$200 to spend on an upgrade from my SR80s
Jun 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 7
might like a used denon d2000 - although you don't mention home/portable or amp/ampless.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I use a reciever with a 1/4 jack on the front of it.. Wouldnt that work as a amplifier? The receiver pushers home speaker towers so I thought they would be good for headphones.. I use it for my grados

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Ya, your receiver will work fine.  If you can pony up another 40 you might give the Ultrasone HFI 780. 

Do you prefer over the ear or on ear?  The M50 is always a good choice too and it'll save some of that 200. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 7
Used Audio-Technica ESW-9.  They are not the bassiest as they are closer to a balanced signature with a bit of emphasis on the bass.  They also run well unamped.  There's also the advantage of portability and they are a beautiful headphone with their wood cups.  Some people do find the circa-aural earcups uncomfortable though.

AKG K81dj.  One of the best sounding headphones for the price as you should be able to get it for around $40 used.  More bass emphasis than the ESW-9s.  Fairly balanced and a bit on the warm side.  There is a bit of a veil to the sound which causes the highs to be less crisp than they otherwise might be.  They are also portable and don't require an amp.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 7
I've had grado sr225's, and plenty of other open or open-sounding headphones (A700's, 595's, etc.). I bought the Ultrasone HFI-780's a while back, but never really spent much time with them for whatever reason. Recently, however, I've started listening to them again in earnest and I've fallen in love with them.

They handle the lower end fantastically. Base extends nice and low, and gives you that rumbling feeling that you get from many dubstep tracks (listen to The Bug?). Unlike other headphones that I've tried, however, the presence of the base does not overwhelm or even distract from the mids and the highs. If you're interested in rock and dubstep, I'd definitely suggest holding out until you can afford the extra $40 and go for the 780's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back