2011 College Football Thread
Sep 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #196 of 564

Quote:
There could be 100 total points scored in that game. Should be a lot of fun. I hope that game is in a different time slot than our game with Illinois next week.

You should be fine.  I believe Nebraska/Wisconsin is under the lights in Madison. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #197 of 564
Quote:
Argh. ASU crushed my Trojans.
frown.gif
I guess we'll have to play the Beavers twice this year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, I did not expect that game to turn out that way.  But what the heck is going on with Oregon State!

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #198 of 564
The NCAA should grant an exception to Boston College and an exception to Oregon State so that they can play in a bowl game together at the end of the year. Bissell, Hoover, and Dyson could all sponsor the game. Cleveland Browns Stadium could be the site for the game. 

OU sure did treat Missouri to a night of dinner and drinks, dancing, and general splendor. Here I thought OU would take Tigger and move the game to the super secret stadium 10 miles south of Norman in Slaughterville, OK. I'll give props to Missouri, though, as they played well and that Mizzou QB is pretty darn good. 

I'm not sure what happened to Ryan Tannehill on Saturday. Any way, hopefully the Aggies get another parting gift in Norman before getting the heck out. Good riddance to 'em. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #199 of 564
Tannehill is a 23 year-old senior that got beaten by the 27 year-old Brandon Weedon, who set the Cowboys passing record yesterday with four TDs and 463 yards. Weedon was pitching for the Yankees back in 2002 and the Dodgers in 2003, and was still in professional baseball in 2005. It's just plain weird that he's still considered an amateur athlete.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #200 of 564
Weedon is older than Aaron Rodgers.  That's just WRONG.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #201 of 564
Quote:
Weedon is older than Aaron Rodgers.  That's just WRONG.

The heck?  Is it allowed for professional athletes who don't initially go to college, start college and be eligible as an NCAA athlete?  I thought any sort of professional player background disqualified the person from playing in the NCAA.  I could have sworn I read something about that re international students who played professionally overseas, but maybe I'm misremembering.

We had a football player awhile ago that was 4 years older than the norm, but he was a Iraq War veteran who enlisted in the USMC before coming to college.  He definitely wasn't from a pro background.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #203 of 564
Hmm, guess I never noticed.  It doesn't seem to happen too often in the Pac-12, and high performing multi-sport athletes like Jake Locker aren't that common in the conference.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #205 of 564
Another example:  Joe Bauserman, who started at QB for Ohio State during the first 3 games this year, will be 26 next week.  He played in the Pirate's minor league organization for a few years.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #207 of 564
After a little research, I found that even the Olympics has pretty much abandoned the "ideology of the pure amateur":

"Beginning in the 1970s, amateurism requirements were gradually phased out of the Olympic Charter. After the 1988 Games, the IOC decided to make all professional athletes eligible for the Olympics..."

Silly me, I thought they had just made exceptions for tennis and basketball. The actual exceptions are that there are still quasi-amateur requirements for boxing, wrestling, and soccer. At least Thorpe's 1912 medals were restored.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #208 of 564

Quote:
We will take them thank you very much.

I'm just bitter. "You're an idiot," people say,"if you really want OU to play in the SEC. They'd never win championships!" Blimey, I say. I graduated from OU, but I don't give a lick about aligning OU's law school with Stanford's. I don't care how much money OU makes. I don't care about all that political mumbo jumbo. I am a fan! I want matchups! Bring Saban! Lester! 

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #209 of 564
Welcome to the B1G Nebraska! I along  with many others wonder just how good they can consistently be in their new digs. No, it's not because the league is tougher. It's something much more basic. I'm talking about the Jimmy and the Joes. Long time Big 8, Big 12+/-x fans can tell you the Huskers slide from glory began with the Big 12's elimination of the partial qualifier. Those great Osborne teams were full of studs with iffy grades, from everywhere from Jersey to Cali. Tommy Frazier anyone? Now the Huskers are in the AAU league. The corn state is good for 5-7 top tier FBS guys a year, but where do they go after that? Texas has been their second leading source. Good luck now convincing blu-chip Texans to head North for cold rust belt ball. So of course it's off to battle in the traditional Big Ten talent beds (which have been shrinking due to population exodus for around ten years btw) of Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I hear there are some well heeled programs already set up around those parts. What some early proof? Nebraska right now claims 7 commitments compared to 23, 17, and 13 for Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State respectively. 

NU football is the biggest show in the state, and their fan base is appropriately passionate. So with the right coach and the right recruiters, they can still win big. Oh but it is going to be even harder to sustain now. 

Pick time - the I have nothing clever to say edition.

Big Red over Big Red - uh that's Flying W hats over the Block N hats.
Tide washes out Gators
Hawgs trample Aggets
Hokies gobble Tigers
Whorns thrust Cyclones - can't believe how many have ISU in this game. I hope their right.

Book it. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #210 of 564
Tip o' the cap to Viro for correctly picking my Devils over the Trojans. The game looked like a role reversal from the previous 11 years of losses. ASU is a pretty darn good team when they have their heads screwed on straight. They finally get a little bit of a reprieve with OSU coming to town this weekend, although OSU seems to always give ASU fits, even if they suck. Hopefully that's not the case and they jump on them early and don't let the Beavs get any hope. Also, rumors are swirling that Omar Boldin may return this season from his ACL tear, that would be HUGE. I just hope he makes sure he's 100% ready before getting back on the field, I would hate to see him jeopardize his pro career for a little extra college glory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back