2013 LA Regional Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #196 of 240
Nope...as long as they have their kit XD
Quote:

Okay, it's a little far.  But just imagine being stuck in a large moving object, traveling at high speed, from which there is no escape, with a bunch of fellow Head-Fiers!  COULD ANYTHING BE FUNNER THAN THAT?! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #198 of 240
Are we talk'n braut's n beer? With headphones and Schiit?
Don't cha know. Count me in Bubba

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #199 of 240
Quote:
So, I have a small request for y'all.  As you can imagine, Ethan and I are already planning the next meet... the next two meets actually. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on things we could do better?  Things to add or take away?  We've already got some improvements figured out, and we're eager to make each meet better than the one before. 
smile.gif

I almost regret posting this as it feels like nitpicking, but you asked for it.

These are a few small suggestions. I'll probably offer little to no logistical solutions, that's all you.

1. Tables: I found it pretty difficult to get in and out from behind the tables. Since there wasn't any spacing between them to exit, I ended up having to walk all the way around. With each step praying that I wouldn't trip and fall into one of the beautiful Eddie Current amps. So if possible leave at least one space in the middle to get in and out.

Also, placing the tables corner to corner instead of flush in a square would give more table space for equipment. I realize that the rooms were small, and I'm not sure that would have been possible, just an observation.

Space permitting, a small table with chairs all around for eating, drinking, drinking (21+), or relaxing/chatting. I know many of us were running around the whole time and barely stopped to eat, but it might be a nice idea. 

2. Chairs: Some of the smaller rooms could have used more chairs at the stations. There were a few stations with 3 or more setups and only 1 or 2 chairs. Again, you can't make chairs appearthat weren't provided, but something to consider. 

3. Lanyards: This one feels stupid even now as I type it, BUT... those lanyards had a mind of their own. Constantly twisting. I saw numerous people, including myself, with backwards lanyards. I won't go into the reasons it matters or doesn't, just another observation. 

Larger avatar images would be fantastic. It was near the end of the show when Insidious meme, Jude, and myself were standing around talking about the badges when we finally realized that there were avatars on our badges. I loved the idea of having them on there as I do normally identify a number of members by their Avatars. That being said, I'm not going to lean into their chest so I can see close enough to tell who is who. 

4. Fun event? I haven't really thought this out in detail, but just the idea of it seems like something I would participate in while at a meet. Maybe offer some kind of fun events or game during the meet. Something people could do while they are going around. Maybe even offer some small prize at the end. Or a station that does a "name that tune" kind of game for candy. You get the idea. Just something fun that could be incorporated into the meet but not take away from the overall purpose of the meet.

I know that these are all random things. I wouldn't have even remembered them had I not seen your post and decided to give it some thought. 

Thanks again for all the hard work and many hours of dedication that all of you put into making the meeting such a great experience. I know I'll be showing up to the next one. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #200 of 240
1. I agree this was an issue. I saw cords get yanked because of this as well; the layout could certainly have been done better.

2. Personally I disagree, I think that would detract from what I found to be a very personal experience of listening to other people's rigs and having time (and space) to talk to them without distraction.

3. I think the swivel thing is a bit picky, but the easy solution is to make them double sided. Agreed that larger avatars could have been cool.

4. Agreed! I think it could be fun to have competitions: best sounding rig (obviously this will be met with resistance but personally I think it would still be fun), best looking rig, best sounding/looking portable rig, most creative mods, most effective mods...things like this could motivate some people to take their gear to the next level and I think it would be fun.

I almost regret posting this as it feels like nitpicking, but you asked for it.

These are a few small suggestions. I'll probably offer little to no logistical solutions, that's all you.

1. Tables: I found it pretty difficult to get in and out from behind the tables. Since there wasn't any spacing between them to exit, I ended up having to walk all the way around. With each step praying that I wouldn't trip and fall into one of the beautiful Eddie Current amps. So if possible leave at least one space in the middle to get in and out.

Also, placing the tables corner to corner instead of flush in a square would give more table space for equipment. I realize that the rooms were small, and I'm not sure that would have been possible, just an observation.

