2012 Olympis and Beats by Dre
Jul 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shockdoc

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like Head-Fi'ers aren't the only ones who aren't enamored with Beats. 
biggrin.gif

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--beats-by-dre-gives-headphones-to-british-athletes--angering-ioc.html

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Looks like Head-Fi'ers aren't the only ones who aren't enamored with Beats. 
biggrin.gif

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--beats-by-dre-gives-headphones-to-british-athletes--angering-ioc.html

This practice is honestly disgusting.  Beats by Dre should be ashamed of trying to use Olympic Athletes to advertise their products when they could actually support the Games by using their massive profit margins (and thus probably increasing their profits in the process).

An athlete should be able to wear their choice of headphones, yes.  Yet doing something as obvious as "giving out" their product for free publicity should be looked upon with universal disdain.

And yes, I'd say the same for any other company out there, Head-Fi quality or not.  Panasonic supports the Olympic Games, they should have the single right to see their product advertised on a mass-scale.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 17
Shockdoc- we were sharing the same brain cells today!! I was just going to make a thread on this, when I saw this one on the 'recent discussions' list at the bottom. The guardian's article sheds light on this too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/31/dr-dre-beats-olympic-brand-police

These guys have passed all boundaries. Forget them being a hated brand within the headphone society. They are fast becoming a hated brand within the WORLD society.....

....BUT hold your horses. If you think this is shocking, errrr, you clearly haven't come across a brand called 'apple.' 

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Shockdoc- we were sharing the same brain cells today!! I was just going to make a thread on this, when I saw this one on the 'recent discussions' list at the bottom. The guardian's article sheds light on this too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/31/dr-dre-beats-olympic-brand-police

These guys have passed all boundaries. Forget them being a hated brand within the headphone society. They are fast becoming a hated brand within the WORLD society.....

....BUT hold your horses. If you think this is shocking, errrr, you clearly haven't come across a brand called 'apple.' 

Not to sound ignorant, but has Apple done a similar scheme?

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 17
Head-fi'er may not like it, but Beats will probably be the Apple (ipods, iphones, etc.) of headphones, if it isn't already.

Kids are crazy for these things, kids rather buy a fake Beats PRO (knowing they're fake) for $100 than buy a M50

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Head-fi'er may not like it, but Beats will probably be the Apple of headphones, if it isn't already.

Kids are crazy for these things, kids rather buy a fake Beats PRO (knowing they're fake) for $100 than buy a M50

Sorry if this is off-topic...

This is a bad analogy, because Apple makes quite the decent product.  The trackpads and keyboards are top-notch, as are the unibody structures.  Additionally, a native UNIX-based OS is something that PCs just can't match.  Furthermore, the components used, from the screen to the build to the specific models of hard drives and processors, are top-of-the-line.  Due to this, a I've found a good Apple computer will last at least for a good 4-6 years, and still sell for more than the PC that breaks in 1.5.

Finally, for the components used in an Apple computer, they're not THAT overpriced taking the above points into consideration.

As an actual computer scientist, I know that I as well as many others in the field will happily swear by the brand.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm just going to assume RoMee was more referring to the iProduct (phone/ipod/pad/whatever) instead of the computer line.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Sorry if this is off-topic...

This is a bad analogy, because Apple makes quite the decent product.  The trackpads and keyboards are top-notch, as are the unibody structures.  Additionally, a native UNIX-based OS is something that PCs just can't match.  Furthermore, the components used, from the screen to the build to the specific models of hard drives and processors, are top-of-the-line.  Due to this, a I've found a good Apple computer will last at least for a good 4-6 years, and still sell for more than the PC that breaks in 1.5.

Finally, for the components used in an Apple computer, they're not THAT overpriced taking the above points into consideration.

As an actual computer scientist, I know that I as well as many others in the field will happily swear by the brand.

Agreed, even though I'm a Windows guy (just because it's what I've grown up with and been used to). My biggest hope with Windows 8 is actually to do with the hardware: that the OEMs will begin designing laptops that are worth my time. Ultrabooks have been a hit or miss mess, mostly miss, 1366x768 resolution is still the poor standard, trackpads are still poor, keyboards are still poor, many of the designs are blatant Apple copies. 

I will never be an Apple guy (Windows and Android), but I'm not a fanboy and will admit that Apple products are quality. The comparison with Beats is only in terms of how much they control the public image of their field.

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
This is all about advertising. Please read the article. 

So apple advertising is honest, genuine, not forced/aggressive and generally fair??

I would argue that I have not seen ANY of Apple's advertising approach the level of trying to trick its way into an illegitimate Olympics sponsorship.

The Olympics is an entity that many look up to with great respect.  To tread on that respect by trying to trick those who compete in the Games is almost as low as I think it goes.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
I would argue that I have not seen ANY of Apple's advertising approach the level of trying to trick its way into an illegitimate Olympics sponsorship.

The Olympics is an entity that many look up to with great respect.  To tread on that respect by trying to trick those who compete in the Games is almost as low as I think it goes.

hmmm, maybe you haven't seen it. But apple have done things in the marketing world far beyond that. Way more serious. Were talking illegitimate blackmail, threats, court cases and so on for a period of over 20 years that have had far reaching effects (ill effects- not to apple and their fanboys though) felt throughout the world. Not even a week passes without a new one. Even this week, the story of them strangling samsung and their market share lives on, with even judges in court admitting to the blatedness of their antics by asking apple to run an advertisement to cleanly apologise that 'samsung didn't copy the ipad.'  

I still can't understand all the blatant apple fanboys raging at beats marketing strategies and ploys. A pure trick I distinctly remember is when the original iphone came out the tv screens blared videos of super fast web browsing capabilities to entice buyers in their millions. What they didn't realise was that the sequence in the video was sped up, bigtime sped up. Oh, too bad for the people that fell for it (in their millions). A nice way to gain entry into the market, don't you agree.

This olypics trick is a nasty one by beats and does show the shallowness of the entire brand, their product and what they stand for. Clearly they don't mind being categorised with the big boys- like apple. That's my point. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 17
"The ambush by Dre has been particularly successful in the Aquatics Centre, with virtually every swimmer at the Games now using headphones to tune out background noise as they walk toward the pool before races."

That's funny because I noticed last night that Michael Phelps was wearing Soul by Ludacris, even once everyone else had ditched their headphones to get ready for the race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back