2009 CanJam@RMAF Gear Registration (Friends, Countrymen, lend us your gear!)
Sep 26, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 41
Hi:

I'm game for bringing my humble rig. However, at this point I don't know what day(s) I will be attending. I will come at least one day for sure. Is that cool?

My rig is the headroom balanced desktop /w home dac, music hall 25.2 and/or PC, HD650s, and a PS Audio DLIII with Cullen IV mods.

And I have a stupid noob question about the logistics of the event. When my rig is in the head-fi room, am I free to go check out the rest of the show since I assume there will at least one trustworthy head-fiers wathcing the gear?

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #32 of 41
Humble? Your rig sounds excellent, and you bring excellent music with it. You're more than welcome.

It'd be helpful to me if you could pin down which day you plann on attending, since I'll be able to more easily reserve the table space for you.

Also, yes, your gear is safe with us. Someone will be there at all times to keep a lookout.

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenman9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi:

I'm game for bringing my humble rig. However, at this point I don't know what day(s) I will be attending. I will come at least one day for sure. Is that cool?

My rig is the headroom balanced desktop /w home dac, music hall 25.2 and/or PC, HD650s, and a PS Audio DLIII with Cullen IV mods.

And I have a stupid noob question about the logistics of the event. When my rig is in the head-fi room, am I free to go check out the rest of the show since I assume there will at least one trustworthy head-fiers wathcing the gear?

We should work out a trade - your Cullen modded PS Audio for my stock PS Audio and my APS V3 cabled RS-1, or something...
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #34 of 41
Apogee Mini DAC
Lavry DA 11 (just got it today anyone know how much burn in if any it needs?)
(2) Millet Hybrid Tube amps (One is in for service and should be back in time)
Ultrasone Edition 9 V3 cable upgrade
iMod 5.5 gig
iPod touch 64 gig w/ wildcharger and adapter skin (Awesome to use as a remote)

BUT...I am missing some KEY gear.... I don't actually listen to headphones much at home- and headphones typically only during snowboard season since Aspen does not involve any commuting and the longest drive here is 8 minutes.

I also sent in a cosmetic defect ALO iPod 22 gauge cyro and an ALO iMod Jumbo Copper Cyro (To swap for a silver iMod Jumbo cyro). So I HAVE NO LOD's at the moment either!

I sold my 6th gen IPod classic 160 gig and bought a iPod Touch 64 gig (Which so far (20 hrs burn in) sounds like absolute crap- harsh, bass shy, distant...simply awful- one of the worst sounding iPods
frown.gif
At least the 6th gen iPod was decent with the ALO 22 gauge.) Looks like I just bought a fancy looking remote...which I suppose I'll use with the Lavry DA-11

I do not own any balanced headphones to use with either the Apogee mini DAC or the Lavry DA-11

I am tempted to bring some home systems... but I can imagine that it being a show (Likely Union) that you will not be able to carry in your own speakers that are large.

I have some fantastic- mind blowing studio monitors...and frankly most of the time I HATE studio monitors...but these are amazing...and even have excellent built in DAC's which held up well to comparisons with the Apogee Mini DAC (nearly a draw - give or take S/N in the built in DAC and its frequency response curve vs musicality of the Apogee) and they sound amazingly musical with the Lavry Da11....even close mic'd violins are completely convincing. I'm even buying another set tomorrow....because I'm doing the sound for

World Snow Polo, Aspen, CO

The World Snow Polo championships at Aspen Snow Polo this year- and they will be perfect in the VIP tent....where EAN GOLDEN will likely be the guest DJ.

YouTube - VESTAX VCI-100 featuring Ean Golden - 2/2

Here in Aspen I have a perfectly dialed in set up with ProAc Response 1SC'S Target Mr's 24 in with 100lbs of lead shot each, Audio Research VT Mark 2. 100 wpc

I just bought a perfect set of Magneplanar Tympani IV's (The ONLY version with the ribbon tweeter- their best iteration- frankly -(properly set up) they totally hold their own.. to nearly any high end speaker costing upwards of $10,000) just had them resocked at the factory (I can actually redo them in any color) and am debating having them shipped direct from Magnepan in Minnesota to Aspen or perhaps selling them and shipping them direct (with warranty) ...even though they are IDEAL for a traveling high end system as they fold to nothing and can fit in the smallest to the largest of listening rooms.