Space permitting, a small table with chairs all around for eating, drinking, drinking (21+), or relaxing/chatting. I know many of us were running around the whole time and barely stopped to eat, but it might be a nice idea. 

2. Chairs: Some of the smaller rooms could have used more chairs at the stations. There were a few stations with 3 or more setups and only 1 or 2 chairs. Again, you can't make chairs appearthat weren't provided, but something to consider. 

3. Lanyards: This one feels stupid even now as I type it, BUT... those lanyards had a mind of their own. Constantly twisting. I saw numerous people, including myself, with backwards lanyards. I won't go into the reasons it matters or doesn't, just another observation. 

Larger avatar images would be fantastic. It was near the end of the show when Insidious meme, Jude, and myself were standing around talking about the badges when we finally realized that there were avatars on our badges. I loved the idea of having them on there as I do normally identify a number of members by their Avatars. That being said, I'm not going to lean into their chest so I can see close enough to tell who is who. 

4. Fun event? I haven't really thought this out in detail, but just the idea of it seems like something I would participate in while at a meet. Maybe offer some kind of fun events or game during the meet. Something people could do while they are going around. Maybe even offer some small prize at the end. Or a station that does a "name that tune" kind of game for candy. You get the idea. Just something fun that could be incorporated into the meet but not take away from the overall purpose of the meet.

I know that these are all random things. I wouldn't have even remembered them had I not seen your post and decided to give it some thought. 

Thanks again for all the hard work and many hours of dedication that all of you put into making the meeting such a great experience. I know I'll be showing up to the next one. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #201 of 240
1. I agree this was an issue. I saw cords get yanked because of this as well; the layout could certainly have been done better.

Yes definitely i tripped over 7 headphones and face first into a class a amp :).

Yeah it was quite a problem i had to crawl under tables, also sitting in between craig, justin, and donald was oh so akward, they were like ..? Youre a dealer?
2. Personally I disagree, I think that would detract from what I found to be a very personal experience of listening to other people's rigs and having time (and space) to talk to them without distraction.

3. I think the swivel thing is a bit picky, but the easy solution is to make them double sided. Agreed that larger avatars could have been cool.

4. Agreed! I think it could be fun to have competitions: best sounding rig (obviously this will be met with resistance but personally I think it would still be fun), best looking rig, best sounding/looking portable rig, most creative mods, most effective mods...things like this could motivate some people to take their gear to the next level and I think it would be fun,

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #202 of 240
Signage at the tables--just simple cards like Frank Cooter's (though with more specific information).  This was the first meet I've attended, and I would have loved to have seen a sign, or signs, at each table that identified all the components in a rig.  And, if the plot Warren posted wasn't at the registration table (I didn't see one when I came in the afternoon), it would have been great to have had a plot at the sign-in table identifying the show layout.  And if not that, then just a list by room and table.  (And if the plot was at the table: force it on me!)

I'm still kicking myself a bit for walking right past some wonderful gear.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #204 of 240
They had those maps printed and were available at the sign in area.

I do agree that cards identifying the gear is a good idea. It can save owners the time lost answering some of the same questions many times over.

The Eddie Current table had similar cards identifying the gear and If it was for sale, alongwith the price. It was very useful.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #205 of 240
I wanted to print out a card listing all my gear there!
My OCD kicked in - and I wish I had done so.

Next time for SURE:

Audeze LCD3
Sennheiser HD 800
Grado SR 225i's
ALO Studio Six tube headphone amp
Synergystic Research Tranquility Base XL  - active platform
MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC
MacBook Pro SSD running Amarra / MOG / Spotify via Amarra SonicStream
All wired w/ Nordost Heimdall 2 + Nordost Quantum QB8 for power & 1 Qx2
Excluding USB cable: That was Light Harmonic
Headphones wired w/ Cardas Clear

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #206 of 240
Quote:

Nicely presented, MM! The Base XL still has my attention. In fact, the above pix put me in discovery mode! If I were the owner (not true, I wanna know anyway 
biggrin.gif
) I would want to know the following: can camera quality improve by being placed on the Base XL with timer set? Something to think about next time you're crushed in LA traffic. Just don't create any "Sig-Alerts!"

