$200ish USB 2.1 DAC with RCA outs?
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

haveblue

100+ Head-Fier
Currently my setup on my laptop is:

Philips PSC805 Aurilium
2 M-Audio BX5a monitors
Polk PSW202 subwoofer

I've been using the Aurilium for a while and don't even have the integrated sound driver installed. I've been wanting a better external sound card and want to spend around $200. Preferably it needs RCA outs and a separate center/woofer channel. It doesn't need to be powered since the monitors and woofer are amped.

These DACs that I see, do they require the installation of the integrated sound driver, or do they run just on USB? It seems that many of them are plug and play.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 4
they use USB Streaming Audio, you won't ever touch the onboard, as its a different audio device being used for the USB solution, it is not a "USB DAC", its a USB -> S/PDIF device with an onboard serial audio D/A, and it is not "2.1 stereo" (as 2.1 stereo is about as ridiculous as USB DAC)

you'll need some sort of way to pass the full range betwixt the M-Audio and Polk sub, does the Polk offer line level stereo inputs and filtered outputs?

why not purchase a full fledged USB audio processor, which will give you more complete input/output abilities, a driver package to work with, and some other features? your budget supports it

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 4
FUBAR II is a decent USB to S/PDIF to analog converter, very simple, and should do exactly what you're looking at doing

just ensure you have a way to connect the M-Audio sats to the Polk sub, as the FUBAR doesn't allow anything other than stereo output (even if you're just running splitters, you just need a way to get the signal to both, and the sub should have a highpass filter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back