2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jan 19, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #241 of 1,496
Interesting that you don't think the forested cans have good bass seeing as that is almost literally what they ( and their derivatives) are known for. Even on my neutral tube amp I get good sub bass out of my TH600's. Like wise your comment on HD800 bass surprises me, though they are known for responding well to EQ I've never heard a seriously glowing tale of their bass impact.
I think there's a difference between the Fostex "originals" and their MD derivatives, which is why I'm dying to try out the TH900. My opinions are based on the THX00EB, which is all I've heard. I didn't say "all Fostex" cans.

Likewise, there is a general consensus amongst the hi-fi community that EQ=BAD, so many may not bother with tweaking their sounds that way. I certainly don't mind tweaking, and I can get the HD800S to respond and provide more than ample bass.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #242 of 1,496
I think there's a difference between the Fostex "originals" and their MD derivatives, which is why I'm dying to try out the TH900. My opinions are based on the THX00EB, which is all I've heard. I didn't say "all Fostex" cans.

Likewise, there is a general consensus amongst the hi-fi community that EQ=BAD, so many may not bother with tweaking their sounds that way. I certainly don't mind tweaking, and I can get the HD800S to respond and provide more than ample bass.

I vaguely recall reading a review comparing the TH600's with the THX00 Ebonies saying that though the two are different the overall signature is the same but it might have been one of the other MD versions or I could be wrong.

EG'ing serves a purpose and is fine as long as you arent trying to make one thing into something new.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #243 of 1,496
a review from tyll with accompanying measurements looks likely

aornic said in his review that "detail retrieval and air are the name of the game with this headphone but bass performance was lacking compared to the rest of the headphone". he described the adx5000 as "very resolving in the upper mid-range and treble, with fantastic imaging capabilities and a decent soundstage width", but he found the bass presentation lacking in "texture, precision, impact and dynamics" for a headphone in its price range. he characterised the sound signature as being "dry and analytical" rather than lush. he referred to music from the smashing pumpkins, fleetwood mac and miles davis's nefertiti during his review but there was no mention of edm. the headphone was loaned to him for an "in-house" review, so presumably he had the time to listen and evaluate it in a relatively quiet environment. it was tyll hertsen who posted his initial listening impressions of the adx5000 from a noisy booth at ces 2018.

I was basing the comments that I made earlier on the short video review that aornic had done for "The Verge" (which appeared prior to the longer, 10:51 review which is now on YouTube, which you referenced). My fault.
I apologize for the confusion, and this was a good catch on your part. Appreciate the clarification.

This was the first time that I had ever seen or heard or read any review from him, as he is new to me.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #245 of 1,496
The brightness makes it difficult to enjoy this headphone. We compared it to the HD800S and a modified HD800 with the resonator mod and the Sennheisers sound a lot more natural and easier on the ears.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #246 of 1,496
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #247 of 1,496
A brief write up from Tyll: https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ath-adx5000-over-ear-open-flagship-headphones

The irony here is that if he says the Z1R is harshly bright, while these are good, I'm going to start wondering what he's hearing that I'm not. Lol!!!

Yeah I love my Z1R, honestly I don't bother reading reviews anymore, the only way to tell if you like something is to listen to it and how is someone else listening to it going to help with that lol...

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #248 of 1,496
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #249 of 1,496
He didn't say Z1R are harshly bright. He said that they have a treble peak, which didn't let him enjoy these headphones. Lol
Yeah. I read that as the same meaning. Lol. We’re all different anyways, so his hearing is his alone.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #250 of 1,496
he intends to review the adx5000 which will include measurements. that show report contained his initial impressions, which may be subject to change once he has the opportunity to evaluate the adx5000 more thoroughly.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #251 of 1,496
Well, considering that he described the LCD series 2 and 3 headphones in one of his reviews as "spectacularly yummy", (and with me considering these headphones as "overwhelmingly woolly"), I think I can wait to get Tyll's take on the X5000.

Having a sense of his preferences in a headphone, I don't know how much meaning that I would be able to get from his review of this X5000 headphone, anyway. I prefer a more neutral-sounding (possibly bordering on an analytically-sounding) headphone. He clearly doesn't.

