2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #91 of 1,497
I heard these in Holland with Audio Technica´s flagship amp. I wanted to like them, but they did not do it for my taste. They are rather bright and tonally go more direction HD800, SR-900 and other analytical cans. They have more of an etheric sound. For me too little warmth, body and weight. FR is more neutral than most AT´s, though.
I also would have expected more from soundstage capabilities... Comfort was good (not exceptional) and cans are rather light.
We compared with a few other visitors with my ATH-W3000anv and all prefered the woodie. Please note my ATH-W is heavily modded and sounds quite different from a standard ATH-W3000anv. (Eikon earpads, extra damping, anti resonance material, acoustic filter fibre, custom cable...). I had no interest in liking my headphone more... I am still looking for an open headphone and the ADH-ADX5000 was one of the main reasons I drove all the way to that event.
I did come away impressed with Audio Technica´s hybrid AT-H5050H reference amplifier, though. Not great value with that price, sure, but a great "classic" sound not putting a foot wrong, and a joy to use and behold.
Please note this was an audio event, making critical listening and judging technicalities difficult, but if you like a little warmth and weight these are not going to be your first choice IMHO...

Your impressions lead me to believe that these will make me happy; I'm hoping this will replace my AKG K7XX as refined all arounders with excellent sound stage and solid bass response without the slightly shrill top end. Hopefully a loaner pair will make their way through Canada ASAP.

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #95 of 1,497
In fairness it didn’t seem like he was much of a headphone guy, so it’s huge praise that someone who prefers speakers feels like this is the next best thing. I haven’t seen it sold anywhere yet though - when does it come out?

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #96 of 1,497
In fairness it didn’t seem like he was much of a headphone guy, so it’s huge praise that someone who prefers speakers feels like this is the next best thing. I haven’t seen it sold anywhere yet though - when does it come out?
You are correct. I much prefer to listen to speakers rather than headphones, but as stated in the review, something like the ADX5000s could sway me away from speakers with this sort of sound. I'm not a "warmth" person. To me, warmth is usually lack of control, unless it's an inherent warmth in the recording, which headphones (and speakers like these) will convey. Generally, if it's not meant to be there, I don't want it there.

I appreciate though that whilst high fidelity is a "reference" game, domestic audio and the systems we choose to live with on a daily basis are based in the realms of "preference", and I guess the most popular sound to live with long term is a warmer sound. These may not suit that type of listener, unless maybe partnered with a valve headphone amp to add a little more body.

For the record, I didn't have anything in a similar price bracket to hand to compare to the ADX5000s, and as I was using them with a headphone amp that I wouldn't have heard many other headphones with, I didn't want to make any unfair comparisons. In the past, I've had access to headphones by Bowers & Wilkins, Grado, Sennheiser, Bose, Yamaha, Denon, Oppo, KEF, Quart, Pioneer, AudioQuest, and probably a few others that escape my memory right now.

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #97 of 1,497
Yes but for readers, is frustating that you had the first pair outside Japan without nothing in hand to compare with, feels like wasted time.

Audiophiles love car analogies, so here's one: You got the first BMW M5 produced for the USA for review, and you only say: yes, is a wonderful car, I usually ride motorbikes but with this I can transition to cars.
Congratulations, we all expect that, is a top of the line BMW. Your reader wants to know if it is faster or slower than a Corvette, less or more confortable than an Audi RS5, etc...if not, it's useless, and the equivalent of visiting the manufacturer webpage.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #98 of 1,497
You can't please all of the people all of the time. This was an impromptu review as I managed to get hold of them for a short time, and luckily had a suitable headphone amplifier on hand to do the justice. Obtaining any alternatives for a comparison would've delayed proceedings and may have ended up with no review at all. Like most reviews, it is a collection of my own personal views and feelings of a specific product. If it helps, I like Oppo's and Audeze's planar magnetic headphones, and I'm not much of a Sennheiser fan.

For me, it wasn't a waste of time. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I had with them, and will at some point have a pair on permanent demonstration.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #99 of 1,497
Yes but for readers, is frustating that you had the first pair outside Japan without nothing in hand to compare with, feels like wasted time.

Audiophiles love car analogies, so here's one: You got the first BMW M5 produced for the USA for review, and you only say: yes, is a wonderful car, I usually ride motorbikes but with this I can transition to cars.
Congratulations, we all expect that, is a top of the line BMW. Your reader wants to know if it is faster or slower than a Corvette, less or more confortable than an Audi RS5, etc...if not, it's useless, and the equivalent of visiting the manufacturer webpage.
That analogy doesn't really make sense and that review is perfectly an acceptable one, especially knowing the circumstances of that model of headphones (just recently produced, only one pair outside Japan flying from one event to another...) though many shops have them already in stock (don't know if also phisically in the shop to go and try'em) by now but that review was done a month ago

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #103 of 1,497
Thanks for the welcome Toro. Is it always this friendly around here?

I’m not a professional reviewer, I’m just a lover of music and hi-fi since a very early age (over 40 year’s now), so this is just an arranged collection of my feelings, thoughts, and opinion of these excellent headphones. Apologies of it doesn’t tick all of your boxes.

I’m sure there’ll be another review due soon that you can get your teeth into. Are you interested in these headphones Toro?

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #104 of 1,497
Hi David, thanks for the review.

Just curious if you have heard these headphones with a competitor side by side? It seems high praise that you said you like them while finding it hard to justify other headphones at £1.3k mark.

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #105 of 1,497
Hi David, thanks for the review.

Just curious if you have heard these headphones with a competitor side by side? It seems high praise that you said you like them while finding it hard to justify other headphones at £1.3k mark.
Not any direct competition. What I meant about justifying other headphones was that these are so good, in my opinion, I'd have a hard time paying out £1.3k on headphones I know and like, knowing that the ATs are available for a little more. The main ones I would have heard around that sort of price are the Sennheiser HD800 and Oppo PM1. I have heard some Audeze, which I like some models, but I couldn't tell you which ones I heard now as I wasn't familiar with the range earlier in the year when I heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back