2010 ChiUniFi Meet Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #31 of 46

Quote:
so which amps drove the HE6 well as that seems like an issue.

Rays new SR-71b drove them well. He had them connected through balanced XLR connectors and the sound was excellent. My Headroom Portable Desktop Amp drove them OK through SE connectors. I really thought the HE-6 and LCD-2 are very close in sound signature if the amp provides enough oomph. That being said the HE-6 need way more power than  the LCD-2 to sound good. If I were to buy the HE-6 I would make sure I had the pig tails to connect to speaker terminals on a good amp. I haven't heard this combo yet but I think it would be interesting,

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:
very good info. thanks for the replies. would be nice if Hifiman provided option of 4-pin or two 3-pin XLRs, but oh well.

personally i'd like to see it with the 4 pin + adapters for use with the following configurations: 2 x 3 pin xlr, 1/4" rca jack, protector/sr71b (which hopefully other manufacturers adopt.....).

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:
very good info. thanks for the replies. would be nice if Hifiman provided option of 4-pin or two 3-pin XLRs, but oh well.

personally i'd like to see it with the 4 pin + adapters for use with the following configurations: 2 x 3 pin xlr, 1/4" rca jack, protector/sr71b (which hopefully other manufacturers adopt.....).

I think that is actually what Moon Audio sells with his cable. I can't remember for sure but I thought Ray had some of the other adapters Drew had built to allow versitale use of the main cable and almost any amp setup up imaginable.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #35 of 46
Had spaced on adding my impressions on this thread until now, but thought I'd post my impressions of the HE-6 and amps. The most impressive combo for the HE-6 that I listened to was with the EF-5. But WOW was I surprised that Ray Samuels portable prototype could drive them. Bravo Ray! I had brought my Little Dot VI which I use with my HE-5LEs. Set on the low gain setting, this amp was surprisingly not a good fit with the HE-6. the volume level was not the issue, since listening levels were areound 2-3 o'clock. But what was lacking was impact and drive compared to the HE-5LEs.  My HE-5LEs delivered the kick pedal of a bass drum with more authority and force. 

BUT, and this is quite important, it is very likely that it would have been more appropriate to audition the HE-6s on the high gain setting of the VI. Maxvla reports that the VI is a good match for the HE-6 on the high gain setting. I'd frankly spaced on the fact that the amp allows the gain setting to be changed, since the amp needs to be opened up to do this...

A wonderful first meet-up with a lot of fabulous people and gear. Look forward to many more. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #36 of 46
Does anyone else have pics?? It sounds like a great meet and I'd love to see them.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
Had spaced on adding my impressions on this thread until now, but thought I'd post my impressions of the HE-6 and amps. The most impressive combo for the HE-6 that I listened to was with the EF-5. But WOW was I surprised that Ray Samuels portable prototype could drive them. Bravo Ray! I had brought my Little Dot VI which I use with my HE-5LEs. Set on the low gain setting, this amp was surprisingly not a good fit with the HE-6. the volume level was not the issue, since listening levels were areound 2-3 o'clock. But what was lacking was impact and drive compared to the HE-5LEs.  My HE-5LEs delivered the kick pedal of a bass drum with more authority and force.

could you, and anyone else who listened to it, please comment more about the HE6 and the SR71b pairing. how well did it do ? who did it sound compared to any other amp?

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 46
I thought that the sr71b drove the he6 very well, which is amazing given the size of the amp.  It will be interesting to see what it looks like cased up.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #42 of 46

I not much of a serious IEM listener and I was going to sell the RE0's I won. Couldn't resist the temptation and opened them up and took a listen. 

I'm really impressed! This is one of the most nicest sounding and most detailed IEM's I've ever heard! 

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 46
Have to say, for my first meet, ChiUniFi 4 has set an amazingly high bar!  As a relative newcomer to the world of Head-Fi this meet was an amazing way to start.  Big thanks to Billy and Steve for the tremendous job they did putting the meet together,  The location was great and the quality and quantity of raffle prizes was flat out astonishing!  Was extremely lucky to win a pair of Westone 3s in the raffle and the quality of their sound already has me re-appraising all my other gear and re-ripping my music -- guess I just hit the slippery slope of this hobby!

That said, the huge variety of gear present at ChiUniFi 4 really gave me a chance to see and hear what's possible and I was completely impressed with the knowledge and friendliness of the other attendees; especially Darryl and Ray S.  Gear testing and listening fun aside, the conversations in-between were great and it was a pleasant surprise to talk music with so many knowledgeable folks.  Already looking forward to ChiUniFi 5!

Impressions: Ray Samuels's protoype amp driving the HE-6s was jawdropping to me.  Although I listened to other cans that were as detailed (LE-2s, the Stax...stack, and the Blue Hawaii rig were also amazing) and others with superb imaging and sound staging (HD800s), the HE-6s combined those qualities best and also offered a warmer, more naturalistic sound, IMO.

Another set that caught my ear was Stringgz301 Grado HF-2/Buffalo II/EHHA combination.  The music was very neutral and open, with excellent articulation and more bass than I would have thought.  Listened to a variety of music via his laptop source and was very impressed.

Have to also extend thanks to Head-Fi for their support and for really encouraging the sense of community here.  Have taken part in many different forums over the years and Head-Fi consistently stands out for the quality of the information and the folks that share what they know so freely.

Thanks again to everyone.  Here are some snaps from the event...

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #44 of 46
Thanks for the pictures.

I am glad you are enjoying the Westone 3 as those I had to go out to RMAF to get those for the raffle.  Actually I was already there and ran into Westone's Director of Music Products and talked with him about a donation for the raffle.  Westone had their CES booth at the show and it was just great.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #45 of 46
Looks like you guys had a ton of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back