I just sold my Magneplanar Tympani 1D's which I used as a traveling high end system for the past year...they even fit inside a Mercedes E-class! (Front seat down and folded) so for those of you complaining about "err.."portable rigs" not being portable" this is my portable system....lol.

So the show has so many speakers that I really don't need to bring a reference speaker system... but for future Head-fi meets I have thought I could bring them. At the moment I have 10 bedrooms in Aspen in 4 homes so I could really host a nice mini meet here.

This Tues. I am looking at a brand new $10 million home in Buttermilk Aspen that I will be putting a system in. Should be exiting as I'll likely put some $46,500 Griffin G1 studio monitors with ribbon tweeters in an in wall installation in there.. yep... they are powered (and I am not a fan of ICE power even though I used to work for Bang and Olufsen) ... and I'll design a mini railway system to dial them in.

This is serious "in wall"... no Sonance crap...lol.

for Amps I prefer class A or A/B for my installs..tubes if needed but ICE is my last choice....given the legendary SQ of these...I'll suck it up...lol.. hey..... it's not my home...I'm just paid for my ears and tuning ability.

http://www.griffinaudiousa.com/pdf/G...0In%20Wall.pdf

So regrettably I'm not even able to put together a single "portable" headphone system other than just running my Ulrasones direct out of the Lavry Da-11 or the Mini Dac... lol..

Though.. if Larry is there... likely we can kludge something listenable together....he always seems to have some extra gear.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Mini DAC
Lavry DA 11 (just got it today anyone know how much burn in if any it needs?)
(2) Millet Hybrid Tube amps (One is in for service and should be back in time)
Ultrasone Edition 9 V3 cable upgrade
iMod 5.5 gig
iPod touch 64 gig w/ wildcharger and adapter skin (Awesome to use as a remote)

BUT...I am missing some KEY gear.... I don't actually listen to headphones much at home- and headphones typically only during snowboard season since Aspen does not involve any commuting and the longest drive here is 8 minutes.

I also sent in a cosmetic defect ALO iPod 22 gauge cyro and an ALO iMod Jumbo Copper Cyro (To swap for a silver iMod Jumbo cyro). So I HAVE NO LOD's at the moment either!

I sold my 6th gen IPod classic 160 gig and bought a iPod Touch 64 gig (Which so far (20 hrs burn in) sounds like absolute crap- harsh, bass shy, distant...simply awful- one of the worst sounding iPods
frown.gif
At least the 6th gen iPod was decent with the ALO 22 gauge.) Looks like I just bought a fancy looking remote...which I suppose I'll use with the Lavry DA-11

I do not own any balanced headphones to use with either the Apogee mini DAC or the Lavry DA-11

I am tempted to bring some home systems... but I can imagine that it being a show (Likely Union) that you will not be able to carry in your own speakers that are large.

I have some fantastic- mind blowing studio monitors...and frankly most of the time I HATE studio monitors...but these are amazing...and even have excellent built in DAC's which held up well to comparisons with the Apogee Mini DAC (nearly a draw - give or take S/N in the built in DAC and its frequency response curve vs musicality of the Apogee) and they sound amazingly musical with the Lavry Da11....even close mic'd violins are completely convincing. I'm even buying another set tomorrow....because I'm doing the sound for

World Snow Polo, Aspen, CO

The World Snow Polo championships at Aspen Snow Polo this year- and they will be perfect in the VIP tent....where EAN GOLDEN will likely be the guest DJ.

YouTube - VESTAX VCI-100 featuring Ean Golden - 2/2

Here in Aspen I have a perfectly dialed in set up with ProAc Response 1SC'S Target Mr's 24 in with 100lbs of lead shot each, Audio Research VT Mark 2. 100 wpc

I just bought a perfect set of Magneplanar Tympani IV's (The ONLY version with the ribbon tweeter- their best iteration- frankly -(properly set up) they totally hold their own.. to nearly any high end speaker costing upwards of $10,000) just had them resocked at the factory (I can actually redo them in any color) and am debating having them shipped direct from Magnepan in Minnesota to Aspen or perhaps selling them and shipping them direct (with warranty) ...even though they are IDEAL for a traveling high end system as they fold to nothing and can fit in the smallest to the largest of listening rooms.

