~$200 headphone recommendation?
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cosmogrammar

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with some recommendations. I've been looking for some new headphones for around $200 (willing to go a bit over/under) to be used for long listening sessions at work, meaning I'm looking for some really comfortable over-ears or IEMS. After some research, I settled on the Beyerdynamic DT880s--a great pair of cans, no doubt, but after one day of listening I'm finding them to be a little too cold/analytical-sounding. They sound great with jazz and classical, but the bulk of my listening is composed of dirty rock and metal, chill electronic music, and some hip-hop. 

So, can you guys recommend any headphones in the $200 range that are a little more lush/warm-sounding? Maybe with a little more bass? Again, comfort is a very high priority, and I wear glasses so headphones with a lot of clamping force get uncomfortable quickly. Your help is much appreciated! 

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with some recommendations. I've been looking for some new headphones for around $200 (willing to go a bit over/under) to be used for long listening sessions at work, meaning I'm looking for some really comfortable over-ears or IEMS. After some research, I settled on the Beyerdynamic DT880s--a great pair of cans, no doubt, but after one day of listening I'm finding them to be a little too cold/analytical-sounding. They sound great with jazz and classical, but the bulk of my listening is composed of dirty rock and metal, chill electronic music, and some hip-hop. 

So, can you guys recommend any headphones in the $200 range that are a little more lush/warm-sounding? Maybe with a little more bass? Again, comfort is a very high priority, and I wear glasses so headphones with a lot of clamping force get uncomfortable quickly. Your help is much appreciated! 

If you think that the DT880s are really confortable, try the DT770s.  They have more base and I think will suit your musical tastes better.  

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 6
  If you think that the DT880s are really confortable, try the DT770s.  They have more base and I think will suit your musical tastes better.  

Yeah, thanks for the advice. Seems like most people preferred the 880s over the 770s, but I guess the 770s might suit me better. 

Also looking at the Phillips L1. Any opinion on those? 

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 6

Yeah, thanks for the advice. Seems like most people preferred the 880s over the 770s, but I guess the 770s might suit me better. 

Also looking at the Phillips L1. Any opinion on those? 

I think that the L1 sound a bit better, but I don't think that they are as comfortable as the 770s.  Also I think that the base presention might be a bit more suited to your tastes on the 770s. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello,

The DT880 is a tube thing. Best to pair it with a tube amplifier for warmth and to fix the brightness. There are plenty of budget friendly tube amp/DAC from Anue, Bravo, xDuoo.

Do you currently have an amp? Are isolation essential?

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back