200g vinyl pressings
Mar 17, 2008 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted on here, as i've been busy... Quick question, what's everyone's oppinions on Classic records' Quiex SVP series 200g vinyl?
Is it true that they are mastered from the original tapes, or is this just some bs? Has anyone heard them (I'm considereing getting LED ZEPPELIN I on this type of vinyl.)

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

It's been a while since i posted on here, as i've been busy... Quick question, what's everyone's oppinions on Classic records' Quiex SVP series 200g vinyl?
Is it true that they are mastered from the original tapes, or is this just some bs? Has anyone heard them (I'm considereing getting LED ZEPPELIN I on this type of vinyl.)

Thanks!

The Classic Records reissues sound very nice and they are indeed remastered from the Original Master Tapes. If your looking for Zeppelin on vinyl, they are probably the easiest to get with great sound. I have heard all of the albums on Classic Records Quiex and they sound very good.

Here is a sample of Led Zeppelin II on the Classic Records Re-issue.

FWIW, the original CD releases mastered by Barry Diament also sound VERY good. A great deal better than the remasters. A great alternative to the Classic Records Vinyl IMHO.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I bought the the who - Quadrophenia and it is 1st class. Even down to using the same type of paper for the book. The sound quality is fantastic.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 16
I got the Quiex 200gm pressing of led zeppelin 1 last summer and it sounds great, especially when compared to the original.
Funny but i did a comparison between it and the remastered cd just a couple of days ago and it made the cd version sound flat and uninspiring.
Older recordings seem to (almost) always sound better on vinyl than cd though so it does'nt surprise me.
However, recent recordings seem to favour cd.
Shame the quiex -zeppelin series are no longer in production, i have just managed to find a copy of led zepplin 2 though, it's being shipped from the states at great expense.

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 16
thanks for the insight guys! I'm hoping to pay <50$ for led zepp I; do you think thats a fair price?

Mar 17, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Sounds like a deal, zepp 2 is costing me around sixty pounds sterling to buy and have shipped to Scotland. (Around 120 dollars) seems about 100 too much but im a long standing fan and 2 is my favorite album so i went for it.
I hope to get zepp3 for about thirty dollars, though that dont include fedup's fees.

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 16
I have the 200g Classic of I Robot. This one is almost sold out, jump on it if you are a fan of the album, because it sounds fantastic. I also have the original MFSL vinyl and the Classic might sound better (haven't done a proper A/B, but I listen to the Classic more often, which is telling).

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, I was warned, and went and bought the Classic 200gm pressing of Sarah McLachlan's 'Freedom Sessions' anyway. I'm happy to report that it sounds very good, with minimal crackling beasties. The LP has a greater sense of spaciousness than the rather 'up-front' CD version which sounds pretty good itself BTW. I can only imagine how these LPs sound on your respective systems, considering that I'm using a bottom-of-the-barrel Pro-ject Debut III, stock cartridge, and the NAD PP2, and it still sounds great!

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if 200g vinyl benefits say an average turntable set up. I'm currently running a Technics Slq300 and I really don't know anything about viny. I tried looking up 200g vinyl but I kept on getting redirected to sites selling 200g vinyl. From what I've read on head-fi they're reissues from master recordings *if that makes any sense. And well I know a lot of audiophiles listen to them but I'm curious if the average joe shmo can benefit from them. At the moment I have my eyes set on a few norah jones and diana krall records and theyre about 15 each and the 200g versions are nearly 40 dollars so I'd like to know if I'm going get my money's worth and if I'd even notice it.

Thanks,
Paul

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 16
I think the 200 gram versions are much more of an audiophile product, and at that, their track record is hit and miss as described in other threads. My recommendation would be to get the standard versions and put the extra money into expanding your collection.

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Some of the early original Zeppelin vinyl releases are unbeatable. There was a guy named George Peckham who was a cutting engineer that worked with a lot of music that came out of Southern Studios in London. You will find great pressings from the 70s and 80s that have "porky prime cut," "Pecko duck" and variations in the run off grooves. These are fantastic pressings. I've never compared them to new audiophile pressings, but they were heads and shoulders about contemporary pressings of the same music. I've seen/heard/owned the first 3 Zeppelin records cut by Mr. Peckham. Not sure if he did any others, but there's lots of other music that he worked on that kicks hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back