<$200 replacements for HD280 Pros, Open/Closed welcome
Jul 20, 2005 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Yellowjacket

100+ Head-Fier
I jumped on Amazon's $200 refurbed HD600 deal but since Amazon takes forever to ship, it gave me time to think about other cans.

I've had my HD280 Pros since summer 2001 and they've been very good to me. They were my first pair of "audiophile" headphones (though I realize they're toward the bottom of that ladder). In the last couple years, there are some issues I've had with them

1) Comfort: I need to take a break every hour or so because my ears get sweaty. With open cans or cans with velour ear cushions, I don't expect this will be a problem.

2) After an hour or so, they get very dead. That is, the music doesn't sound as lively. I imagine this is partially a function of them being closed.

3) The bass, while it extends very far, is also weak. I can fix this with EQ, but some more help from the cans would be appreciated.

4) I'm not sure if I'm referring to mids or highs, but whatever they are, they are not very detailed. This goes for female vocals as well (which dominate the tracks w/vocals in my collection).

So, attempting to rectify this situation, I realize there are a gazillion headphones in the sub-$200 camp, especially ones that are easier to drive than HD600s.

If my understand of the Grado/Sennheiser debate is correct, Grados have stronger bass and a more upfront presentation while Sennheisers have more detailed mids and highs (highs moreso than mids) and are more relaxing.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Bottom line: I want cans for all types of music that I can wear for hours on end without fatiguing (open cans would be a nice change from HD 280 Pros). Although I do not have much rock music, I have much music that strongly features bass. I do not have an amp (but I have a strong source) but I could put together a CMoy amp...hell, I am an electrical engineer after all
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 7
ATH-A900 are comfy, have plenty of bass (for me, anyway), and handle most kinds of music well...though they come in right at the $200 mark....I don't use an amp either, just a Yamaha receiver, and it works fine.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
ATH-A900 are comfy, have plenty of bass (for me, anyway), and handle most kinds of music well...though they come in right at the $200 mark....I don't use an amp either, just a Yamaha receiver, and it works fine.

They're closed though aren't they? And they also have pleather earpads...

What about the A500? Are the A900 worth twice the price of the A500? And what about the MS-1? I may be wrong, but aren't they supposed to provide some more clarity over the SR80/125?

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 7
As long as you don't mind an in ear monitor, I'd recommend the Shure E4. They produce a very balanced and detailed sound and won't make your ears sweat.
biggrin.gif

If you want more bass, consider the Shure E5, the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, or the Westone UM2, although any of these will be out of your budget.

To see if canal phones will be comfortable to you I'd suggest picking up a packet of Howard Leight Low Pressure Foam Ear Plugs. Insert them a bit shallower than the directions tell you (maybe 3/4ths as deep) and leave them in for a few hours. If you find this uncomfortable initially, try this for a few days in a row. If you find them comfortable enough, then you shouldn't have any issues with IEM comfort. I actually find the E4 slightly more comfortable that the Leight plugs inserted in this manner although neither is uncomfortable for me.

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
As long as you don't mind an in ear monitor, I'd recommend the Shure E4. They produce a very balanced and detailed sound and won't make your ears sweat.
biggrin.gif

If you want more bass, consider the Shure E5, the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, or the Westone UM2, although any of these will be out of your budget.

To see if canal phones will be comfortable to you I'd suggest picking up a packet of Howard Leight Low Pressure Foam Ear Plugs. Insert them a bit shallower than the directions tell you (maybe 3/4ths as deep) and leave them in for a few hours. If you find this uncomfortable initially, try this for a few days in a row. If you find them comfortable enough, then you shouldn't have any issues with IEM comfort. I actually find the E4 slightly more comfortable that the Leight plugs inserted in this manner although neither is uncomfortable for me.

Not a big fan of the Shures (tried E3Cs, thought they were crap) so I'd have to spring for ER4/ER6i if anything. Unfortunately, IEM produces a sound similar to closed cans and I think open cans would be less fatiguing.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 7
You can try the HD595. they have well detailed and smooth mids, which will be perfect for listening vocal musics. Their bass response is pretty good if you have an amp that has enough juice.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 7
2nd the 595 (or 555, I love those cans). and I'm actually looking for a pair of closed cans for monitoring/recording purposes, you looking to sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back