2012 College Football Thread
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 210
Tennessee looked good, I was impressed with Bray's performance, and Patterson... where did he come from?!? I didn't expect that, a Jr college transfer schooled All-American David Amerson, not once, but twice.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 210
Tennessee did look good. Wow.

And yes, Bell literally carried MSU offensively. He reminded me that in college, one single player can still have a massive impact on the outcome of a game, much more than ever happens in the pros.

This ND - Navy game is a joke. I hope it's that Navy is going to have a down year, not that ND is this much better. I hate the fighting Leprechauns.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 210
I think UCLA has an excellent shot against #15 Nebraska this weekend. They're only 5.5 pt underdogs and Jim Mora is perfect for that team. This also coincides with UCLA's general athletic revival (centered around the newly-renovated Pauley Pavilion which opens in November).

I also expect UCLA men's basketball to return to major relevance this year. Yes under Howland. It's a good time to play out of Westwood!

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #19 of 210
Yeah I would not be too confident if I were the Huskers.  They could be in for a battle.

I think Pitt might have a hard time winning two games this year.

I will also be looking forward very much to seeing how USC handles Syracuse, given our tussle with them last weekend.  And I hope we can handle Vandy here in Evanston.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 210
Tennessee cruises this week with Georgia State, I didn't even know they had a football program, but we hit the meat of the SEC schedule after that with Florida. Yeah, we play Alabama, Georgia, and Florida this year, all within 30 days. Bugger. :xf_eek:

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 210
Pitt did look quite bad. But Syracuse is up against a very different opponent this weekend. USC should beat the Orange by at least 30. Vandy does look tough, will be a good test!

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 210
Yes, I agree that USC should beat Syracuse by 30.  But of course for my own personal reasons I hope they won't :wink:

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 210
I'll be at the A&M vs Florida game tomorrow. It's A&M's first game in the SEC, I'm fairly certain that we are going to get owned, but I've been surprised before.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 210
Should be a very fun atmosphere!!!

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 210
Quote:
Anyone think Michigan can keep it within 2 touchdowns? I'm feeling something like 49-10 Alabama.

In other news, OU plays diddly to start the season. Still, week 1 is on the road against UTEP with a late kickoff.

I've been a Sooner fan longer than any other of my favorite teams, and that game didn't impress me. I realize it was the first game and on the road, but they should have handled them much easier than they did imo. Of course UTEP may turn out to be a great team this year but I still think OU should have won a lot easier. But I do know this, if OU loses to Notre Dame, I will drink myself into oblivion and likely never be the same. My all-time favorite college football team, against a team that I hope loses by 100 every week

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #26 of 210
"BIG GAMES in 2012:

Sept. 1, Michigan vs. Alabama at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas. The annual opener at Jerry Jones' funhouse has had some great matchups in the past. This one could be the best of the bunch.
Sept. 15, Alabama at Arkansas. Winner could get the inside track on a national-title run.
Sept. 22, Michigan at Notre Dame. Last season's epic finish makes this a must-watch.
Oct. 13, Oklahoma vs. Texas in Dallas. The Red River rivalry continues after all the conference shuffling and could become epic again with these two teams on the rise.
Oct. 27, Notre Dame at Oklahoma. A rare meeting between power programs.
Nov. 3, Alabama at LSU. We may not get sucked into calling it the Game of the Century again, but it still figures to have national-title implications.
Nov. 3, Oregon at USC. Triple digits in combined points is a possibility with all those playmakers on the field.
Nov. 24, Michigan at Ohio State. Meyer is running the Buckeyes and Michigan appears to be back. This rivalry could be heating back up."

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 210
Quote:

I've been a Sooner fan longer than any other of my favorite teams, and that game didn't impress me. I realize it was the first game and on the road, but they should have handled them much easier than they did imo. Of course UTEP may turn out to be a great team this year but I still think OU should have won a lot easier. But I do know this, if OU loses to Notre Dame, I will drink myself into oblivion and likely never be the same. My all-time favorite college football team, against a team that I hope loses by 100 every week

It's' good to see another Sooner fan. I hope Virometal shows up yet. There are also a couple of others who post regularly and I look forward to reading their thoughts as well. 

Anyhow, I know what you mean. The defense made a couple of mistakes, but there were certain players missing who will be back in week 2. I'm quite confident that the defense will be stellar this season, generally. The biggest concern seems like it's on offense. I think all the pieces are there; they just need game time to gel and become more cohesive. I think Josh Heupel is competent, so I'm not really that worried.

I don't see #8 this year, honestly. @WVU is going to be brutal. If OU loses to ND in Norman, I'll drive to southwestern Washington and I'll drink myself into the same oblivion as you.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 210
I know the Mountaineers rolled up big on the Herd, but I'm not sold on them as a top 10 team. And we will learn nothing about them this weekend unless the choke against FCS JMU at home, which ain't happening.

Some interesting games this weekend:

'Canes - 'Cats
Nittanies - Wahoos
Falcons - Wolverines
Boilers - Domers
Cy - Hawk
Huskers - Bruins

And the two welcome to the SEC games. Pretty decent weekend of games, really. My TVs will get a workout until I leave for Ryan Field - since we play at night I will get most of the other games in first.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 210
I'll be at the A&M vs Florida game tomorrow. It's A&M's first game in the SEC, I'm fairly certain that we are going to get owned, but I've been surprised before.

This is not the Florida of years past, they're vulnerable. Their D-line isn't epic right now, only "SEC average".

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 210
Not sure what expectations Utah had for this season, but if they don't wake up soon they will get beaten badly by UtahState.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back