2012 Headphone Meet @ LAX Hilton - Saturday, August 18, 2012 - OFFICIAL THREAD
Jun 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #121 of 483
In addition to the stuff I said I'd bring earlier on in the thread, I'll also be bringing what I've come to call my "porta-reference rig". It's an Archos 101 G9 Turbo that outputs to a FiiO E17, then to a TTVJ Slim, to cans. If anyone would like to hear this porta-reference combo with their own stuff, load it up onto a hard drive, flash drive, or a micro SD card, as the Archos has the ability to host them all.

Also, I'll be bringing my Chris_Himself recabled LCD-2 Rev. 2 Bamboo:

Kojaku

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #124 of 483
Purrin,
I will be attending (along with my father to help man the booth while I'm talking with others) and likely staying at the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights for ease of set-up and break-down. Please set aside a large vendor table for me with enough room alongside for my entire audio rack. I also request at least two hours for set-up before it starts and my rack needs to be directly near an outlet so that my 1m cord can reach my regenerator.

Also, I am really anxious for people to hear this and provide feedback:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613092/hd650-piggybacked-on-the-hd800-possibly-best-headphone-sound-ever-i-say-yes

I think many will be pleasantly surprised by the results, especially fans of both the HD800 and Audez'e cans, who wish they had the best of both worlds in one phone. It may sound silly but one should reserve judgment until they hear it the way I have it set up. And as such you can also add a pair of HD650 to the gear list. I'm going to also be contacting some of the headphone manufacturers and try to get some loaner pairs as well to demo with my gear.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #126 of 483
Will do. I'll have a table setup with space next to it. I'm sure you will be there early to setup.

Thanks. Well I'll be getting there Friday night and staying there. It's just way too much work to go from house to setting up all in one morning with so much stuff. Did you set up any special room rate deal with the hotel like they did at CanJam?

Not sure what time you plan on starting the meet officially but I'll likely need two hours of setup beforehand.

Also with regards to the table, I'd like the audio rack to go on the right side, and I'll need about 3-4 feet of clearance because I might put it on an angle so people can see the cables and cords used. The outlet should ideally be behind the audio rack. This way the table will be used to hold the headphones, computer monitor, iPad, remotes, and display the cables and cords (the ones not in use in the system anyway). Three or four chairs in front of the table would be ideal.

I forgot, how long did you say the tables were? I'm just trying to plan it out. Thanks. :) The longer the better.

If anyone is willing to volunteer an LCD3 and an HE-6 for my table it would be appreciated, i.e. if you don't plan on bringing your own components and want to see them get good use.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing everyone there again. It's been a long time.

Most curious headphone to hear: SR-009

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #127 of 483
I need to purchase some headphones as soon as possible, but I need to hear them before I buy them.
I'm seriously interested in the Alessandro MS1i and the Grado SR225i, along with the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990. I would always like to try some Sennheisers as well. Does anyone know any stores that I can try these headphones in? I'm totally new to the hi-fi market. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #128 of 483
Quote:
I need to purchase some headphones as soon as possible, but I need to hear them before I buy them.
I'm seriously interested in the Alessandro MS1i and the Grado SR225i, along with the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990. I would always like to try some Sennheisers as well. Does anyone know any stores that I can try these headphones in? I'm totally new to the hi-fi market. Thanks!

If you wanna hear the entire grado line-up, I heard the entire line at Shelley's woodland hills. They're the only Grado dealer that bothers to amp and source them correctly and leaves you alone with whatever model you'd like, for as long as you need.

I should warn you that scaling is a very important factor with the Grado line-up. They begin as lower tier mid-fi cans, but through careful modification end up closer to the higher mid-fi cans, or the bottom of hi-fi. The DT880 is a great can out of the box, though a fair amount more expensive. A little bitey and closed-in for my taste, but I also modded my Grado's to take the edge off. Senns, except for the top 2 models, the 700 and 800, are characteristically dark/laid-back. It's all up to your preference.

Kojaku

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #129 of 483
I'll have a 6' table and be there with at least two Mad Dog headphones, a Burson 160D, and a 2nd DAC/Amp TBD.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #130 of 483
^ When did MoT happen?  Wow, congrats man, glad to see you do this. You are truly one of the top pioneers for fostex! I remember when I heard them at the San Diego meet last year. Amazing!

I think I can commit to this now :)

Here's what I can bring, although, I may be switching my gear around fairly soon. I have a bit of a collection, so I guess it depends what people are interested in hearing. 

Headphones:

AKG K501
AKG Q701
Denon D7000
Sennheiser HD580
Hifiman HE-6

Amps:

Little Dot MKVI+
Audio-GD NFB-10SE (if anyone's interested  DAC/Amp combo)

Sources:

Audio-GD reference 1

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #131 of 483
Hi Purrin. I plan to be there too with CA equipment. I will need a 6' table. I'll be bringing:

Liquid Fire
Liquid Lightning
with any luck a pre-production Liquid Glass
LCD2-2
HE6
SR507
SR009
BDP95
Possibly another source.

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #132 of 483
Quote:
^ When did MoT happen?  Wow, congrats man, glad to see you do this. You are truly one of the top pioneers for fostex! I remember when I heard them at the San Diego meet last year. Amazing!

I think I can commit to this now :)

Hi!  MOT is pretty recent, but WIP for about a year...   Thanks for the nice comments; I hope you'll enjoy the latest, too!  See you in August...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #133 of 483
Would like some table space too for:
KGSSHV.
Don't have yet a better DAC than a DEQ2694 and a gamma 2,so I'll bring both.
MacBook Pro
SR007, Sigma//404

Users who are viewing this thread

Back