$200 or less upgrade from Super.Fi 3
May 28, 2009 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Greetings everyone,

I'm looking at upgrading my current IEMs in the future and wanted some ideas. I NEED to get away from the super low impedence IEMS (below 30 ohms) as the hiss and basically mandatory use of an attenuator drives crazy.

I see there's lot of new competitors in the market from the last time I bought a set of IEMs, so this seemed easiest.

As for what I like in terms of sound . . . mostly a balanced sound, with a bit of a recessed treble (but still well extended). In other words nothing overly bright, but it doesn't need to be "warm" so to speak.

Also, IEMs with an easily replaceable cable in case of damage is a definite plus . . . not completely necessary, but worth consideration.

May 29, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Really? No suggestions?

Come on, someone must have an idea of what I should get.
wink.gif

May 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 7
Probably the Phonaks. It is black silent with any DAP's, and while they improve tenfold with an amp, are alright on their own. Highs/brightness can be attenuated by using the black filters instead of the grey, but it'll always sound very balanced. They have bit of a cable issue from all that I've read, but Phonak's warranty service FWIH is superb.

May 29, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 7
I literally upgrade from the Super.Fi 3s to Phonak PFEs and I can tell you once you've upgraded, your SF3s will be gathering dust in no time. I agree impedance of 12 just sucks, I used to use mine with the included sound attenuator, gets rid of the hiss just changes the sound sig a bit.

Phonaks, Future Sonic Atrios, Super.Fi 5s (v2) & Q-Jays would all be worthy upgrades I should think.

May 30, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 7
I would say PFE, use some olives to tame the highs a little and black filters if you want some more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back