2008 College Football Thread!
Sep 9, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #151 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in the moment. I work overseas, and really get into my Sooners, only to be crushed at BCS time, but I never lose faith. OSU is one hell of a good program, and while I love to hate USC after what they did to us, there is no denying the quality of their program. Actually, all major schools are pretty damn good these days.

OU!

i have never been much of an oklahoma fan but i have upmost repsepct for bob stoops. i now find it hard to ever root against ou after watching the game against oregon. you guys go robbed big time. your team was involved in one of my favorite games of the last ten years as well, though it was a loss on your part. that okahoma/boise state had everything you could ever ask for in a game. my favorite games since 2000 are that game, the 2002 title game of osu/miami, and the usc/texas title game.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #152 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OU!

It may look like a cake walk on paper in Seattle, but I think this a huge game for OU Saturday, when one considers the recent road woes. If OU puts forty on the board with an over twenty spread, I might allow myself to dream. They have to prove it first though. I'm pretty jaded.

Mel Kiper just drooled over the O. You might want to read it randerson.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #154 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may look like a cake walk on paper in Seattle, but I think this a huge game for OU Saturday, when one considers the recent road woes. If OU puts forty on the board with an over twenty spread, I might allow myself to dream. They have to prove it first though. I'm pretty jaded.

Mel Kiper just drooled over the O. You might want to read it randerson.

Thanks. Good article. You are right about the upcoming game, TCU is also good, and the Big 12 is becoming as tough as the SEC. There is just so much parity and talent in collegiate football. You have to be incredible to play anywhere.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #156 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fiutak picked the Buckeyes to win. I knew he would, judging by his comments in other columns.

good read. thanks for digging it up man. i wonder if we would get more respect on a national level in this game if beanie wells wasn't nursing the injury. lou holtz also seems to be ready to pick us to win.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #157 of 756
Surely not,

"MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia University football coach Bill Stewart has signed a six-year contract that will pay him $800,000 this year with an annual increase of $50,000.

Athletic Director Ed Pastilong announced Friday that Stewart's base salary is $150,000, and he will earn $550,000 in supplemental income for promotional purposes, including radio and television appearances with the Mountaineer Sports Network.

Also included in his salary is a $100,000 annual retention fee that he will receive on Sept. 1.

He can also earn an additional $400,000 per year in incentives with an extra $150,000 for a national championship.

Stewart was picked to succeed Rich Rodriguez on Jan. 3, after leading the Mountaineers to a 48-28 upset victory over No. 3 Oklahoma in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. "

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #158 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely not,

"MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia University football coach Bill Stewart has signed a six-year contract that will pay him $800,000 this year with an annual increase of $50,000.

Athletic Director Ed Pastilong announced Friday that Stewart's base salary is $150,000, and he will earn $550,000 in supplemental income for promotional purposes, including radio and television appearances with the Mountaineer Sports Network.

Also included in his salary is a $100,000 annual retention fee that he will receive on Sept. 1.

He can also earn an additional $400,000 per year in incentives with an extra $150,000 for a national championship.

Stewart was picked to succeed Rich Rodriguez on Jan. 3, after leading the Mountaineers to a 48-28 upset victory over No. 3 Oklahoma in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. "

yeah i agree that they were quite hasty in hiring him based on one game. perhaps they are hesitant to look for a coach after rodriguez left such a sour taste in their mouths.

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #159 of 756
Michigan State game was ugly - very wet, a bit cold (especially being in the band, who seemed to be the only people there besides the players without raincoats), a lot of mistakes, but the shutout was nice. Who knows, the team may have some hope in them yet.

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #160 of 756
UGH!! Michigan falls to 1-2 against (UGH!!!) Notre Dame. I guess this is the price we're going to pay to get better once the system is really in place. I know that it was rainy, but there's no excuse for those first two turnovers.

The good sign is that Sam McGuffie is the real deal. That guy can really motor in space. Gonna have to get some of that for him.

UGH!! Wisconsin and Illinois coming up the next two weeks. I'll be ecstactic if we can manage to win one of those two games. Gonna be a long year....
frown.gif

As an aside, I was again reminded of what a house organ NBC is for Notre Dame. I had to turn on the radio and listen to our own broadcasters.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #161 of 756
Man oh man...Michigan State unimpressive in a win vs Florida Atlantic (hey, at least they won). Michigan comes up ugly in a loss to Notre Dame. Illinois barely beats Louisanna-Lafayette. Now OSU is getting their heads handed to them by USC.

This weekend...not so good for the Big 10!!

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #162 of 756
i think it is time for me to offically stop watching the game. i have seen all i can handle. the only thing i will take away from this loss is that usc has much more talent than we do. i do not think that beanie wells would have made a difference really. would have helped but we still would have lost. i think tressel needs to consider putting pryor in as the starter.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #164 of 756
Rough day for the Pac 10.
Cal and Arizona St upset, UCLA, Washington St, and Washington all get blown out, and Stanford and Arizona fall.
The Ducks do manage to eek out a win (I had a feeling the Boilermakers would be trouble) and I was at Reser Stadium to watch my Beavs manhandle the hapless Warriors.
Perfect sunny day in Corvallis and decent seats. Had an awesome time.

USC.....wow. I don't see anyone beating them, but I said the same thing about the Bush/Leinart Trojans too so....we'll see.
They did look darn near unbeatable though.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #165 of 756
Yep, ASU "just showed up" for this one. Out coached, out played, out everything-ed. Maybe they can wake up and beat UGA next week to justify laying this egg. Maybe I'll grow a third arm too. UGA didn't look too great either though. It should be fun, I'll be there as always! C'mon ASU, you're better than this!

USC's defense is scary good. All 11 starters will probably play on Sundays. Wouldn't it be funny to see all 5 of their hydra RBs to play in the NFL too? Heck, why don't they just bump USC up into an NFL team via expansion.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back