$2000-2500 to blow on a rig
Aug 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
i'm saving up and almost have that much. if you had that much money to blow on a rig, what would it be?

I was thinking of a portable rig like the ue10 or 11 with imod and tomahawk

but for that price I could get like a gs1000, a gs-1 and a good source.

what would you recommend?

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 51
Don't forget to use some of that money to buy music.

with out music we don't need headphones..

Also if you find yourself listening to music at home more than on the road, then you should really put that money to a nice home rig.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 51
Portable... *shrugs*

I honestly don't see the point in spending $2000+ on musical enjoyment and not get 100% out of it because you walk around with it. If you feel different though...

I can't recommend the GS1000 enough. Amazing headphones no doubt. Don't be fooled by their impedance though, they are quite picky with source and amplification. I somehow managed to get it right straight away, however, others have not been as lucky and have ended up selling their pairs.

I wouldn't recommend them for a portable rig though. They leak as much sound out as they do in. In other words, you bother others as much as they bother you. Add to that their size. They are huge. They also look quite expensive so I wouldn't risk going out with them for a walk. A in-ear looks much less expensive and is a whole lot more practical for portable use.

So, if you want to go for a portable rig, go for the UE10/11 or the E500. If you decide on a home rig, I doubt the GS1000 would let you down.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 51
With no other cirteria to go on other than 'what would you get with $XXXX dollars...

All of these rigs would be winners, at least for me (ask me how I know):

Let's assume we already have interconnects, shall we?

Rig 1:
AKG K1000.
Pass Labs Aleph 3.
Luminous Audio passive pre-amp.
A decent source of your choice.

Rig 2:
Used Grado PS-1.
Used MAD Ear+ Purist HD.

Rig 3:
Grado HP-2
Used MAD Ear+ Purist HD.

Rigs 2 and 3 may go over budget, depending upon how much you end up spending on the headphones (sometimes you can get lucky, and get them at 'reasonable' prices). But when you are already spending $2500 on a rig, whats a couple of hundred dollars more at that point?

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 51
I think a semi-portable rig would be your best bet. The new 2007 Headroom Desktop portable and an Edition 9 might be the best you could do. The Edition 9 is pretty portable, and it has pretty good isolation. I think it would be much more versatile than the GS1000, and I'm betting it sounds better too (I have an Edition 9 and love it!). The 2007 desktop portable has a built in lithium battery, the home module, and a slightly modified version of the Desktop DAC. The only thing is that I don't know how the headroom amps perform with low impedance headphones (such as the Edition 9 or Grado GS1000). It's possible that you might be better off with Larocco's new LISA or whatever it is . . . I hear it sounds really good. That amp is about $500, and you'd need to get a portable DAC to go along with it. And either of these options would require a source. A laptop would be great, but if you want to be able to walk around with your rig, the iRiver DAP with the optical output would work well. If you like to take your gear along but won't be using it for running or anything, I firmly believe a setup like this (and definitely involving the Edition 9, if it's to your taste) would be your best option. This is sort of my situation: I like to take my gear to the library with my laptop, but I didn't want to compromise on sound quality for battery power and compactness, so instead of a portable amp/dac, I went with the somewhat transportable Corda Opera. I can just stick it in my laptop bag with the Edition 9 (in their case) and walk to the library when I want to do some studying over there.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 51
AKG K1000.
Pass Labs Aleph 3.
Bel Canto Dac-3

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K1000.
Pass Labs Aleph 3.
Bel Canto Dac-3

Errr..

Doesn't that DAC sell for $2,000+?

I mean, I know I went over his $2500 budget by a tiny bit, but you just kicked in in the nuts, and then ripped the eyes out with a rusty spoon.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, I know I went over his $2500 budget by a tiny bit, but you just kicked in in the nuts, and then ripped the eyes out with a rusty spoon.
biggrin.gif

ROTFLMAO.... in the true headfi tradition, any indication of a healthy wallet will result in prompt plans to destroy it and the path to debt made clear.

Ant

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errr..

Doesn't that DAC sell for $2,000+?

biggrin.gif

Inded he did. IIRC the MSRP is $2495.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 51
Go with what I am getting! Opus DAC, B22 balanced, and then HD650/700! If you have a builder do it for you, you will hit the limit, but if you do it yourself, you will have enough left over for a decent portable set-up as well.

Opus DAC + B22 - $1000ish (Around 2000 if you dont build)
HD650/700 - $300-$450
Cables - $200

$850-$1000 left for a portable setup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back