in a perfect balance with no frequency now sounding aggressive nor too forward. I always thought it had a good stage height , now there is an increase in width and depth too along with all the resolution it was always well known for. So if you have an ADX5000, just get yourself a quality tube amp and you will be surprised with what this headphone is capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back