2015 vsonic iem lineup VSD2, VSD7, VSD9
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #826 of 1,050
  EQing down the 5,6 and 8kHz by 3 and 4,5dB respectively really makes the VSDS2 (with foam tips) more enjoyable. Without the EQ, they just sound very harsh and unnatural in the treble. There is still some "hardness" to the sound, but given the price, it's definitely okay.

I agree, the VSD2S are good for the price but the treble is on the edge of what I would consider tolerable.  I haven't tried foam tips yet though and I don't usually bother with EQ.  I think the comparisons that the VSD2S is a 'mini VSD5' sells the VSD5 short.  The treble on the VSD5 while also pronounced is more textured and is a pleasure to listen to.  The bass on the VSD5 also goes much deeper and has more impact.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #827 of 1,050
Imo the treble on the vsd2s is better then on the vsd5 
popcorn.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #828 of 1,050
  Imo the treble on the vsd2s is better then on the vsd5 
popcorn.gif

Care to elaborate how?  The treble on the VSD2S reminds me of a toned down MEelec M6.  Overall they are good though and I like them more than the VSD3, which I think lack in the mids too much to really enjoy.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #830 of 1,050
  I think the vsd5 is a little bit to much in your face.. Like it´s screaming at you. 

I could see that, I think the VSD5 might have more of a hump.  I'll need to A/B them with the VSD2S a bit more and try a few different tips.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #831 of 1,050
Just picked up a pair of VSD2S from a fellow local Head-fier NIB for $40 and I must say I am impressed. Here is what I think so far using my iPod and iPhone 5:

Comfort: Top notch! Very light housings that fit my small elf ears perfectly when wearing them over-ear style.

Build: Smooth and no jagged or sharp edges. All of the rubber and plastic pieces look high quality with no burs or seams. The cable is thin but feels like it is durable enough and is of high quality. Microphonics before the split is non-existent, with very little present after.

Packaging and pack-ins: Really nice. The box makes you feel like you are getting a premium product. The included tips seem like they are decent enough but I never tried any yet as I immediately through on a pair of Comply T400 foamies. The included shirt clip is very tight to slip on to the cord and TBH I haven't got it on yet for fear of snapping it. Also included is a nice faux-velvet pouch.

First Impression on sound signature: Honestly reminded me of a mini beyerdynamic DT 770; Strong enhanced bass that is pretty well controlled with just a little looseness to add a bit of fun, smooth detailed mids that are pretty forward but not super in-your-face, and crisp and sparkly treble that is on the cusp of being bright with a roll-off at the extreme top end.

Soundstage: Good width and height. Depth could be better but I wouldn't call it flat.

Accentuation or harshness to sibilance: My ears are super sensitive to this, and I find it well controlled. Normal to higher than average listening volume - None. Only when listening to certain tracks at loud volume do I hear not so much accentuation rather a small bit of peakiness; Ss and Ts don't sound smeared or harsh, but can sound V-shaped at the extremes (if that makes any sense). i.e. Rob Halford or Floor Jansen hitting the high power notes. 

Overall I can say these are sleeper hits at $40. I have only put in a couple of hours of listening thus far, but so far I am impressed.

beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #832 of 1,050
  Just picked up a pair of VSD2S from a fellow local Head-fier NIB for $40 and I must say I am impressed. Here is what I think so far using my iPod and iPhone 5:

Comfort: Top notch! Very light housings that fit my small elf ears perfectly when wearing them over-ear style.

Build: Smooth and no jagged or sharp edges. All of the rubber and plastic pieces look high quality with no burs or seams. The cable is thin but feels like it is durable enough and is of high quality. Microphonics before the split is non-existent, with very little present after.

Packaging and pack-ins: Really nice. The box makes you feel like you are getting a premium product. The included tips seem like they are decent enough but I never tried any yet as I immediately through on a pair of Comply T400 foamies. The included shirt clip is very tight to slip on to the cord and TBH I haven't got it on yet for fear of snapping it. Also included is a nice faux-velvet pouch.

First Impression on sound signature: Honestly reminded me of a mini beyerdynamic DT 770; Strong enhanced bass that is pretty well controlled with just a little looseness to add a bit of fun, smooth detailed mids that are pretty forward but not super in-your-face, and crisp and sparkly treble that is on the cusp of being bright with a roll-off at the extreme top end.