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #207 of 240
One of the common "games" at vendor conferences is to have cards with a matrix of squares with numbers, letters or symbols. Scattered throughout the conference at the table stations are different stickers or ink stamps that match the squares on the card. As you walk around, when you find a station with a square you don't have, you ask them to stamp or put a sticker on your card. When your card is full, you can drop it in a box for drawings that occur a few times during the day. The drawings don't have to be expensive items - just some inexpensive swag like a vendor T-Shirt or a mousepad.

I do think the vendors are missing some marketing opportunities - I know you are all very small businesses - but some cheap logo swag can really go a long way at these types of events. Complete strangers will walk up to each other and say: "Where did you get that mousepad?" (or whatever). The customer that takes the mousepad home sees your logo every day - which means he thinks of your company and your products every day. One of the trends at conferences is that the vendor only gives you the swag *if* you show them your badge and let them write down your name & email address. Then it's a quid pro quo - the vendor gets a lead, the customer gets a piece of cheap swag. Win-win!

Of course, the vendors can also have their own games - enter a drawing if you listen and provide your contact info, or whatever. I was surprised that the vendors did not all want to know who I am - if I was a vendor, generating leads would be my primary purpose for attending a meet like that. Maybe that's being too commercial for this hobby? But if I'm an MoT, isn't that what everyone expects? As long as it wasn't done in an obnoxious way, I don;t see anything wrong with a vendor doing some marketing at these events. It's the price I'm willing to pay to get to listen to their gear at the meet.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #208 of 240
I think the vendors at these kinds of events generally know that using pressure tactics are both ineffective and often produce undesirable results with such expensive products that are entirely taste-dependent; if they leave you with a funky feeling about your $500-$1000 purchase, you'll probably return it and go for something else. If they're smart, they recognize that this is all about preference, and that ultimately it doesn't matter what they say or do: if you like the product, you will keep it, and if not, you will return it. And they can't make you like it.

That said, I'm sure they have to be very good sales people to get the job they have, and are good at separating a potential purchase from someone who just wants to listen.
One of the common "games" at vendor conferences is to have cards with a matrix of squares with numbers, letters or symbols. Scattered throughout the conference at the table stations are different stickers or ink stamps that match the squares on the card. As you walk around, when you find a station with a square you don't have, you ask them to stamp or put a sticker on your card. When your card is full, you can drop it in a box for drawings that occur a few times during the day. The drawings don't have to be expensive items - just some inexpensive swag like a vendor T-Shirt or a mousepad.

I do think the vendors are missing some marketing opportunities - I know you are all very small businesses - but some cheap logo swag can really go a long way at these types of events. Complete strangers will walk up to each other and say: "Where did you get that mousepad?" (or whatever). The customer that takes the mousepad home sees your logo every day - which means he thinks of your company and your products every day. One of the trends at conferences is that the vendor only gives you the swag *if* you show them your badge and let them write down your name & email address. Then it's a quid pro quo - the vendor gets a lead, the customer gets a piece of cheap swag. Win-win!

Of course, the vendors can also have their own games - enter a drawing if you listen and provide your contact info, or whatever. I was surprised that the vendors did not all want to know who I am - if I was a vendor, generating leads would be my primary purpose for attending a meet like that. Maybe that's being too commercial for this hobby? But if I'm an MoT, isn't that what everyone expects? As long as it wasn't done in an obnoxious way, I don;t see anything wrong with a vendor doing some marketing at these events. It's the price I'm willing to pay to get to listen to their gear at the meet.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #209 of 240
Yeah - I'm not saying they should be hooking people and brow-beating them into submission - but I think there is pleasant & acceptable marketing that could be done to both raise interest and make the event even more fun.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #210 of 240
Quote:
Yeah - I'm not saying they should be hooking people and brow-beating them into submission - but I think there is pleasant & acceptable marketing that could be done to both raise interest and make the event even more fun.

On this point, what Head-Fi and vendors could creatively do is invite member participation. Think Hollywood and DVD or TV Season Finale with a vote for alternate endings. Leading up to a show, members could vote on the upcoming show's theme among a few carefully scripted choices. In this way, even members who couldn't make the show would perhaps still feel involved. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back