2009 CanJam@RMAF Gear Registration (Friends, Countrymen, lend us your gear!)
Sep 16, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #16 of 41
we'll be in the Rocky Mountain Event Center in the Marriot hotel

still deciding on the amp for my sonic studio 302 dac and mac mini set up, I'll have just my HF2s and JH13s there.

I'll be able to post up a floor plan in a few days after the final layout is completed. C'mon folks we can do better than 8 rigs I know we have more than that in Colorado. Thanks to Tyler and Larry for spearheading the member area and rigs.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stacker 2 not going to make an appearance JP?

would love to but fear shipping a custom amp with no manufacture shipping box. If I can get an appropriate shipping carton I would consider shipping it

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #19 of 41
I was just scanning through all of my RMAF-related e-mails to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and caught this from a July message (and it appears to still be active):

If you type in "Head-Fi" as a code when registering at the RMAF website (Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009), you get two admissions for the price of one. So if you enter quantity 2, and enter the code Head-Fi, you'll see a discount that will cut the price in half (again, for a 2-for-1 deal). This will not halve the price if you enter only 1--if I understand correctly, you must enter 2. And I believe the maximum discount, no matter how many you order over 2, will be $25.00 (which is the price of a 3-day non-student admission).

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 41
I'm bringing the same rig I brought to Can Jam LAX--I may add some additional things to my table (but can't say for sure yet on the additions):

1. I'll bring one of my main desktop rigs, which includes the Apple MacBook Pro 17" (late 2008 model) as source-->optical-->Lavry DA11-->Cardas Clear-->Ray Samuels Audio Raptor (with the best tube set I've got for it)-->Sennheiser HD800 (with both Moon Audio and Cardas HD800 cables).
    1. As at Can Jam LAX, power cables will likely be by Cardas and TARA Labs.
  2. For power, I'm not going to ship or bring my big honkin' dual balanced power transformers, but, as I did at Can Jam LAX, may borrow something like a PS Audio Power Plant Premier (out of which my rig never sounded better)--depending on availability, I may try something else.
  3. On the portable side of things, I will bring my HiFiMAN HM801 (one of the PCM1704UK versions), and a few other portable pieces by Ray Samuels Audio, ALO Audio, and maybe iQube. I'll also likely bring an iPod / Wadia iTransport combo.
  4. I will likely have a disc spinner of some high caliber sort at my table (on loan).
  5. For music:
    1. In addition to whatever's on my MacBook, I'll also be bringing some great Mobile Fidelity discs (courtesy of Head-Fi Premier Sponsor Music Direct).
    2. I will also bring (courtesy of Reference Recordings) some assorted Reference Recordings HRX (176.4/24) hi-rez pieces, and some Reference Recordings discs.
    3. I'll also have several IsoMike recordings (from Ray Kimber), some of which I've found interesting to play with Lavry's PIC feature.
I may be adding some other interesting things to my list soon, but what's above is the for-sure stuff.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just scanning through all of my RMAF-related e-mails to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and caught this from a July message (and it appears to still be active):

If you type in "Head-Fi" as a code when registering at the RMAF website (Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009), you get two admissions for the price of one. So if you enter quantity 2, and enter the code Head-Fi, you'll see a discount that will cut the price in half (again, for a 2-for-1 deal). This will not halve the price if you enter only 1--if I understand correctly, you must enter 2. And I believe the maximum discount, no matter how many you order over 2, will be $25.00 (which is the price of a 3-day non-student admission).

Too late for me - I bought 2 tickets on 8/19/09 at full price.
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, do you have a small video monitor for an Apple TV (S-video, composite or HDMI) to use that as my optical digital transport instead of the CD player?
tongue.gif

I have a cheap 6" LCD screen (composite) that is difficult to read because of poor resolution. I don't even know if the Apple TV would be a good low-jitter transport for my PS Audio DLIII, anyone?

