$200~ Headphones for Hip-hop, rap, dubstep AND gaming (not a lot)..PLEASE HELP :D
Mar 3, 2012 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

abbztract

100+ Head-Fier
I went over to Addicted To Audio (Melbourne) the other day and trialed quite a few different headphones..
M50, AD700, SRH840, HFI580, DJ1, PRO700MK2, one of the Beyer DTs...and some i cant remember
Of all of them, I really liked the HFI-580 and the Shure SRH840..580s a tad more i'd say...
The guy who runs the place said that out of the ones that were available for trial, the only ones that met my needs of a CLOSED set of PORTABLE headphones that do well with HIP-HOP, RAP and a tad of DUBSTEP as well as gaming were the HFI-580 and the Shure SRH840s....

APPARENTLY, they have a soundstage good enough for gaming.. because i couldnt test them with any games, i dont really know...

I PMed a member of these forums who had recommended to another meber the SRH940 for gaming and according to him, "As far as competitive tracking goes - ie directional positioning - the SRH 940 is definitely better - it just has more detail retrieval, so it's clearer. The SRH 840 is more 'fun' though - it's more immersive because of the mid-bass. Neither is particularly good on sound-stage"

He reckons that, "If you want a cheap closed allrounder - that is really good with music, and still ok at gaming - consider the Fischer FA003 / Brainwavz HM5. You'll find plenty of reviews around for both. I currently own the HM5 - and it's a really good can"..

"SRH940 was pretty good for gaming - but very narrow genre range for music. To me, the SRH 840 was a lot better for music (not as detailed, and bass a little boomy at times - but at least it sounded real)."

Sorry about the quoting crap and massive posting, but can someone tell me whether any of the mentioned headphones are worth getting? I have read MLE's Gaming thread but didnt find much because that is based around use with Dolby Headphone..

Thanks, Abz :D

And i did try my luck in the "Buying headphones? Seek advice..." thread but didnt get much there so i made this thread..Sorry :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, seeing you're in Australia it might be a little difficult, but you can probably find a used pair of Denon D2000's on the cheap. They aren't all that portable (leaks alot) but are probably the best bass-oriented headphone for $200.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 4
For hip hop, rap and dubstep just get ultrasones

Reckon they'd be any good for gaming due to their "S-Logic" i.e angled drivers to create a bigger soundstage?

Originally Posted by scottie584 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, seeing you're in Australia it might be a little difficult, but you can probably find a used pair of Denon D2000's on the cheap. They aren't all that portable (leaks alot) but are probably the best bass-oriented headphone for $200.

Well, Addicted2Audio has quite a list of sets to choose from and i'm pretty sure Headphones.com.au can cover the missing..although A2A does have a shortage of Beyers...

Eeeppp..leaks..was looking at closed one because i'll be using them on buses, trains, trams and planes...need the isolation for me and also the sake of others..unfortunately that means losing a quality soundstage..

Anything on the Brainwavz HM5?? Any good? Gaming?

Thanks for the help dude :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back