$200 to spend on some monitors...
Jan 8, 2011 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

McChickenz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, still a noob here, but doing my best to research and learn.

I've looked through Audioengine, Mackie, Krk, M-audio, and everything and just need a pair of speakers (monitors?) that would do great for 80% music, 10% movies, and 10% gaming. 

I just have a generic laptop that's using an "IDT High def audio codec" sound card (I have no clue about it) and just want to be able to plug the speakers into my laptop headphone jack and call it a day.

I'm at college in a dorm and everyone else here has Bose companion 3's and they're driving me nuts with their awful "music" that they blast.  In a sense, I just want complete and total authority when it comes to music being played.

I didn't know if I should've stuck the thread here or in the Comp section, sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

Thanks everyone. 

-Michael

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 8
$200 isn't much for a pair of active moniters, but you can easily do better than the bose, the Edifier Studio R1900TII will be easily better than the bose, the companion 3 has a 5.25" woofer the Edifier Studio R1900TII , has 2 5" drivers your get around the same level of bass and better sound quality, the bose is a 2.1 set so to completly out do it theres the edifier S330.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 8
the KRK's are probably be the best of the bunch. the Rokit 5 would be ideal in a dorm, but they're also over your budget ($150.00 each). they're expensive but they're also half price and free shipping. 

it's a good sign that you find Bose's awful (unless you're just saying...). I've seen it on a few occasions were someone buys a pair of budget speakers, and after awhile they're looking for speakers again. just recently there was a thread where someone after two months of purchasing a pair of AV-40's they wanted *more*. therefore I suggest you try the KRK's.

as for having total authority: is possible that your mates cannot appreciate the finer sound, and still prefer the Bose's sound instead; but is also possible that they're all gonna sell their Bose's for a pair of KRK's instead; hard to say.

check if there's a dealer near you that let you audition the speakers

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Jan 16, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 8
I got my BX5a deluxe used off of Craigslist for a pretty cheap price. It is scratched up but in perfect working condition. I prefer it over headphones 9 out of 10 times.

If you are willing to be patient, you will find good deals. I see BX5a, RP5, RP6 pop up on Craigslist pretty often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back