~$200 Portable DAC/Amp for AKG k7xx
Dec 10, 2016 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DaAwesomeP

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I've been perusing the site and finding info on a ton of DACs, but there's too many to choose from! I have an excellent pair of AKG k7xx's. I'd like to get the best price to performance/quality! I've heard the Chord Mojo, and it's fantastic, but it's way too expensive.

Here's what I need:
  1.     Something with an amp that matches my headphones well -- though I couldn't tell you how. I've heard my headphones through a nice tube preamp as well as the Chord Mojo, and that's what convinced me that I need an amp. The Mojo was obviously much harsher.
  2.     USB DAC with at least 24-bit/96kHz and support for PC and Android
  3.     Analog line-level output while the DAC is in use
  4.     Preferably an analog line-level input that bypasses the DAC (but I could live without this)
  5.     A good volume control
  6.     An integrated battery would be nice but not required as long as it can accept any normal USB battery
  7.     I'd like it to be as close to $150 as possible without going over $250

What I've looked at so far:
  1.     Chord Mojo: $530 (I've heard this in person, and this is what led me to want a DAC; sadly, it's way out of my price range)
  2.     Oppo HA-2SE: ~$300 (looks really nice, great reviews, but too expensive)
  3.     Fiio KUNLUN-E18: ~$100 (what are the differences between this and the Q1 besides battery?)
  4.     Fiio Q1: ~$90
  5.     iBasso D42: ~$188
  6.     iBasso D-Zero MK2: ~$119

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back