$2000 amp or amp/dac for Senn HD650
Apr 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Wiza_Gab

100+ Head-Fier
So I got about $2000 (could be a little bit more or less) for an amp for my Senn HD650, I was looking toward the Benchmark DAC1 but is there something better in that price range ?

It's for using with a computer (so Optical Audio or USB)

Thank you!

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 35
the best price/performance investment in hd650 is cable ( think of Zu mobius or APS ) - they work great with my Woo4 ( had a chance to check it at meet ) but that is edging budget and without good source I wouldn't spend that much $ on amp.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 35
So, coming from the Total Bithead, you're not into the whole incremental upgrade thing then?
biggrin.gif

Does it have to be a one-piece solution? Otherwise, seeing as you're coming out of a Mac, you could go for an Apogee Duet and a Ray Samuels Raptor and still have money left over for a recable of your 650s.

That would probably make you quite happy.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best price/performance investment in hd650 is cable ( think of Zu mobius or APS ) - they work great with my Woo4 ( had a chance to check it at meet ) but that is edging budget and without good source I wouldn't spend that much $ on amp.

No offense but I wouldn't take this advice at all if I were the OP. Generally speaking, headphones benefit most from amps and sources, just as with speakers; cable upgrades are often nice, but are rarely necessities or must-have options.

With that said, given the OP's budget, I'd look into a decent balanced setup a la Singlepower or Headroom amps and a nice balanced source - or perhaps an absolutely stunning single-ended setup with, say, a heavily upgraded Singlepower Extreme and an external DAC.

It would, however, be key to know whether this 2 grand encompasses a source and amp, or whether it is allocated strictly for an amp, with an entirely separate source budget. I think in the end this information will be the difference between purchasing a balanced setup (which requires a balanced source and a recable) or sticking with a single-ended setup.

Good luck,
Nick

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 35
piotr : Why isn't it a good source ? Computer sources aren't the future ?

Hopstretch : Looks great !

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 35
Computers as a source for the hard drive to a dac, yes. The soundcards/dacs in a computer are often wanting. What I would do is. . . there will be many suggestions here. . .

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 35
well - heaving heard zu and stock hd650 I can only say that difference was quite dramatic in + ( You can always buy sh zu and try yourself - small lose on shipping if any ) - that was at scotland meet and more people can confirm this

--> jamato8 x2

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 35
Piotr,

Your rig and the OP's rig are at very different points. For OP I agree that a source upgrade along with an amp uppgrade would offer a much more noticeable improvement over a cable upgrade.

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 35
Now I've got a laptop as source to a BENCHMARK DAC1 USB to a RAPTOR and it is the best I've heard. That should be close to your price range. I would say try the MAXED WA6 but mine has not reached the performance of the RAPTOR yeat (and may not) It only has about 77 hrs burn in with stock tubes. I'm told it should get alot better. It is already night + day different from day one. I was rather disapointed at first. If it keeps up at this rate, I will be a very happy camper at the 400 plus hrs burn in that all suggest. I have been VERY happy with the DAC1 - RAPTOR combo for quite some time now.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piotr,

Your rig and the OP's rig are at very different points. For OP I agree that a source upgrade along with an amp uppgrade would offer a much more noticeable improvement over a cable upgrade.

Indeed, I don't mean to debate over the specific improvements brought about by cables (that discussion is safe for another forum) but rather want to suggest that an amp and source upgrade will (at this point) yield a greater change in sound than even the finest cable produced.

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 35
I have a Stello DA100 + Singlepower Extreme (also Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable) and the 650s really sing with this setup! The Extreme is really an amazing amp!!!

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 35
What is Singlepower Extreme ? I can't find it :
Singlepower Audio
And where can I see the exact price ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back