Mine and Tyll's preferences obviously don't agree in how we'd like a headphone to sound. Knowing this, I feel like that I'm having to decipher code whenever he gives his impressions of a headphone. I'll definitely have to read between the lines (and employ a mental conversion chart) in order to try and make much sense out of what his impressions may mean to me. And, I probably won't be able to get a good sense for how this headphone portrays the upper midrange or how it sounds in the upper treble region, since Tyll doesn't seem to prefer headphones with a forward-sounding midrange or prominent highs. In watching and reading him at various times over the years he seems to prefer a fairly recessed (compared to a more "up-front") sound signature. I think he appreciates detail in a headphone, as long as it's "pushed-back."

Even though Tyll has listened to more pairs of headphones than I could ever dream of ever hearing, (and that provides him with an extensive frame of reference) my criticism of him (and other reviewers) is that they don't list the music that they listen to when evaluating the headphones that they review. This would be extremely helpful in putting his reviews (or anyone's reviews, for that matter) into a more meaningful context.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #252 of 1,496
Well, considering that he described the LCD series 2 and 3 headphones in one of his reviews as "spectacularly yummy", (and with me considering these headphones as "overwhelmingly wooly"), I think I can wait to get Tyll's take on the X5000.

Having a sense of his preferences in a headphone, I don't know how much meaning that I would be able to get from his review of this X5000 headphone, anyway. I prefer a more neutral-sounding (possibly bordering on an analytically-sounding) headphone. He clearly doesn't.

Mine and Tyll's preferences obviously don't agree in how we'd like a headphone to sound. Knowing this, I feel like that I'm having to decipher code whenever he gives his impressions of a headphone. I'll definitely have to read between the lines (and employ a mental conversion chart) in order to try and make much sense out of what his impressions may mean to me. And, I probably won't be able to get a good sense for how this headphone portrays the upper midrange or how it sounds in the upper treble region, since Tyll doesn't seem to prefer headphones with a forward-sounding midrange or prominent highs. In watching and reading him at various times over the years he seems to prefer a fairly recessed (compared to a more "up-front") sound signature. I think he appreciates detail in a headphone, as long as it's "pushed-back."

Even though Tyll has listened to more pairs of headphones than I could ever dream of ever hearing, (and that provides him with an extensive frame of reference) my criticism of him (and other reviewers) is that they don't list the music that they listen to when evaluating the headphones that they review. This would be extremely helpful in putting his reviews (or anyone's reviews, for that matter) into a more meaningful context.

That’s the thing. This set does have forward mids and prominent highs. So it’ll be interesting to hear what he really thinks of it.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #253 of 1,496
I guess we can expect long pauses as he thoughtfully looks down at the headphone while turning it from side-to-side without saying anything (as if searching for just the right words to convey his disappointment) and a lot of sighing, then.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #254 of 1,496
Well, considering that he described the LCD series 2 and 3 headphones in one of his reviews as "spectacularly yummy", (and with me considering these headphones as "overwhelmingly woolly"), I think I can wait to get Tyll's take on the X5000.

there seems to be little point in you waiting for tyll's review of the adx-5000 to be published at all when you've already passed judgement on it. fwiw, i rarely look at tyll's video reviews but i make a point of reading his written reviews which are comprehensive, insightful and often educational imo. if you can't relate to his subjective impressions then you can always access the (objective) measurements that he provides. that said, there is no substitute for first-hand experience, which is why auditioning a headphone costing more than $2k usd is recommended. i'm sure that tyll would agree. :wink:

leaving a discussion of what you regard as "more neutral-sounding" in a headphone and what you think tyll's sonic preferences are aside, i think it's worth mentioning that the hd800 used to be his reference headphone, and he recommended it for monitoring despite its 6khz peak. the hd800's sound signature typifies what is "neutral" and "analytical" for many headfi'ers.

with regard to your criticism that he does not provide a list of the music that he listens to for evaluating headphones, he has done so in the past and i think that he mentions it again here: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-tyll-reviews-headphones

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back