2000-3000 budget for mid-century looking Audio Setup
Dec 22, 2012 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SamHeadFi

New Head-Fier
Budget: 2000-3000

Do I also need a sound-card? I play a lot of video games (first person shooters) ....do I get a sound card just for that? Or should I use whatever I'm using for music-listening purposes? Soundstage/positional cues matter. Obviously look doesn't matter for this since it will be in computer.

Note!!: Looking for any ideas for products that fit the whole mid-century/eames/vitsoe aesthetic. minimalist/not too many buttons/knobs on front, small-ish logo if at all in the front

DAC/AMP: It's better to get a separate dac and amp, correct?
-Lots of classical music, tubes preferred. Portability does not matter.
-Something that looks like the MC275, Zana Deux, Peachtree audio, little dot MK VIII SE, woo audio wa5, glowamp.
-Ideal budget is 1500, though I might be talked into 2000. Depending on other things I get.
-Also about how much more will it add to my normal energy bill? Just curious. And how much hotter?

Headphone Stand: Anything besides the sieveking Omega and Woo Audio?
-If there are alternative everyday items that I can repurpose as stands too I'm open to that
-I don't have to factor this into my original budget since it should be under 100

Headphones: less than 1k, ideally under 500. Budget depends on how much I spend everywhere else.
-Probably leaning towards DT880's, HE500, Audeze LCD-2, T1.
-I already have a pair of Ultrasone 2400's I use for gaming but I'm not too fond of the sound signature. Might resell it soon.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 3
For games, I would recommend a good soundcard.  I actually run two different systems.
I have a surround system for my games, movies and a DAC system for stereo listening.

There are many ways you can go and you have a reasonable budget for a good audio system.
Perhaps something like that might be the best fit for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back