2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Nov 24, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #858 of 1,497
Bottlehead is what I would consider good entry into a real tube amplifiers. I don’t think you will regret going that route. To get substantially better performance, you would have spend substantial more.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #860 of 1,497
@ ZenErik

Hi,
I am considering getting ADX5000 and would like to hear some comment on this. I do own HD820 and I did not quite like it. It does not suit my taste. I found it sounds to sharp for me.
I hope that the ADX5000 would have more body on the vocal than HD820.
Does any one have comment on this also I am planning to get Audio GD NFB28.38 to go with ADX5000. Many thanks.

Good time! May i know whether you finally got adx5000 with audiogd 28.38? Could you tell your impressions , especially if you compare with hd 800S (on a 28.38)? Does adx5k sound bright on 28.38?

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #861 of 1,497
Technically yes its an a upgrade , ADX5K is way faster and more detailed headphone and reach the speed of planars, with better bass and more depth ,,
subjectively i think its a side grade , they present sound in a different way , most notable the HD800S has fuller mids with more decay which sound better with some tracks,
if you like the HD800S i guess you are going to like the ADX5K but i dont know how it will behave in your setup or how do you like music,so you are the only person can decide if it worth owning or not.

want to add , comfort wise the ADX5K is he most comfortable headphone i have ever owned or tried.

Thats the problem! :wink:
Ideally i would like to keep all headphones which i am going to compare for 3month at least. After that, i will keep only one for me... (Are you listening, BigName chains/stores?!)

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #863 of 1,497
Finally joined the party, hopefully not too late...

Super lucky to acquire a super mint one and enjoying. Is there any burn-in effects with these?
If you bought it used, no need for “burn-in”. But since drivers are sort of a mechanical pistons with suspension that do flex, few hrs is all that might be required (even if previous owner didn’t use it recently). ADX are very gear dependent so pay attention to that. I have noticed some changes with different cables but not substantial enough to make this an issue. Pads can be replaced and they do change sound a lot. So there’s a bunch of ways to tailor the sound to where you want it to be. Have fun and enjoy your new toy.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #865 of 1,497
I could live with hd800s.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #866 of 1,497
If you bought it used, no need for “burn-in”. But since drivers are sort of a mechanical pistons with suspension that do flex, few hrs is all that might be required (even if previous owner didn’t use it recently). ADX are very gear dependent so pay attention to that. I have noticed some changes with different cables but not substantial enough to make this an issue. Pads can be replaced and they do change sound a lot. So there’s a bunch of ways to tailor the sound to where you want it to be. Have fun and enjoy your new toy.

I wonder if you can take a photo with earpads unattached i want to see inner ring that hold the earpads, curious if this like beyer lip type thingy and the driver photo without earpads, just curious since so hard to find on google image or youtube, if u dont mind, and how hard to change the earpads?! I once had r70x, is kindda hard to attach and unattached the earpads.

Couldnot do it on shop since in here they're not allowed me to do, and stock demo is out.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #867 of 1,497
I wonder if you can take a photo with earpads unattached i want to see inner ring that hold the earpads, curious if this like beyer lip type thingy and the driver photo without earpads, just curious since so hard to find on google image or youtube, if u dont mind, and how hard to change the earpads?! I once had r70x, is kindda hard to attach and unattached the earpads.

Couldnot do it on shop since in here they're not allowed me to do, and stock demo is out.
I’ll try to take few pics and maybe do a short vid (later tonight) of pad swapping process (stock and aftermarket pads).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #868 of 1,497
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I found it very sensitive to the source, slight changes can be easily revealed. But the next would be finding a pairing amp for it. Currently I'm using a small production solidstate to power it. Although the soundstage and top/bottom control are ok, the sound is a bit dry and lacks micro dynamics.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #869 of 1,497
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I found it very sensitive to the source, slight changes can be easily revealed. But the next would be finding a pairing amp for it. Currently I'm using a small production solidstate to power it. Although the soundstage and top/bottom control are ok, the sound is a bit dry and lacks micro dynamics.
They scale extremely well. Any changes in your audio chain, crappy mastering or compression will be displayed in most unapologetic way.
Few others that participate in this ADX experiment (different thread), seem to agree that quality tube amp works really well with these Headphones. We all agree that they can be a bit to bright at times and that extreme airiness might need to be tamed with components that are less analytical. Softer, warmer if you will. It doesn’t mean less detailed. Just less intense in upper register.
Micro/macro dynamics are there. I would look a bit closer into your source and figure out if it is in fact what’s holding it back?

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #870 of 1,497
They scale extremely well. Any changes in your audio chain, crappy mastering or compression will be displayed in most unapologetic way.
Few others that participate in this ADX experiment (different thread), seem to agree that quality tube amp works really well with these Headphones. We all agree that they can be a bit to bright at times and that extreme airiness might need to be tamed with components that are less analytical. Softer, warmer if you will. It doesn’t mean less detailed. Just less intense in upper register.
Micro/macro dynamics are there. I would look a bit closer into your source and figure out if it is in fact what’s holding it back?
I haven't been buying audio stuff for years until recently...
My current setup is a Bladelius usb dac with upgraded power supply and usb cable. Music is played through JPlay (hibernate mode) streamed from Tidal. RCA cables are all upgraded too. Any thoughts?

For now I want to upgrade the amp first. It's not a cheap ss (~$1500), and the maker claimed that it competes with much higher priced amps. But it seems to eat some of the micro details on a few headphones. It makes the large sound stage sound a bit empty.

A nice tube amp sounds great. I still remember the he90/hev90 that I tried and its golden/crystal clear sound, maybe the ADX5000 has a potential to approach that with a great amp? Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get something of value to see what a "correctly" powered ADX5000 sounds like, and is it really the amp's problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back