2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics: Opening Ceremony
Feb 13, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 31
There's more than one city in Canada.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 31
Yeah. I found it a bit lackluster, especially after China's opening ceremony. Especially the "native Canadian tribes" thing. But the singer was pretty good.

Haha, I'm feeling some national pride right now. I was born in Canada (Vancouver, actually. ♥), but I live in the land to the south of Canada.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 31
I'm from that place (China), and I believe that you're not. After understanding the Chinese communist culture, its history and traditions, it is not difficult to indentify propaganda embedded within the Chinese ceremony.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 31
We were just told, that unlike other Olympics, the athletes are entering first and then the show will begin in earnest. It lets the athletes see the show too. I guess before, like in Beijing, the athletes were outside of the stadium. Still, with that said, corny so far...

I mean really, what role do the native Indian tribes of Canada participate in the dialog of Canada's day-to-day conversation? I wouldn't know, but I bet like most native peoples in developed countries, they are marginalized citizens.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm from that place (China), and I believe that you're not. After understanding the Chinese communist culture, its history and traditions, it is not difficult to indentify propaganda embedded within the Chinese ceremony.

Wait. Was this in response to what I said? I didn't mention anything about politics or a political agenda. All I said was that compared to the Beijing Olympics, the opening ceremonies are a bit of a letdown.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 31
Toronto??

I agree, so far there hasn't been anything amazing so far.. I grew up in Vancouver so I'm interested to see what they do but nothing has stood out in ceremonies so far. I hope more things happen soon. But I do like that fact that athletes get to watch the show instead of just walking in and out..

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 31
@davidhunternyc: Unless you have your flame retardant suit on you may wish to consider updating the title to read "2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics: Opening Ceremony".
wink.gif

The opening ceremony for the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing will be difficult to match let alone exceed. I agree with most of the comments that the beginning did lack excitement.

EDIT: NBC reported Beijing had an estimated budget of 300-400 million US dollars compared to 30-40 million for Vancouver let alone the vast difference in the cost of labor. Comparing the two is moot.

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 31
How embarrassing. They get all the way through it without a major hitch, then at the climax .... the actual lighting of the cauldron .... they suffer technical difficulties.

Quote:

K.D. Lang just raised the spirit of Jeff Buckley from the dead

You do realize that that was a Leonard Cohen song don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back