I just sold my Magneplanar Tympani 1D's which I used as a traveling high end system for the past year...they even fit inside a Mercedes E-class! (Front seat down and folded) so for those of you complaining about "err.."portable rigs" not being portable" this is my portable system....lol.

So the show has so many speakers that I really don't need to bring a reference speaker system... but for future Head-fi meets I have thought I could bring them. At the moment I have 10 bedrooms in Aspen in 4 homes so I could really host a nice mini meet here.

This Tues. I am looking at a brand new $10 million home in Buttermilk Aspen that I will be putting a system in. Should be exiting as I'll likely put some $46,500 Griffin G1 studio monitors with ribbon tweeters in an in wall installation in there.. yep... they are powered (and I am not a fan of ICE power even though I used to work for Bang and Olufsen) ... and I'll design a mini railway system to dial them in.

This is serious "in wall"... no Sonance crap...lol.

for Amps I prefer class A or A/B for my installs..tubes if needed but ICE is my last choice....given the legendary SQ of these...I'll suck it up...lol.. hey..... it's not my home...I'm just paid for my ears and tuning ability.

http://www.griffinaudiousa.com/pdf/G...0In%20Wall.pdf

So regrettably I'm not even able to put together a single "portable" headphone system other than just running my Ulrasones direct out of the Lavry Da-11 or the Mini Dac... lol..

Though.. if Larry is there... likely we can kludge something listenable together....he always seems to have some extra gear.

I have to run before finishing your post - but I can say that I have an iMod LOD that I can loan you. I'll read the rest of this later.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 41
I will be at RMAF on Friday and Saturday, but I will be there primarily to check out speakers. I can bring one or more of my AT woodies (W5000, W11jpn, ESW10jpn), but I won't be able to supervise them. If there is anyone who would be willing to look after them at the show, please let me know, and I can bring them.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #40 of 41
I'm coming on down... but at this point I am not sure if I am keeping my Lavry DA 11...and seeing that they will be at the show anyhow... I think I'll leave that unit at home...

I didn't get the Black Millet back yet or any LODs.

4 hours later....

update... well another listen to My Lavry DA 11 has me now thoroughly convinced that it is better than the Apogee Mini DAC. Also the Lavry optical input makes it seem thin in the lower midbass compared to the USB input.

So Sadly..
1 Millet Hybrid portable
1 pair Ultrasone Edition 9 with APS V3 cable upgrade... (which frankly only sounds right with the Millet and LOD.
1 Imod 5.5
1 Apogee Mini DAC
Maybe.. the Lavry DA 11... hmmm it's about 3 small steps closer to analog... a relief that it is not Hi-Fi sounding.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #41 of 41
Sherwood et al,

I indicated in my post above that I'd be bringing Yamaha YH-3's and a CTH on Saturday. Well... My CTH is already there, in care of WiatroB. (My power transformer went bad and he wanted to check out the amp to make sure it was OK.)

My YH-3's have been taken apart and turned into Franken-orthos. I put the YH-3 drivers into HD485 frames, and damped them with felt and bluetak. (There's a picture in the Ortho Thread if you're curious.) They've been showing good synergy with my Q5 studio amp with an Icon Mobile out of my new Netbook. So I can bring that rig along. I need to buy an SD Card and load some music on it, but I'll get that taken care of tonight.

I can also bring my Grado SR225i's. On the off chance Bill doesn't have something way better hooked to my CTH, I can make another rig out of that. I know they aren't super high end, but I like them.

Summary of gear:
- YH-3 HD485 Franken-orthos
- Dell Mini 9 Netbook
- Icon Mobile as DAC
- Samson Q5 Headphone amp
- CTH headphone amp
- Grado SR225i's
- Creative Zen (if needed)
- Fiio E5 (if needed)

As I implied, nothing really high end. But pretty good synergy, and science experiments are fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost completely off-topic... There's a great hole-in-the-wall Indian restaurant called India's in Tamarac Square, a few minutes from RMAF. I'd feel weird going someplace that good by myself. Would anybody care to have Indian food tomorrow night?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back