2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Feb 7, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #901 of 1,496
Well, on my system (separate dac and amp with all cables upgraded, ~$3000) I don't find what you described to be the signature of the ADX. But on the other hand, I do believe they can sound like that on unmatching systems. These cans are like magnifiers into the system, surely are very hard to satisfy. Maybe this partially explains its market share.

Yes, I may suggest we are talking about DAC-AMP-HPhones matching this case, rather than about signature (or about matching which changes signature :) ).
Physically, a known high-frequency boost in the 5k's response curve likely produces the "dust" , as for me.
Frankly, before auditioning 5k I was wishing it to win HD800S, which didn't happen in my setup apperently....

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #902 of 1,496
Yes, I may suggest we are talking about DAC-AMP-HPhones matching this case, rather than about signature (or about matching which changes signature :) ).
Physically, a known high-frequency boost in the 5k's response curve likely produces the "dust" , as for me.
Frankly, before auditioning 5k I was wishing it to win HD800S, which didn't happen in my setup apperently....
Glad you went to demo it with your setup, did you take the 800S or you already have one?

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #903 of 1,496
Glad you went to demo it with your setup, did you take the 800S or you already have one?

I used a demo HD800S one in the store (presumably burned-in quite well already), whereas the 5k was not standing freely for auditioning, so it might be less burned-in. I do realize that the differences in burn-in time (if they matter) may provoke additional differences in sound, decreasing the purity of auditioning.
Finally I ordered HD800S.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #904 of 1,496
I used a demo HD800S one in the store (presumably burned-in quite well already), whereas the 5k was not standing freely for auditioning, so it might be less burned-in. I do realize that the differences in burn-in time (if they matter) may provoke additional differences in sound, decreasing the purity of auditioning.
Congratulations, your ears speak :)

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #905 of 1,496

Congrats, I also went to a store and auditioned both HD800S and ADX5000 side by side, and found they are more similar than different also.

In the end I bought the HD800S as I could not justify the higher price for the ADX5000. If they were priced the same, I probably would have went ADX5000.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #906 of 1,496
Congrats, I also went to a store and auditioned both HD800S and ADX5000 side by side, and found they are more similar than different also.

In the end I bought the HD800S as I could not justify the higher price for the ADX5000. If they were priced the same, I probably would have went ADX5000.

Well, the best outcome would be to buy them both, burn-in and listen carefully with the music you like during ONE MONTH at least, and then return one simply.
(But store where I am wont accept it. The fact I brought my own DAC-AMP to the store is already remarkable.)

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #907 of 1,496
Well, the best outcome would be to buy them both, burn-in and listen carefully with the music you like during ONE MONTH at least, and then return one simply.
(But store where I am wont accept it. The fact I brought my own DAC-AMP to the store is already remarkable.)
In the US I know Audio46 encourages people to bring their own gear, pretty good practice.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #909 of 1,496

Im in Australia, stores dont take returns here generally. My specific headphone store would accept return but at 15% restocking fee. Anyway, I am very happy with the HD800S and don't think I really miss not getting the ADX5000 now.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #910 of 1,496
Im in Australia, stores dont take returns here generally. My specific headphone store would accept return but at 15% restocking fee. Anyway, I am very happy with the HD800S and don't think I really miss not getting the ADX5000 now.

Well, stores want they profit.. I hope HD800S will do their job well in my case.
My feeling is the apparent exceptional performance of 5k has likely been concluded based on vocal tracks mainly.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #911 of 1,496
Comes down to details. And I see how paying retail for ADX5K might be a factor. I got my ADX5K for price of 800s so for me personally, it was much easier choice to go with AT. Both great headphones.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #912 of 1,496
Yes, at first I have tried them both with sennheiser HDVD800 dac-amp, with which adx5k sounded too bright (piano high notes were sounded piercing and saturated).
With 28.38 that problem has gone: no saturated sound, no piercing effects. I presume, because of the better DAC. High-resolution DAC "removes" saturation from high notes quite noticeably. The "dry sounding" effect may be even more pronounced with high-res DAC actually, as it is a part of speaker/driver signature..

So, with 28.38 the dry-dusty sound persisted, especially with violins, which is, IMO, a part of 5k's signature.
This does not mean somethings bad, however, it just makes classical music sounding unnaturally. Maybe this signature is better for jazz, or vocals-other-than-opera, or agressive percussions, etc...
HD800S adds more musicality to the music, IMO, making music closer to what your ears can hear.
Almost no bass difference between these two, as far as we are talking about classical music (which is normally not overloaded with bass).

About tube-amps... Yes, maybe it will help for 5k. However, why should we put cellos instead of violins in the orchestra for better sounding music, if the hall acoustics is simply not suitable ? A proper (hall) acoustics is the priority, IMO.

In my entry level system (i guess for now), i feel different, its not piercing, it's on the spot,vocal more clear on adx5000 also feel more closer than hd800, adx also has slightly more bass, yes it's barely noticeable, however since i tried it with hd800 not hd800s and we have different amp/dac, i couldnot comment much, i've not yet auditioned/heared hd800s

In my dap (i tested with dx220),the difference is more subtle, hd800 sound distance, lack energy and bass, adx5000 more superior in all aspect except soundstage, i guess they both sensitive to the source, in desktop setup difference is not that much but for mid adx5000 clearly still superior imo, i can't get rid of hd800 too however, need it for reference, i;m happy keep them both for now, they both sound musical enough to me.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #913 of 1,496
In my entry level system (i guess for now), i feel different, its not piercing, it's on the spot,vocal more clear on adx5000 also feel more closer than hd800, adx also has slightly more bass, yes it's barely noticeable, however since i tried it with hd800 not hd800s and we have different amp/dac, i couldnot comment much, i've not yet auditioned/heared hd800s

In my dap (i tested with dx220),the difference is more subtle, hd800 sound distance, lack energy and bass, adx5000 more superior in all aspect except soundstage, i guess they both sensitive to the source, in desktop setup difference is not that much but for mid adx5000 clearly still superior imo, i can't get rid of hd800 too however, need it for reference, i;m happy keep them both for now, they both sound musical enough to me.

Apparently yes, they are both sensitive to the source (before I was thinking that only the HD800S is...).
With HDVD800 amp-dac the HD800S sounded fuller that 5k (HDVD800 is created for 800S, no doubts).
But with nfb 28.38 it depends on music apparently. Since I have oppo PM-2 "for voices" already, I have chosen something sounding "widely and distantly" finally (i.e. HD800S) :)
And again the violins... they are not that dry in reality, as 5k images them.... (checked with bayer 990-600Ohm, with HD600, with oppo PM-2, and with PX100 even).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #914 of 1,496

Having (previously ordered) hd800S three days so far i can express the sound signature of these cans (with nbf 28.38) as:

EFFORTLESS MUSICALITY.

Cannot add anything more.

I am not sure the same formula would appear for adx5k, due to their slightly dry sound. (With all due respect to adx5k).

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #915 of 1,496
Having (previously ordered) hd800S three days so far i can express the sound signature of these cans (with nbf 28.38) as:

EFFORTLESS MUSICALITY.

As I have mentioned many times, the HD800S is very musical despite what many other people say and I feel very content with it being my single only headphone for all the music genres I listen to.

It sounds equally great both off my solid state amp and OTL tube amp.

It just does so much right to my ears and I love it more each day. Anyway enough about the HD800S since this is the ADX5000 thread hehe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back