I don't happen to have a small monitor, alas, but you might not need one. I spoke to Jim Spainhour at signal path about the Apple TV awhile back, and he said that it, along with the Airport Express, is one of the highest jitter sources on the market today. It's so high that the ESS sabre DACs can't even lock on to the signal. I don't own either, so i can't speak to that, but I do know that all signal path electronics (like my Peachtree) have two "high-jitter" compliant inputs due to customer complaints about their apple products being incompatible. The 24/96 optical out of my iMac is too jittery to sync properly as well.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't happen to have a small monitor, alas, but you might not need one. I spoke to Jim Spainhour at signal path about the Apple TV awhile back, and he said that it, along with the Airport Express, is one of the highest jitter sources on the market today. It's so high that the ESS sabre DACs can't even lock on to the signal. I don't own either, so i can't speak to that, but I do know that all signal path electronics (like my Peachtree) have two "high-jitter" compliant inputs due to customer complaints about their apple products being incompatible. The 24/96 optical out of my iMac is too jittery to sync properly as well.

My Macbook Pro does a good job with 24/96 native files via optical out to my Apogee and PS Audio DLIII, but I have never used the optical out of the Apple TV for music yet. The Airport express 802.11n seems to do fine with 16/44 lossless rips, but struggles with 24/96 - I was thinking I should try it at 5Ghz "n-only" and see if that helps.

If I don't use the Apple TV and don't want to deal with CD's, I figure I could set up a macbook with a bare bones user account, and external drive with iTunes music on it, and not sign into the iTunes store. At the CO meet the PS Audio DLIII DAC sounded great via USB on the Macbook with 16/44 Apple Lossless rips.

I still think the Apple TV would be perfect in terms of user interface. I may still bring the CD5001, and people can switch between CD on coax and ATV (or Mac) via optical.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #25 of 41
Two weeks to go folks, the gear at this event is mind numbing as well as some of the seminars.

Mikey Fremer doing a turn table set up talk and Steve Hoffman doing his talk are two that are on my do not miss list!

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #26 of 41
Ultimate Electronics has a $178 19" HDTV that I might have to pick up for the Apple TV to use at CanJam @ RMAF (but have CD player as backup in case the transport isn't good enough). Has anyone else used an Apple TV optical-out to a nice DAC and found it to sound really good, or was jitter actually a problem (harsh or edgy highs is what I was told to expect)? I can't easily test it because I can't easily get my headphone rigs/ATV and big screen TV's together at the same time.

Then after CanJam I could stick the TV on the wall in the basement for cable TV, and move my big headphone rigs down there without feeling cut off from the rest of the world. That would make my wife happy to get most of my cluttered gear out of the bedroom and living room, so she already approved the TV.

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would you believe that I typed in "Head-Fi.org" when I ordered my two tickets in August! Just my luck...
redface.gif

At least it is for a good cause...

Anyway, I can't wait for the event... unfortunately, I will only be attending on Saturday (on a mission to find my Pops some new speakers), but I'll definitely be by to say my hellos and to check-out all the gear I didn't have time to at the last meet... I'd bring some gear, but I'm still in the early stages and don't have much, plus I can't really stay long...

Hope to see you all there... until then, happy listening!
happy_face1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 41
I will be arriving a day earlier than I expected, but not until around 5PM Friday because I have to pick up my kids from school at 3PM. QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone know if I'll be able to set up my gear after 5PM Friday if I do it quickly when I arrive? (or at least load stuff into the room and partially unpack)

2. Will the CanJam gear room be locked up overnight and at what time each day will it be opened and closed?

3. The other problem is I only bought tickets for 2 days which I was to use for Sat/Sun. I figure Friday is over at 5PM, so will that stop me from accessing the CanJam room late Friday to set up if I don't want to use up my 2 days for Fri/Sat?

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #29 of 41
ANSWERS!

1) Show's officially open until 6 Friday night, and I'll be there to help you load in and set up.

2) Word's out on this, so far as I know. My gear will be there as well, however, and I want that noise locked up. Shouldn't be a problem, being a conference room. John?

3) No problem there -- they barely check tickets at all in the morning, let alone by 5. I was admitted one year without a pass of any sort, since I lost it. In any case, you'll be fine.

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #30 of 41
Update:

ASR will be bringing the following gear, to entice you all further:

System #1: Cary 306 SACD Pro > (XLR ICs) > HeadAmp BHSE > Stax OII MKI, SR-404 LE, and SR-X MKIII

System #2: laptop PC & Pico USB DAC > Gilmore Lite (or AE-2, if GL doesn't get here on time) > AKG K702 and Audio-Technica ES7

He's considering bring a third awesome dynamic rig, if that's what you all want. I hear talk of a WA22, perhaps? Who is to say. All I know is, if you want it you gotta ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back