$2000
Oct 16, 2005 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

1031tensai

New Head-Fier
my parents noticed that i'm getting into audio and they wanted me to choose a good, complete speaker system to buy: speakers, cdp, receiver/preamp/poweramp, cables, and every other equipment needed.

the budget is, as stated in title of this post, $2000. i really don't know how much to spend on each component of the system, since i only mainly use headphones for music. i was thinking of a $1000 on the source and $1000 on the other stuff.

unfortunately, auditioning is not an option. their music preference is mainly classic and jazz. they will most likely not upgrade it. any reccomendation will be appreciated.

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 25
You are on the right track. The bulk of the money should be spent IMO in the following order:

1. Source
2. Output (speakers or headphones)
3. Amp
4. Interconnects

Having $2,000 to spend opens up a few possibilites, and here you will get a million answers. Personally I would select:

1. NAD C542 ($500) or better yet the Arcam 73 ($700)
2. Omega Speaker ($800 http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/) High efficiency speakers (over 92 dB per 1Watt @ 1Meter
3. Here I would go with a use Adcom or a Baby Sophia.
4. DiMarzio ($85)

Of course I am a little above at either $2,200 to $2,400 with the Baby Sophia or on target with an use Adcom with a range of $1,800 to $2,200 depending on model.

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 25
With all due respect, I think headfi is "source first" run amuck. At nearly all price ranges, the majority of the money should be spent on speakers. Speakers will give the greatest voice to your system (that is, if you don't count room acoustics as a component). Speakers are also the single most flawed component and where more money invested in design and construction will yield the biggest difference. While there are certainly quality differences between sources, amps, cables, etc., technology is such that your money is best spent with speakers if you want to yield the highest value improvements.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with budget electronics so it's hard for me to recommend an entire system as I wouldn't know their synergy.

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 25
I'd say "Thank you mom and dad, but if you're going to buy me anything, could it please be a used Les Paul Standard and a 15W practice amp? If I get better at it I'll upgrade the amp - if I'm bad at it I'll sell it and spend it all on $2k worth of music and keep using my JVC boombox!

The secret to enjoying music is-

1)Making it yourself
2)Having a huuuuuuuuuuuge music collection, or at least all of the music you love.
3)Having the rig to improve #1 and #2! And #1 helps with your appreciation of #2!

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 25
Go to AudioAdvisor online.

- Energy Connoisseur C-3 bookshelf speakers: $300
- Cambridge Audio 640A integrated amp: $500
- Cambridge Audio 640C CD player: $500
- spend a few bucks on cheap but sturdy speaker cables and interconnects
- spend less than $100 on decent looking speaker stands that match room decor

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 25
Couldn't ever agree more with #1. Listening could never be as satisfying as playing what you want to hear perfectly yourself. If you can reach that point where you can freely express what you want and making that instrument "sing" - you've got it made.

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 25
Shopping around is so important. Do some research and go with what's sensible. If it was me, I would go with:

Speakers: Rocket RS550 MKII: $1000/pair
CDP: Onix XCD-88 CDP: $300
Stereo receiver: Nad C720BEE: $600

Unless you go really cheapo, and I dont suggest you do, you're looking at just a receiver with no seperate amps in your price range. This is fine, you'll still get excellent sound.

Interconnects are not as critical as you'd think, especially in your price range. Speaker wire? Any decent guage (14g-10g) copper based speaker wire will do. You can get about 100ft of the stuff on ebay for $30-$40 or check your local Home Depot for their 14g stuff. Dayton on Partsexpress.com makes some good RCA interconnects for really good prices.

But these are just my suggestions. As I said, shop around, get a feel for what seems right for your setup. You've got some research to do, and trust me, it gets more and more exciting as you discover new stuff.

Oh, and sorry about your parent's wallets.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 25
I'd have to agree with Len. Some of you guys are recommending spending more on the source than on the speakers, which is exactly the wrong approach, especially at the budget end of the spectrum.

I'd advise spending $1000 on the speakers and then ~$500 on the source and the amp, then some Radio Shack Gold Series intereconnects and maybe some Signal Cable Classic Single Wire speakers cables and you should be set.

Good speakers for about $1000: Totem Rainmaker, Von Schweikert Model One, Audio Note AN/K.

Amp+Source < $1000: Arcam A65 Plus integrated ($600), Jolida JD102B integrated ($580), Onix XCD-88 CD Player($300)

Of course there are lots more options than just these, but it's at least a good place to start.

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I'd have to agree with Len. Some of you guys are recommending spending more on the source than on the speakers, which is exactly the wrong approach, especially at the budget end of the spectrum.

I'd advise spending $1000 on the speakers and then ~$500 on the source and the amp, then some Radio Shack Gold Series intereconnects and maybe some Signal Cable Classic Single Wire speakers cables and you should be set.

QFT. Remember, the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If you barrel out much more on the source and skimp on the speakers, you'll be screwed.

Oct 16, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 25
Oct 16, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 25
If you want to save a lot of money. Go for Sonic Impact T-Amp.

From T-Amp review:
Quote:

The DVD video performance of the Toshiba combined with the huge soundstage of the T-amp and the detailed and direct presentation of the Super 3s made for a tremendously engaging experience. I had a ball with this combo watching DVDs and have to confess that I enjoyed it more than many of the high-dollar home theatre rigs I've been exposed to - at a minuscule fraction of their price. Knowing that the whole system cost less than one pair of the Nirvana interconnects which I favor in my big system really gave me pause. It made the Sonic Impact/Super 3 combo an instant killer recommendation for those who can appreciate their rather remarkable performance without being - er, intimidated by the friendly price: An audio everyman's victory for sure!

Sonic Impact T-Amp ($39)
Omega Super 3 loudspeakers $549

$500 source
$100 cables

$1200 total

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 25
As much as the Sonic Impact may be a bargain, it lacks a lot of features. Not to mention it is not the nicest looking thing to have sitting in your living room.

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 25
Check out Aurum Cantus speakers and Korsun amps before you look into red rose. Then think again.

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Check out Aurum Cantus speakers and Korsun amps before you look into red rose. Then think again.

You trashing the Red Rose?!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Yeah the Red Rose stuff may not be the best value but I'm thinking they might be like many *normal* people and appearance does matter, especially women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back