Soundstage: Good width and height. Depth could be better but I wouldn't call it flat.

Accentuation or harshness to sibilance: My ears are super sensitive to this, and I find it well controlled. Normal to higher than average listening volume - None. Only when listening to certain tracks at loud volume do I hear not so much accentuation rather a small bit of peakiness; Ss and Ts don't sound smeared or harsh, but can sound V-shaped at the extremes (if that makes any sense). i.e. Rob Halford or Floor Jansen hitting the high power notes. 

Overall I can say these are sleeper hits at $40. I have only put in a couple of hours of listening thus far, but so far I am impressed.

beerchug.gif

lol that´s how i would describe them. Exactly xD
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #833 of 1,050
  Sent out my an16 back to lmue today. Giving the vsd2s a decent listen now with spin tips. Certainly they remind me of the vsd5 though not as warm. Originally ordered the vsd2s for the an16 but the vsd2s are certainly not a disappointment and perform very well. Also this cable on them is pretty nice.

Did LMUE send you tracking for the replacement pair?

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #834 of 1,050
Thanks for the advice guys, I left two notes for the delivery person, one on my mailbox, the other by my front door, and it worked! My brother paid for the order, so I let him take his pick of the two, and he picked the AN16s. :frowning2: This bummed me out a bit, but given that he paid for the earphones (I'm still paying him back half) and that he doesn't really have any other quality IEMs, I was still glad to let him keep the AN16s. He said that he thought they were great, so I'm happy.

Now, I got the VSD2 and have been listening to them since last night, and I must say, that I am pleasantly surprised. First off, I love their design from both an aesthetic and ergonomic perspective. Not only do they look great, they are very, very comfortable. More comfortable then I remember my SE215s being. The cable, like many others have said, is quite thin, but it's very lightweight and seems durable. It also looks great, and does not bother my ears even without use of the provided earguides. The jack is the area I'm most concerned about as far durability goes. There is no strain relief and the jack is sleeved in a hard plastic. As for accessories, I already broke the shirt clip when trying to squeeze the cable into them lol. I just clip the cable to my shirt all together. The housings looks great, with their smokey slightly translucent finish. Got a great seal using the large silicone tips. 

As for the sound, my initial impressions are that they are quite warm and laid back, practically no sibilance. They remind me of the SE215s, but instead of sounding congested, the overall presentation of the VSD2 is quite nice and has impressed me quite a bit. It's weird because the sound is very warm and rounded (not sharp at all), but detail retrieval doesn't suffer all that much, and separation is good and imaging is even better. Just a very well mixed/composed/layered sonic presentation that just gives a sense that you're listening to a quality set of earphones, which you are! I wouldn't say that the sound signature is my preference (I actually like bright treble and intimate vocals), but I can really appreciate what VSonic has done here and believe that the driver they have used is has great technical ability. And with their negative profile and laid back sound, they make a great sleep IEM. They also isolate really well (I don't see any ports) and are very comfortable and secure which would make them great for commuting and gym use. Vocals are a bit veiled, but compared to my JCS FX40s, I think they are pretty good. Nothing like the vocals on the RE-400 though. Bass is solid and decently punchy and well-controlled. 

For $40, I really think these are a really great buy. Not only is the design fantastic, but they have a very easy going sound. Let's just hope that they last, which I personally think they will. I think they'd make a great gift for people who aren't into this hobby, or even for people that are, like me! If anything, the VSD2 has now made me curious as to how the VSD2S sound! And the VSD3... And VSD5... Here we go again.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #839 of 1,050
  Do you have the VSD2 or the VSD2s? If you have the VSD2, the JVC FX40s would probably drive you mad lol. I find the VSD2 to be quite warm and smooth. It's like a refined version of a general, consumer-oriented sound, to me at least.

I have the 2S, so I guess we don't have the same earphones :p But doesn't S mean "less V-shaped" in Vsonic nomenclature? It's the case with the VSD3(S) and VSD1(S).

Even the S sounds harsh to me and I EQ'd down the 5,6 and 8kHz frequencies. My beloved fullsize headphone is the Philips Fidelio X2, which definitely has a warm tilt, but doesn't have rolled off or heavily recessed treble either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back