2007 HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp - where are the reviews?
Feb 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
schugh - could you post a detailed update of the Portable desktop Amp?

Anyone - just exactly how much of an upgrade is the Desktop line to the Micro line?

The electronics are quite similar, the differences are largely in more and better connections in and out of the box. The Micro is us packing our sound into a small box; the Desktop is us allowing the optimal connectivity to that sound for your desk.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 40
I am not much of a reviewer so I can't give details on say the bass was so much better etc. I just listen to the music and I am pretty easy to please unless something is obviously really crappy.

Having said that I do think the portable desktop is just a little bit better somewhere in the music chain then my 06 micro stack which I no longer own.
So I am going on memory. The sound seems more full and I am certain there is more detail.

I upgraded to the desktop mostly for convenience and because I still wanted a battery operated unit. I like all the convenience features it has such has both a 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch heaphone inputs.

I don't kid myself that it is as good as the Ultra Micros or anything. But it sounds very nice to me.

Currently my main use is using it either with usb and my notebook at work. But I also dusted off my Sony JE530 Minidisc deck which I just keep at the office and am using the optical output from it into the amp. The former combination sounds just wonderful even with compressed atrac music.

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by schugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not much of a reviewer so I can't give details on say the bass was so much better etc. I just listen to the music and I am pretty easy to please unless something is obviously really crappy.

Having said that I do think the portable desktop is just a little bit better somewhere in the music chain then my 06 micro stack which I no longer own.
So I am going on memory. The sound seems more full and I am certain there is more detail.

I upgraded to the desktop mostly for convenience and because I still wanted a battery operated unit. I like all the convenience features it has such has both a 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch heaphone inputs.

I don't kid myself that it is as good as the Ultra Micros or anything. But it sounds very nice to me.

Currently my main use is using it either with usb and my notebook at work. But I also dusted off my Sony JE530 Minidisc deck which I just keep at the office and am using the optical output from it into the amp. The former combination sounds just wonderful even with compressed atrac music.

Its very courageous of you to admit being 'not much of a reviewer' and someone who is 'easy to please'. Good on you and you have the correct attitude, just listen and enjoy the music without resorting to all the nonsense some people say here from occasion to occasion.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 40
Looks like the price went up $100 ($1,099) since I last looked at it. Does it really sound/perform $500 better than the HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp ($599)?

I believe with both you need to send them in to replace the rechargeable batteries when they wear out. Anyone know how much they charge?

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #21 of 40
I upgraded from a microstack to the DTP. Was it worth the extra money? It was to me, but its an individual judgement call. I wanted the best portable amp/DAC i could find for a very specific occasion. (Smoking cigars on my deck)

I see you have 701s-the DTP drives them very nicely.

While the DTP is not as good sounding to my ears than my ultra microstack, it is great to have a portable hi-fi system. I like the headroom house sound, and find each product fills its niche nicely.

Yes, batteries are sealed inside and will have to go back to headroom for a swap. I'll worry about that in a few years.

Hope that helps.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 40
Thanks. I'm currently agonizing whether to buy a used first generation Portable Desktop, which doesn't even include batteries. $500 is probably too much then?

HeadRoom wrote:

Quote:

The newest lithium-battery, fully-rechargeable HeadRoom Portable Desktop Amp edition (no more bulky four D-Cell battery bricks!) was released in mid-2008 and features a superior circuit topology design for vastly improved headphone performance versus any of the previous PDA editions. The 'built-in' Digital-to-Analog processor stage is also significantly improved versus any of the previous models due to the more robust power capacity of this design and the refined D-A chip-sets employed within the DAC signal chain.

You can also leave this new Portable Desktop Amp design plugged into AC-power full-time (if so desired) w/o any worries on negatively impacting the lithium battery lifespan or the recharging capacity.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm currently agonizing whether to buy a used first generation Portable Desktop, which doesn't even include batteries. $500 is probably too much then?

HeadRoom wrote:

Depends when it was made. If the first gen. portable was made after April 2006, it will actually sound slightly better than the current gen - the trade off is of course the rather cumbersome and inefficient battery arrangement.

Don't get me wrong, the current generation is a much better product for its intended use, however the previous generation has the potential to sound 'slightly' better.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 40
So the DAC in the newest DTP is better then my 2007 model?
Mine is the one with the rechargeable batteries but it's the one where you can't use it while it's plugged in. That's never been an issue for me personally.

But I am curious if the DAC is better in the latest model and how significant is that change.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by schugh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the DAC in the newest DTP is better then my 2007 model?
Mine is the one with the rechargeable batteries but it's the one where you can't use it while it's plugged in. That's never been an issue for me personally.

But I am curious if the DAC is better in the latest model and how significant is that change.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

No difference other than the recharging circuit improvements.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
however the previous generation has the potential to sound 'slightly' better.

What makes you say that, Daniel? I'm not disagreeing necessarily, just curious.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you say that, Daniel? I'm not disagreeing necessarily, just curious.

2 differences that I am aware of - firstly the halved voltage for the amp section (a total swing of 14.4V for the current gen and 30V for the last gen), and directly related to that, lower output power.

I remember testing the original Micro Amp, and there was a small but noticeable difference between the 18V swing from batteries and 30V swing from the DPS. The DPS was basically as clean as the batteries, but overall the output had more 'punch' somehow - a bit more HeadRoom (sorry...).

So my point was really based on a comparison of the current Desktop Portable running untethered, versus the older generation (with the same elctronics) running off a DPS.

By the way Tyll, what exactly is in your 'hot rod' Desktop Portable you had at CES? I've got a Max DAC in mine, what've you got in yours...?
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember testing the original Micro Amp, and there was a small but noticeable difference between the 18V swing from batteries and 30V swing from the DPS.

Ah. Hm. Maybe, hadn't thought of that; but I'd say that while the old one ran on +/-15 rails, it did so from the DC-DC converter. The new one has lower rail voltage but it's straight of the battery. Dunno ... haven't tried it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sloth
By the way Tyll, what exactly is in your 'hot rod' Desktop Portable you had at CES? I've got a Max DAC in mine, what've you got in yours...?
wink.gif

bluduh.gif

Bastage.

(Actually, I'll have to look ... I forget. I think it actually has Max modules, but I'm not sure now come to think of it. I'll have to check, but I know we did something to it.)

May 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(Actually, I'll have to look ... I forget. I think it actually has Max modules, but I'm not sure now come to think of it. I'll have to check, but I know we did something to it.)

I came across this and was curious. Did you ever happen to check what yours has? Is this possibly a prelude to an updated Desktop Portable or just something you guys played around with "in the shop"? From what I've read in other threads, the DAC in the Portable Desktop is a slight step below the ultra micro DAC. If I remember right, the desire to conserve power in a portable design was a key factor (understandable). So then, perhaps Tyll's franken version is a custom mod they they would not offer due to shortened battery life via the use of a max module...

BTW, I just came across this glowing review of the DTP in Positive Feedback's Feb 2009 issue:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/headroom.htm

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back