2008 College Football Thread!
Sep 6, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #121 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, using the USN rankings (which are the only that I know of that are publicly available), the PAC 10 would get the nod in terms of academic prowess combined with football results. Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and USC are all in the top 30 USN schools.

We have the hottest cheerleaders too.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #122 of 756
Well, Michigan looks terrible right now. They managed to SQUEEK BY vs Miami of Ohio. Of course, it seemed to be near-upset Saturday...unless you're West Virginia (my pre-season pick for the most over-rated Top-10 team), of course.

I'm frankly scared to death of Notre Dame next week. The O-Line is playing terribly, and got even MORE banged up today. The running game (with the exception of the QB) was weak, and the D - which gave me hope in the 2nd half last week vs Utah - was unable to consistently stop a MAC offense. The only real highlight was that someone finally took down one of those guys with the ridiculous "Predator" dreads by the hair. Hey, if you're going to leave it hanging out...
evil_smiley.gif

I really hope that the offense starts to gel somewhat...it looks downright, er, offensive, right now.
mad.gif

I literally have no idea how they will do next week, but I have fears for the worst...and with Wisconsin and Illinois on consecutive weekends after that...ugh!!

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #124 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you see how lame Notre Dame looked vs. SDSU? I wouldn't be THAT worried about your wolverines (at least not for this coming week)
wink.gif

I didn't...I was watching Michigan on DVR when the Notre Dame game was on (my son had his first ever travel soccer game today). I meant to record it as "scouting" material, but didn't get around to doing so...yes, I know, I suck.
biggrin.gif

So long as Michigan can't run with any consistency, we're in for a long season. I'm hopeful that something will just click all of a sudden, but that's nothing to rely on for sure. Oh, and Michigan in South Bend often equals a loss...particularly when it's an UNEXPECTED loss. So, maybe that works for us for a change. Hope so...

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #126 of 756
Wow....LOOK at what Penn State did to Oregon State!! Maybe Stanford isn't as good as I thought.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #127 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bill Stewart, worst hire in college football history?

But the TEAM wanted him!!
biggrin.gif

Historically, there have surely been worse. I mean, don't forget about Gerry Faust!! Oh, and I'm sure that my Sparty buddies will chime in with comments about John L. Smith and Bobby Williams.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #130 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow....LOOK at what Penn State did to Oregon State!! Maybe Stanford isn't as good as I thought.

Stanford got spanked hard by Arizona State.
The hapless Beavs are notoriously slow starters but this goes beyond that.
The Cardinal and Beavers and Cougars will be jockeying for the Pac 10 cellar this year.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #131 of 756
i finally had a saturday off to watch games! quick impressions of week 2.

1. my team had a very unimpressive win against ohio. chris wells may not have played but i do not believe in excuses. we obviously were looking ahead to usc. with the way our offensive line played we would not have beat any decent team with depth.
2. i expect oklahoma to bounce ahead of us in the rankings. oh well we will have to be ranked 1 if we can somehow beat usc.
3. pac-10 officials strike again. there is no reason to ever call excessive celebration against loker in that situation. you should let the players decide the game instead of refs.
4. eastern carolina looks like this year's bsc buster. they dominated wva in every phase of the game. i was very impressed with how physical they played.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #132 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanford got spanked hard by Arizona State.
The hapless Beavs are notoriously slow starters but this goes beyond that.
The Cardinal and Beavers and Cougars will be jockeying for the Pac 10 cellar this year.

is it too soon to toss the huskies in that mix?

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #133 of 756
Polls are pointless this early. The Huskies looked good today, too bad about the penalty. The game with OU should be good next week.

Sep 7, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #134 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Polls are pointless this early. The Huskies looked good today, too bad about the penalty. The game with OU should be good next week.

pre season and early season polls and ranks can make a difference in the end in the current flawed bcs system. i shouldn't have to worry about polls right now but sadly enough it's never too early to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back