$200 Headphones for Mainly Rock/Metal- Grados?
Jul 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
After researching for weeks and weeks and reading an enormous amount of reviews, I thought I had settled upon a set up for home use. I'll be getting a FiiO X3 (this is for sure), and planned to use the line out to an O2, and from there to an AKG Q701. This would cost me ~$350, and I really only wanted to spend $300. I've seen Grados recommended over and over again for rock/metal, but I've also heard there can be problems with sibilance and the pads looked absolutely uncomfortable. I've taken another look at Grados, and I think I could trade a little comfort for what I've seen called the best headphones for rock/metal. So I've got a set of questions for anyone who has used the Grado SR225i (or e, which would be even better because I'll likely get the newer version):
-Does the 225 reach a level close to or could it be considered in the same level as headphones such such as the Q701 or DT880?
-How would the G Cushion pads affect the sound, and would they increase the comfort a lot?
-Would these headphones be okay for a slight amount of hip hop/rap? (I have the Shure SRH440 right now, which are sometimes considered bass-light, but find them fine for rap)
-Can these be driven very well from an X3?

The most important question is obviously, will these be good headphones for me? I like a neutral or slightly bright sound, and good instrument separation. I do like detail, but if these are lacking very slightly in detail that's fine. I like artists such as RHCP, Slipknot, Pantera, The Beatles, Jason Mraz, The Foo Fighters, Rise Against, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Eminem, and Sublime. 

If I could get the 225e for $200 and G Cushion pads for $20, and have the sound close to the quality of the Q701, it would save me about $130 (not having to get an amp). Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and thanks for your help. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 13
-Does the 225 reach a level close to or could it be considered in the same level as headphones such such as the Q701 or DT880?

For all genres, no. For heavy metal and rock, many would say that the SR225i is superior.

Would these headphones be okay for a slight amount of hip hop/rap? (I have the Shure SRH440 right now, which are sometimes considered bass-light, but find them fine for rap)

Sure. If the SRH440 work for you, the Grados would as well. The bass is fairly punchy in the mid range. Just not deep sub bass extension. But most rap doesn't really need that.

Can these be driven very well from an X3?

The SR225i are easily driven by a DAP like the X3. You might also consider the DX50 since the price has dropped to $199.

Also, if interested, I am selling my SR225i on the Head-Fi trade forums.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for your reply. These definitely seem to fit what I need. I'll look into them more and see what I can do about making them more comfortable. Was your pair terribly uncomfortable, or were they decent?

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm not bothered by Grado comfort. I wouldn't want to wear them for 8 hours, but they are fine to me. Comfort is a personal thing.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 13
I haven't tried the 225e but owned the Q701 and 225i at the same time awhile back.  FWIR, I adored the 225i's tone/timbre but the Q701's had a wider soundstage, were less grainy and a touch more refined. I think I'd give the nod to the Q701's in overall SQ but the 225i's were definitely around the same tier.  You shouldn't find detail wanting with the Grados as I think they were on par in terms of detail.

If I were listening predominantly to stuff like the bands you listed (or from ones I recognize), I'd probably pick the Grados.  I actually preferred the Grados over the Q701 for hip-hop/rap, though neither would be my first choice.  Then again, the Q701/DT880's fit any other genre (pop/EDM/ambient/orchestral/classical/etc...) a bit better.

Comfort, as cel mentioned, is subjective, but I could not listen to the Grados for more than an hour with the L-cush pads.  Never tried the G-cush on the 225i's however. You could always sock-mod it too, which adds a bit more comfort.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 13
I've never been impressed with the G-cushions.  If you think the bowls look uncomfortable on the 225's, G-bowls are only going to make it worse.  As for sound, G-cushions have a drastic effect - you'll either think it's the best thing ever or absolutely hate it.  I would not recommend them.

Some people react immediately to Grado bowls and can't stand them.  I guess there's some very sensitive ears out there, because I've never found them a problem.  Wearing the bowl cushions are certainly on a par with Sennheiser clamping pressure or the AKG center headband bumps.

The AKG's are certainly more refined.  In terms of construction and quality, I'd say they're on a par with Grado RS-1's, but the price difference is huge.  Grados are, admittedly, over-priced.  While at the same time, the AKG K/Q701/2/12 family was considered world-class a few years ago.  That means at their price point, they are one of the truly outstanding values out there.

So what are the AKG disadvantages? Large size, very bulky (as bulky as any headphone made), headband is ruthlessly uncomfortable unless you go to the K712 (no bumps at all).  Sound, while more expansive than you'll hear with other headphones is highly detailed, but dry and a bit lifeless.  Bass is never going to thump you.

Grados and K701's are on a par with detail - some of the finest available, but Grados tend to lend more of a musical and fun feel.  The single greatest attribute with Grados is their ability to render guitars/strings (both acoustic and electric).  They can do it better than any other family of headphones.  If that's what you're seeking, then Grados are it.  Keep in mind their price structure is high and as you go up in the line to the RS-series (or PS500), they simply get more refined, become less tizzy, and have greater bass.

