$200 IEM Recommendations - Klipsch or Etymotic or other?
Mar 31, 2008 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nfitch

New Head-Fier
I am about to drop around $200 maybe more, maybe less, on a pair of IEMs.
I have searched the forums for reviews and comparisons of the Klipsch Custom 2 and 3 headphones, but have not been successful in finding what I want.

Can anyone give input on how the Klipsch Custom 2 and 3 pairs compare to the Etymotic ER4? Also, is the upgrade from the Custom 2 to the 3 worth the money?

Other pairs I am considering are the Sleek SA6 and UE Super.fi 5 Pro.

Or should I just suck it up and spend the extra cash for the Westone UM2?

I listen to mainly rock and classical music.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 31, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 10
SA6s. Owned the ER4P, sold em. Same with Atrios, UM1s. I never paid anywhere near $250 for phones, but the SA6s are the best $249 you'll spend, as long as you don't need a major bass phone. The Sleek bass is fine for me, a couple of people weren't happy with it. But all you need to do is read the Sleek thread for a good compilation of reasons why to buy them. I have a hard time using any other phones now. I think they are that good.

Some ex-UM2 owners found the Sleeks more to their liking (check out the end of the SA6 thread).

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA6s. Owned the ER4P, sold em. Same with Atrios, UM1s. I never paid anywhere near $250 for phones, but the SA6s are the best $249 you'll spend, as long as you don't need a major bass phone. The Sleek bass is fine for me, a couple of people weren't happy with it. But all you need to do is read the Sleek thread for a good compilation of reasons why to buy them. I have a hard time using any other phones now. I think they are that good.

Some ex-UM2 owners found the Sleeks more to their liking (check out the end of the SA6 thread).

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 10
I'd go with the UE super.fi 5 Pro. I've heard them and they have really good, clear sound with decent (but not overpowering) bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 10
I know after research on these forums that the ER-4p will beat out the UE super fi 5 and UM2 in terms of detail in mids and highs. As for comparison with Klipschs. I haven't heard of much on these forums.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 10
I've said it before, I'll say it again... I'm absolutely satisfied with my ER-4P's. Haven't heard any of the other IEMs you listed though, so take my thoughts with a big glass of water to wash down the biased subjectivity.

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 10
I have the UE SF5pros, spent about 180 in total. I like them as all around comfortable and good sounding IEMs.
I treat them really really bad, like taking them to the gym getting them caught on things, dropping, smacking them against metal all on accident but they are still holding up nicely.

They do require a few seconds to actually put in your ears which annoys me, but that goes with almost all IEMs.

If you go with them, try the marshmellow tips on them. They fit perfectly and for me, I can just slide them right into my ear without prepping them and sqeezing them. Also I just put on shure olive foam tips because they give the best seal. Just something to look into.

I have never had the chance to compare these IEMs with ER-4ps or UM2s so I really cant make a suggestion.

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 10
I would definitely recommend the Denon AH-C700. I prefer the dynamic driver over armatures in this price range. The bass and treble extension is much better. I find them less fatiguing also. The isolation is not as good as IEMs though. Not a huge difference, but I'd be lying if I told you they were the same. $169 shipped:

Denon

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Denon AH-C700
SA6
ER4P if you aren't a huge bass-head.
And the Super.Fi 5's Pro. With the Westone ES recable, they become very formidable headphones.

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 10
From the offerings I've heard from both Etymotic and Klipsch with the Klischs you can expect warmer mids and toned down highs compared to the Etys. So if you like a brighter sound the Etys would be good, but for a more mid-centric the Klipschs would be better. The Sleeks are enjoying FOTM status as of now which means they get recommended for most any IEM question, the Super.fis seem to be what they took it from so they're still getting heavily recommended as well. Not that either of them are incapable, there is a reason they become FOTMs, but you have to keep in mind that some of the recommendations for these will be riding the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back