$200 To Spend: Sound Card VS. DAC
Dec 10, 2007 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FarFromCentre

Head-Fier
I either need a sound card (I'm thinking about the Auzen X-Fi Prelude) or a DAC to pair up with my Beyer DT880's and my future Millet MAX. I don't really need all of the fancy features that come with a sound card, I'm just wondering which would have better audio quality. And if you could recommend me a good DAC around $200 (Up to $250 if really necessary), that would be great. I don't really want a DIY model because I will be asking for this for Christmas. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 14
An external DAC would certainly be better sound for music... but if you game alot, DAC's dont come w/ EAX
tongue.gif
so for mostly music go with a DAC.

for about $200 you should definitely go with the Beresford TC-7510. this is a great DAC/amp. all reviews i have read say it is a great value for the money even if you only use the DAC part w/ a different amp. but the built in amp is pretty good until you get a different standalone amp

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 14
I own X-Meridian 7.1
I own the Citypulse dac too ..
I have listen the Fubar III + supply
I have listen the Gina 3G semi-pro soundcard

The soundcard is much better to all those products.

Don't know if the Prelude can match the X-Meridian ... what I have read, it's not the case unfortunally.

So many product, it's difficult to know the best one. :xf_cool:

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Get an external DAC. Computers are electrically noisy and you don't want RF hash in your source. Soundcards are good for feeding a digital signal to a DAC, though.

I'd go with an external DAC if I were you. I can't recommend one since I haven't been up on them for awhile. But look around the Forum; you'll find lots of good recommendations.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 14
I suggest you buy sound card first, then buy a DAC and feed it through sound card later on. Onboard sound is very noisy compared to sound card, at lest it isn't as noisy as onboard

I've comparing onboard to external DAC via coax vs. sound card, I prefer sound card over the DAC, the sound too harsh for my liking

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you buy sound card first, then buy a DAC and feed it through sound card later on. Onboard sound is very noisy compared to sound card, at lest it isn't as noisy as onboard

I've comparing onboard to external DAC via coax vs. sound card, I prefer sound card over the DAC, the sound too harsh for my liking

shouldnt be that much of a difference since theyre feeding digital signal

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shouldnt be that much of a difference since theyre feeding digital signal

I read that the noise still can get through the coax cable, unless it's optical. That's what I read though, I never do any testing on it

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that the noise still can get through the coax cable, unless it's optical. That's what I read though, I never do any testing on it

nice info..btw im from malaysia too but currently studying in us
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the info guys. What about an USB external DAC? How could interference affect that (since it is a digital signal to the DAC)? I still haven't gotten that many recommendations, I would like it to be bought from a online store or something, hopefully not DIY or Ebay, unless it is REALLY good. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice info..btw im from malaysia too but currently studying in us
tongue.gif

Good, you can buy lots of stuff there
biggrin.gif
I wish I was someplace else than Malaysia
frown.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back