$200 range cans for a "fun but not in your face" listen?
Jan 23, 2007 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A700s which I've had for about 8 months and have enjoyed greatly. They were my first forray into "high-end" sound, and having come from a cheap Altec Lansing headset, they blew my mind.

However, I must have the audiophile itch or something because I want to upgrade, or atleast try a different sound signature. Here's a list of things I'm looking for compaired with my current phones.

1. The A700 is a bit on the bright side to me, where it can get physically uncomfortable when listening to a track with a lot of cymbals or other sharp high-pitched noised. I would like a can that is a bit darker, but not high-end Sennheiser dark. I like my electronica and rock.

2. Although it does, apparently, have a wide soundstage for closed cans, it still kind of sounds 'in my head.' I want headphones with massive imaging so I would swear the music is eminating from the air around me. This is also why I'm looking at open cans. I'll be using these indoors where isolation isn't an issue.

3. The A700s have a lot of detail resolution but I think they are still a little sharp around the edges, if you know what I mean. I want sound that's exceedingly silky smooth, but can still be exciting to listen to.

4. Bass impact. I like the A700s a lot because of this. I know if I get an open can, chances are the bass won't be as in your face, but I'd be willing to make the sacrifice if it's super tight and the extention is extraordinary.

I'm looking at the AKG K601s and the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990. Let me know how you would go.

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Try to get an audition in for the Ultrasone HFI-2200ULE. Very interesting headphone with a very "speaker-like" presentation. I didn't find them bright, either. Might make for a unique alternative to your ATs.

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Dt 770 PRO:s would be perfect on all accounts except for a "wider soundstage" or what to call it.

I fully see you have a problem with it being to bright at times. Surely has the same with the A900...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back