2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 1,496
What a freaking cash-grab this scene has become..

When the impressions are posted and peoples opinion's have settled I imagine the used price for this will be reflected by how well it compares to other gear on the market. On one hand I HOPE this ATH Flagship is going to compete well with others in the price range, but in my gut I get the feeling that it won't... but here's to hoping! I have a soft spot for the ATH House Sound...

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #23 of 1,496
I'm so sick of the pricing measuring contest that is ruining the headphone scene right now. Seriously, this needs to stop. The sub $1k open back market has been almost completely ignored. Over the last two years, the only decent sub $1k opens we have been given are the R70x, DT1990 Pro and the Elear and even then, those headphones have notable tuning issues. In that same stretch of time, the following $1.5K+ headphones have been released: Susvara, HE1000, LCD4, Utopia, HD800s, Abyss V2, Ether Flow, Z1R, Sonoma, Pioneer Master 1 and now the ATH 5000. Notice a pattern? I don't blame the companies entirely. I also blame the people who agree to pay these prices which in turn encourages the other companies to pour all their R&D money into over priced flagships. It would be nice if that tech trickled down into more affordable models but that rarely happens. No headphone should cost more than $1000. Anything more than that and you are just being taken for a ride, sure that ride might sound mighty nice but you are still being ripped off. Its time for headphone pricing to return to sane levels but that will only happen if people stop buying this stupid overpriced audio status symbols. Seriously people, stop buying these things. Force the companies to apply their tech to the sub $1k market. Audio Technica could easily build a headphone that sounds identical to this new model for $800 if they wanted to. They just choose not to.

[Mod edits - removed profanity]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 1,496
I'm so sick of the pricing measuring contest that is ruining the headphone scene right now. Seriously, this needs to stop. The sub $1k open back market has been almost completely ignored. Over the last two years, the only decent sub $1k opens we have been given are the R70x, DT1990 Pro and the Elear and even then, those headphones have notable tuning issues. In that same stretch of time, the following $1.5K+ headphones have been released: Susvara, HE1000, LCD4, Utopia, HD800s, Abyss V2, Ether Flow, Z1R, Sonoma, Pioneer Master 1 and now the ATH 5000. Notice a pattern? I don't blame the companies entirely. I also blame the people who agree to pay these prices which in turn encourages the other companies to pour all their R&D money into over priced flagships. It would be nice if that tech trickled down into more affordable models but that rarely happens. No headphone should cost more than $1000. Anything more than that and you are just being taken for a ride, sure that ride might sound mighty nice but you are still being ripped off. Its time for headphone pricing to return to sane levels but that will only happen if people stop buying this stupid overpriced audio status symbols. Seriously people, stop buying these things. Force the companies to apply their tech to the sub $1k market. Audio Technica could easily build a headphone that sounds identical to this new model for $800 if they wanted to. They just choose not to.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

PREACH BROTHA !

Watch out Hifiman fanbois will arrived and say the most famous quote of all time

"Please guys can we stop talking about the price" - Hifiman PR Team

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #25 of 1,496
HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

PREACH BROTHA !

Watch out Hifiman fanbois will arrived and say the most famous quote of all time

"Please guys can we stop talking about the price" - Hifiman PR Team

That said, here's to hoping this'll at least compete with the HE 1k,

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #26 of 1,496
That said, here's to hoping this'll at least compete with the HE 1k,

He1000, ether Flows, HD800S, LCD3. This is a tough pick overall. Isn't HE1000 over $3000.

So the HE1000 is disqualified.

More like HD800, Ether Flow and LCD3

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 1,496
And? Anything to report back? Sound?

The story is a bit funny.

The show in HK , it was using a sony A35 as music source feeding into HA5050 head-amp (I remember it cost $8k usd) driving single-ended ADX5000. You guess what was the impression.

I somehow cannot stand the A35 (hidden behind HA5050 and plug the ADX5000 into my onkyo dp-x1 (playing Tidal offline source a Jazz piece). Woo,,, it sounds much better this time.

The second day, I bring an audiophile CD and plug the ADX5000 into a CD system with HA5050 as head-amp. Half hour before audition I came out from the HE-1 audition private room (yes the 300k pricey HE-1) with the same CD.

I listened three songs (all classical music) and compared with my impression of HE-1. The ADX5000 actually sounded quite similar to HE-1. Good relax sound stage, a lot of details, metal instruments sound real sounding. It is worth its price as short.
E401F3E9CBE3D8D8CD9987D993B61867.jpg

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #28 of 1,496
The story is a bit funny.

The show in HK , it was using a sony A35 as music source feeding into HA5050 head-amp (I remember it cost $8k usd) driving single-ended ADX5000. You guess what was the impression.

I somehow cannot stand the A35 (hidden behind HA5050 and plug the ADX5000 into my onkyo dp-x1 (playing Tidal offline source a Jazz piece). Woo,,, it sounds much better this time.

The second day, I bring an audiophile CD and plug the ADX5000 into a CD system with HA5050 as head-amp. Half hour before audition I came out from the HE-1 audition private room (yes the 300k pricey HE-1) with the same CD.

I listened three songs (all classical music) and compared with my impression of HE-1. The ADX5000 actually sounded quite similar to HE-1. Good relax sound stage, a lot of details, metal instruments sound real sounding. It is worth its price as short.
IMAG3001.jpg

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 1,496
At 420 ohm resistance, I can confirm it can challenge the HD800 (I tried AK dap + HDVD800 + HD800 at day 2 of the show).

Well , just don't use a Sony A35 as source. It sucks. :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back