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 13
[1] So I've got a set of questions for anyone who has used the Grado SR225i (or e, which would be even better because I'll likely get the newer version):
[2]-Does the 225 reach a level close to or could it be considered in the same level as headphones such such as the Q701 or DT880?
[3]-How would the G Cushion pads affect the sound, and would they increase the comfort a lot?
[4]-Would these headphones be okay for a slight amount of hip hop/rap? (I have the Shure SRH440 right now, which are sometimes considered bass-light, but find them fine for rap)
[5]-Can these be driven very well from an X3?
[6]The most important question is obviously, will these be good headphones for me? I like a neutral or slightly bright sound, and good instrument separation.

[1] The new e series makes some trade-offs, but I think you'll enjoy it more because it has more bass and less treble.
[2] Precisely what cel said.
[3] G-cushions' sound does not work with the SR series: you loose the mids and are left with thin and bright highs.
[4] Probably not. It depends on whether your SRH440 is the bright or bassy version.
[5] I'm confident it can do so easily.
[6] If you've never tried Grados before, buy any used Grado cheap and a new pair of L-cushions before spending more.

Best luck!

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 13
If I were listening predominantly to stuff like the bands you listed (or from ones I recognize), I'd probably pick the Grados.  I actually preferred the Grados over the Q701 for hip-hop/rap, though neither would be my first choice.  Then again, the Q701/DT880's fit any other genre (pop/EDM/ambient/orchestral/classical/etc...) a bit better.

This sounds great. I listen to mostly stuff similar to the bands I listened obviously, and don't really listen to any of the ones you listed for the AKGs or Beyers. 

Grados and K701's are on a par with detail - some of the finest available, but Grados tend to lend more of a musical and fun feel.  The single greatest attribute with Grados is their ability to render guitars/strings (both acoustic and electric).  They can do it better than any other family of headphones.  If that's what you're seeking, then Grados are it.  Keep in mind their price structure is high and as you go up in the line to the RS-series (or PS500), they simply get more refined, become less tizzy, and have greater bass.

That's exactly what I'm seeking. I do love the neutrality of my Shures, but I would love to have a headphone that puts me really into the music and be more fun.

The Grados certainly seem like good headphones for what I want and like. I'm really only worried about the comfort. From reading replies, it seems that the G Cushions hurt the sound and are even worse than the stock pads for the 225. My last pair of headphones was the Sony MDR ZX100, which are on-ear and I found them decently comfortable. If anybody has experience with both the Grados and the Sonys, could you tell me how they compare in terms of comfort?

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 13

This sounds great. I listen to mostly stuff similar to the bands I listened obviously, and don't really listen to any of the ones you listed for the AKGs or Beyers. 

That's exactly what I'm seeking. I do love the neutrality of my Shures, but I would love to have a headphone that puts me really into the music and be more fun.

The Grados certainly seem like good headphones for what I want and like. I'm really only worried about the comfort. From reading replies, it seems that the G Cushions hurt the sound and are even worse than the stock pads for the 225. My last pair of headphones was the Sony MDR ZX100, which are on-ear and I found them decently comfortable. If anybody has experience with both the Grados and the Sonys, could you tell me how they compare in terms of comfort?

The Sony MDR ZX100 is in no way comparable to wearing Grados.  The best thing you can use to compare would be to find any headphone where bare foam (not pleather-wrapped) ear pads come into direct contact with the ears.  Unfortunately, there are no headphones on earth that have comparable cushions to the Grado Bowls.  Still, if you can find basic foam pads - KSC-75's come to mind - and can tolerate them OK, I would be surprised if you had trouble with Grados. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 13
I've actually found a nearby store that carries Grado headphones. They also allow you to come in and test any products in store with your own equipment. I don't know yet if they carry the 225 (waiting for an email back), but I could go in and see if I like the Grado sound and comfort. At some point soon I'll see if I can get to the place to test out and hopefully buy the Grados.

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #11 of 13
I've actually found a nearby store that carries Grado headphones. They also allow you to come in and test any products in store with your own equipment. I don't know yet if they carry the 225 (waiting for an email back), but I could go in and see if I like the Grado sound and comfort. At some point soon I'll see if I can get to the place to test out and hopefully buy the Grados.

Even if they don't have them, try the SR80i. The primary difference between the SR80i and the SR225i is (a) better matched drivers and (b) the different pads. So the SR80i have a slightly different sound, but not so different that you couldn't then guess if you would like the SR225i.

Of course, now the e upgrades have been released. Some people apparently like the i series better than the e series, so maybe you need to listen to both :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 13
Of course, now the e upgrades have been released. Some people apparently like the i series better than the e series, so maybe you need to listen to both :)

It's not really an upgrade, rather a somewhat different sound. And the striking similarities between 80i and 225i are less apparent in the new series: 80i is a better deal than 80e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back