2007 NBA Playoffs Thread
Jun 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #331 of 378
When Lebron wasn't in the lane dunking or getting layups he took a lot of tough, fading, contested jumpers. On most nights he won't hit all of those crazy shots but last night they went in and there's not much more you can do. I did see him work from the post a few times, and it had great success. The defense on the last play was atrocious though, the help defender was about 2 hours late, heck just foul him right when he touches the painted area.

I think Cleveland can play the Spurs tough, they can hang with any team that plays at a slower pace. The Spurs and Cavs met twice in the regular season and the Cavs won both times. I think they do well against the Spurs because they dedicate themselves to rebounding like the Spurs do. Their frontcourt players will be key in slowing down Duncan. Lebron, take Bowen into the post and punish him!

The Jordan/Kobe comparison numbers-wise is close. But stats often don't tell you the complete story. Jordan was an absolute killer on the defensive end as well, probably the as good as any other SG in the league. Kobe is a good defender, not a shutdown type of guy though. Jordan was the most complete and efficient player ever. This is also what makes Duncan so great, efficiency!

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #332 of 378
Speaking of efficiency, I just don't see where Cleveland could match San Antonio offensively if they met in a series. They could bang a couple wins though.

I am a Jordan lover, but that guy could pump a-lot shots. He became a-lot more "efficient" in his late twenties when he started getting every call and could count on going to the line 10 to 15 times a night.

It would be foolish to count Detroit out of this one though. They have Cleveland right where they want them now.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #333 of 378
Kobe and Jordan take about the same amount of FT per game on average now. (This doesn't count Kobe's first few seasons in which he wasn't very good) Jordan just didn't shoot many 3's, he took much higher percentage shots.

The Cavs managed to match the Spurs offensively, if you can call it that, in their regular season meetings. They both scored in the 80s.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #334 of 378
Read my post. I wasn't comparing Kobe vs. Mike. I was referring to Jordan as the "most efficient" player ever. He's up there, but that might be a bit too much kool-laid. What about Wilt?

So do you think the Cavs could beat the Spurs?

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #335 of 378
Wilt has the best single-season PER ever. Jordan has the highest career PER. That's why I said you can argue about how guys were as good as Jordan, but never better. PER still doesn't cover intangibles, but it's still useful. Like Wade had the highest PER this year, was he the MVP? Nope. Dirk was 2nd in PER, but many don't think he was deserving because of the playoff tank-job. PER is a good starting point though.

I doubt the Cavs can beat the Spurs 4 times out of 7, but I think they could push them to 7 games. I said the same thing about the Heat last year though. Lebron gives the Cavs a puncher's chance.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #337 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So do you think the Cavs could beat the Spurs?

I think the Cavs guards could give the Spurs some trouble. Winning the series though? Probably not going to happen.

Oh yeah, wait to play that matador defense Prince. It looked liked he ran away just to avoid being broken in half my LeBron.

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #338 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just a big fan of Duncan, so go Spurs go!! I can't think of a more complete player than Duncanat the moment. Despite all the contraversies, I still like the Spurs b/c they play a team ball. Lebron is a beatiful to watch and very Jordan-like; however, I'm a bigger fan of the a team ball than Lebron and the rest.

Duncan is painfully boring to watch, its almost like watching baseball

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #340 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they should have doubled him more. Detroit started doing that earlier on his run, but he still found ways to score even moving without the ball. He hit some amazing shots while he was seemingly well guarded and Detroit just looked dumbfounded. Still, it was amazing that Detroit didn't put more pressure on LeBron, especially on that last shot.

Lebron had a great game, no doubt. Watching the game, I couldn't help but think that losing Ben Wallace has finally come back to haunt the Pistons. I'm guessing that he would have had a much more difficult night if Big Ben had been clogging the lane.

I too am shocked that the Pistons didn't double Lebron on every possession. Especially considering that in OT the Cavs had Gooden, Big-Z, and Gibson on the bench. Better that than standing around watching Lebron take the ball to the rim. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more hard trapping on The King in game 6.

Other than that, I give the Cavs credit. The Pistons played a pretty good game 5 statistically and still lost. It ain't over for the Pistons just yet but IMO it's irrelevant who wins the ECF, with San Antonio looking nearly unbeatable.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #341 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I said you can argue about how guys were as good as Jordan, but never better.

I remember you saying Jordan was the most efficient and complete player ever. Maybe I didn't catch where you qualified it. You do make long posts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, you're using the Hollinger. That's fine and it's a darn good formula. But it's still a formula. Ignore that crutch for a second and consider this:

Take two players PG %'s.

PPG/RBPG/APG/FG%/FT%
1.30/6/5/50/84
2.30/23/4/54/51

Also, try to imagine if blocked shots were recorded back in player no. 2's career.

Who would you say is more efficient? And don't forget one of them also averaged 1.5 women a day from age 15 to death. That is efficiency.

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #345 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't count the Pistons out. Cavs will be watching the finals on tv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no doubt..............pistons will comeback.
shutdown time.............time to dethrone the self proclaimed king

DEEEEEEEEEEETTTTriot basketbaaaaallllllllllllll!!!!!

tongue.gif

ED: I have to admit that I thought the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back