2007 HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp - where are the reviews?
Aug 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnili /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know or can hazard a guess if this amp can drive an HD-800 adequately?

It does just fine. Not as good as a BUD/UDAC of course, but it's not a missmatch or anything near it.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Does anyone know or can hazard a guess if this amp can drive an HD-800 adequately?

Sounds just fine to me. But then I don't nitpick things to death in terms of soundstaging and bass and trebble etc.
I listen to all kinds of music and although I haven't used this combo a lot (because I work from home a lot lately), the amp drives the headphones fine with plenty of power and does not sound constrained or anything like that at all.

-- Sanjay

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

HD800's are very easy to drive. Decent sensitivity and very high impedance. For any amp with sufficient voltage swing, they are an easy load and should allow the amp to perform at its very best.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

I am having trouble getting 192kHz/24bit downloads to play through the DAC. 96/24 poses no problems though. I am using Foobar2000 with WASAPI S/PDIF output on Windows 7. Here are the sample files I used:

http://download.linnrecords.com/test...ecit24bit.aspx

http://download.linnrecords.com/test/flac/test192.aspx

Well, I got some bad news from Headroom support about this:

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you earlier today (computer issues).

If the manual says it takes 24/192kHz, then I'm sorry to say that is a misprint. Only our newest Ultra Desktop DAC can accept a 192kHz signal. All of our other DAC's (including your Portable Desktop) can take a maximum of a 24/96kHz signal, and this is only on optical and coax.

So I'm sorry for any confusion in the manual, that was missed on our part. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(Actually, I'll have to look ... I forget. I think it actually has Max modules, but I'm not sure now come to think of it. I'll have to check, but I know we did something to it.)

I came across this and was curious. Did you ever happen to check what yours has? Is this possibly a prelude to an updated Desktop Portable or just something you guys played around with "in the shop"? From what I've read in other threads, the DAC in the Portable Desktop is a slight step below the ultra micro DAC. If I remember right, the desire to conserve power in a portable design was a key factor (understandable). So then, perhaps Tyll's franken version is a custom mod they they would not offer due to shortened battery life via the use of a max module...

BTW, I just came across this glowing review of the DTP in Positive Feedback's Feb 2009 issue:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/headroom.htm

Jeff

That review made me very very suspicious

[size=x-small]"You can order HeadRoom's products by phone. The number is: (800) 828.8184 . When you phone 'em up, tell em Max Dudious sent you. If you're looking for a dynamite sounding amplifier that doubles as a travel and desktop piece, I'm pretty sure you can't do any better than HeadRoom's Portable Desktop Amp. It is really pretty fine. Best In Class. Ciao Bambini, on Feb. 2nd, 2009, Groundhog's Day. Any excuse for a party.[/size]
[size=x-small]Max Dudious: Party Animal![/size]
[size=x-small]Ciao, Bambini."[/size]

--- Isn't there a name for someone that promotes stuff on forums under false pretenses?

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

HD800's are very easy to drive. Decent sensitivity and very high impedance. For any amp with sufficient voltage swing, they are an easy load and should allow the amp to perform at its very best.

The HD800 sounds quite good on an iPod. So that hard to drive are they not. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:

That review made me very very suspicious

[size=x-small]"You can order HeadRoom's products by phone. The number is: (800) 828.8184 . When you phone 'em up, tell em Max Dudious sent you. If you're looking for a dynamite sounding amplifier that doubles as a travel and desktop piece, I'm pretty sure you can't do any better than HeadRoom's Portable Desktop Amp. It is really pretty fine. Best In Class. Ciao Bambini, on Feb. 2nd, 2009, Groundhog's Day. Any excuse for a party.[/size]
[size=x-small]Max Dudious: Party Animal![/size]
[size=x-small]Ciao, Bambini."[/size]

--- Isn't there a name for someone that promotes stuff on forums under false pretenses?

Yes, the term is called 'shilling.' This doesn't seem suspicious to me at all though, just because the guy liked the amp doesn't mean that he's being paid for his services... Headroom is a very upstanding company and a service to the community, and I'm mildly offended that you would jump to the conclusion that they're using shady advertising practices.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Are you a shill also? (just kidding) I'm new in this territory of putting hifi on your head, so please excuse me

No big deal, dude. Headroom amps haven't really been FOTM, so whenever you see a review, it's usually a pretty good indicator of the quality of the unit. What you do have to watch out for are the new products (from any manufacturer), because those are going to garner glowing reviews that aren't necessarily very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back