2008 College Football Thread!
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #557 of 756
I still can say that the days of the traditional "northern powers" in college football are more or less over.

The reason is simple: thanks to the likes of ESPN showing a lot more college football games per week, you don't need to attend a traditional "northern power" college like Michigan, Notre Dame, or Nebraska (and to a lesser extent Ohio State and Penn State) to get national attention. Indeed, that's why you're seeing a lot of colleges in better climates become huge powers: USC, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, most of the SEC colleges, and colleges in the state of Florida. Indeed, the teams that have the best chance to win the BCS Championship Game in 2008 are all from better climates: Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and possibly even Texas or USC.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #559 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still can say that the days of the traditional "northern powers" in college football are more or less over.

The reason is simple: thanks to the likes of ESPN showing a lot more college football games per week, you don't need to attend a traditional "northern power" college like Michigan, Notre Dame, or Nebraska (and to a lesser extent Ohio State and Penn State) to get national attention. Indeed, that's why you're seeing a lot of colleges in better climates become huge powers: USC, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, most of the SEC colleges, and colleges in the state of Florida. Indeed, the teams that have the best chance to win the BCS Championship Game in 2008 are all from better climates: Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and possibly even Texas or USC.

I fail to understand this post, sorry. It's not like enrollment at any Big10 school is going down, nor is interest in Big10 football in the Midwest, I can assure you. And with Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio being 3 of the most populous states in the USA, I'd say interest in Big Ten football is going to stay very high. Just because Michigan has one bad season, don't jump to conclusions. Let us not forget Michigan beat Florida in the Outback Bowl JUST LAST YEAR, Heisman winner Tebow and all.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #560 of 756
Speaking of Midwest football, what an epic choke by Ball St. last night. Congrats to Turner Gill and the Buffalo Bulls. It was a fun game to watch.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #561 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Midwest football, what an epic choke by Ball St. last night. Congrats to Turner Gill and the Buffalo Bulls. It was a fun game to watch.

And thank goodness for that. One less argument to use for people who think non-BCS schools who go 12-0 on joke schedules should get BCS bowls.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #562 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And thank goodness for that. One less argument to use for people who think non-BCS schools who go 12-0 on joke schedules should get BCS bowls.

Exactly. If conferences like the MAC want to be taken seriously, they have to stop pointing to wins over the very worst teams in the BCS as "quality wins". Ball State beating a bad very mediocre Indiana team does not mean they should be in a BCS bowl. If you have ideas that you could be in a BCS bowl and you are from a non-BCS conference, you're going to have to play a MUCH tougher schedule than Ball State.

This is what is a little troubling about Utah - their Marquis win is a 3-point victory over Oregon State, and they struggled with FCS Weber State. What Utah has going for it is the CONSISTENCY of their level of play, including the spanking of Pitt when they played in a BCS bowl a couple of years ago.

But how are they any more deserving than Boise State? They beat Oregon (who pasted OSU), and at least they destroyed their one FCS opponent
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, is it 11:00 yet? I plan on feasting on conference championship games today.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #563 of 756
Well, USC won as expected, Oklahoma won as expected, and Florida won as expected....overall a reasonably boring day results-wise, except for the overall warm and fuzzy feeling I get inside seeing Saban lose (While the pain may not be as fresh for MSU fans as for LSU fans, he screwed us over even more painfully, so we hold a grudge there too).

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #564 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, USC won as expected, Oklahoma won as expected, and Florida won as expected....overall a reasonably boring day results-wise, except for the overall warm and fuzzy feeling I get inside seeing Saban lose (While the pain may not be as fresh for MSU fans as for LSU fans, he screwed us over even more painfully, so we hold a grudge there too).

you still had some upsets that could have perked you up. cincy went down to hawaii, ball state fell to buffalo, and virginia tech took down bc. i think the entire nation outside of the state of alabama holds a grudge against saban. he is quite the polorizing figure. pitrino is on his way to that status as well.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #565 of 756
My personal top seven teams. I dont think any one else is relevant.
1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC
6. Texas Tech
7. Penn state

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #566 of 756
Oklahoma - FLA will make a very good NC game. I have no issue with this at all. Yes, Oklahoma lost to Texas. Yes, FLA lost to Ole Miss. But these 2 teams won the best 2 conferences this year, and having them play for the national title makes all the sense in the world.

I think the team that wins the PSU - USC Rose bowl should end up ranked 3rd (with the idea that the two teams in the NCG stay 1-2 even after it's over). The Rose Bowl game pits the winners of the 3rd and 4th best conferences this year.

And here's to hoping tOSU somehow manages to upset Texas in the Fiesta, so we won't have to listen to how Texas got shafted.

Part of me would also like to see Utah beat Alabama, but this would not be good for the BCS.

And here's to hoping NU ends up in the Outback bowl later today! I'd rather play South Carolina than Mizzou, although Mizzou seems to be fading for some reason.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #567 of 756
Burgla buddy, you were way right. This avatar doesn't hurt near as much as the parlay I lost because of the outcome! That tacked on TD killed me! Ahhhh gambling, it is the devil's plaything.

It took me all season, but I'm gong to hop on the bandwagon. Florida is a big bag of awesome. That was a great SEC CCG. The turning point for me, was in the middle of the 4th when Bama went for the playaction bomb on first down. Bama is a great team but does not operate well behind the chains. We shook our heads at that; the first sign of panic from the Tide. More often we shook our heads at how good the Florida team is.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #568 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burgla buddy, you were way right. This avatar doesn't hurt near as much as the parlay I lost because of the outcome! That tacked on TD killed me! Ahhhh gambling, it is the devil's plaything.

It took me all season, but I'm gong to hop on the bandwagon. Florida is a big bag of awesome. That was a great SEC CCG. The turning point for me, was in the middle of the 4th when Bama went for the playaction bomb on first down. Bama is a great team but does not operate well behind the chains. We shook our heads at that; the first sign of panic from the Tide. More often we shook our heads at how good the Florida team is.

You superstitious, sandbagging, weenie. Not a word about your Sooners. Good god, man, gloat a little. They're a wall of super-crazy awesome.

Edit: Ok, I see your location. If that's all you can do for now, I understand.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #569 of 756
Well, the BCS is the only poll today that really matters, but it's refreshing to see that the AP and USA Today polls both finally got it right (after 3 weeks no less) and put Penn State above Utah and Texas Tech.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #570 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal top seven teams. I dont think any one else is relevant.
1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC
6. Texas Tech
7. Penn state

Yep, throw one more wildcard in and play it off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back