$200 for some decent cans. (Bought Ultrasone Proline 750's, thanks head-fi :D)
Apr 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i was looking at the 750's also.. the Sens HD595's look great too. can my amp power them?

The only phones taht i think from the senn HD series that need a desk amp is probably the 600 and 650, anything below that shouldnt need an amp (but of course, will get better with one)

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only phones taht i think from the senn HD series that need a desk amp is probably the 600 and 650, anything below that shouldnt need an amp (but of course, will get better with one)

Ok thanks for that info. I just want a headphone that I will be able to power ok. How do I tell?

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 34
I think im gonna go with the Ultrasone 750's... I need to find a pair used, or where can I get a good price on these?

whats the difference between these and the 780's??

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #19 of 34
The 750's are Closed. You can get a pair of B stock ones here.
Ultrasone of America PROline 750 B-Stock
The main difference between the 750 and 780 from what I gather reading the 150 plus pages of the 780 thread is that the 780's tend to have more bass..and are a little harsh (to some ) with the highs. I talked to one guy who has both 750's and 780's and given the choice of one or the other "hands down"the 750's are better..if you arent a bass head. That and the 750 have a better build to them, and a detachable cord,comes with two cords straight and coiled, and a replacement set of pads.. Also neither the 750 or 780's NEED a amp, but perform better with an amp than just a DAP alone

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 34
By the way, the Ultrasone 750s are closed so you know. The open equivalent of the 750s are the 2500s. I don't know the difference between the 750s and 780s since I have not owned the 750s. I do know that the HFi-780s are oval shaped and are deeper cups than the 750s (round/shallow cups). Also, I think the headphone padding on the 780s is thicker. You can find the 780s at buy.com for under $200 with free shipping.

ULTRASONE HEADPHONES CLSD-BACK,FOLDABLE NIC - HFI-780 - Buy.com

I am not sure about the 750s. You could search for comparisons here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so-...-780-a-289917/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think im gonna go with the Ultrasone 750's... I need to find a pair used, or where can I get a good price on these?

whats the difference between these and the 780's??

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 750's are Closed. You can get a pair of B stock ones here.
Ultrasone of America PROline 750 B-Stock
The main difference between the 750 and 780 from what I gather reading the 150 plus pages of the 780 thread is that the 780's tend to have more bass..and are a little harsh (to some ) with the highs. I talked to one guy who has both 750's and 780's and given the choice of one or the other "hands down"the 750's are better..if you arent a bass head. That and the 750 have a better build to them, and a detachable cord,comes with two cords straight and coiled, and a replacement set of pads.. Also neither the 750 or 780's NEED a amp, but perform better with an amp than just a DAP alone

The 780s and 750s actually have a much different sound signature, from what I have read. The 780s are much more forward and have more bass and a focus on the midrange, while the 750s have a better soundstage. There are several people who prefer the 780s, and especially when considered that the cans have a very high potential (close to being on-par with Ed 9s), I think it would be viable to get other opinions as well.

Either way though, both are fantastic deals for the money. You can't go wrong! =)

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #23 of 34
I just bought the 750's... partially burned in. Can't wait
biggrin.gif

wow this is getting addicting!!!!

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K601? The good dealers on occasion have sales on them and you get them just about the $200 mark. I listen to all sorts of music and love them.

If you watch for them on e-bay, they often come up around $180 Buy it Now.

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you watch for them on e-bay, they often come up around $180 Buy it Now.

i think those are hard to power...

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 780s and 750s actually have a much different sound signature, from what I have read. The 780s are much more forward and have more bass and a focus on the midrange, while the 750s have a better soundstage. There are several people who prefer the 780s, and especially when considered that the cans have a very high potential (close to being on-par with Ed 9s), I think it would be viable to get other opinions as well.

Either way though, both are fantastic deals for the money. You can't go wrong! =)

Yeah I gather the 780's have as much or more potential. But I couldnt see myself spending 200 bucks on cans that are claimed to be aimed more towards "movie watching" with glued in drivers and then drop another 150...or more for new cables, to unlock that potential add in the foam mods or paper towels to control the highs that some have been doing..Just a bit much for me. 25 bucks more got me a much better built set of cans with just about as much potential as the 780, and the 750's are geared more towards what I like, soundstage and accuracy..not in your face Bass. Like I said I read the whole 780's thread came very close to buying a set, but the negatives I heard about them and the build quality/cable quality, was enough to get me to spend the extra $$ on the 750's I wouldnt mind having a set of 780's but my budget wont allow that kind of trial and error testing.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Yeah I gather the 780's have as much or more potential. But I couldnt see myself spending 200 bucks on cans that are claimed to be aimed more towards "movie watching" with glued in drivers and then drop another 150...or more for new cables, to unlock that potential add in the foam mods or paper towels to control the highs that some have been doing..Just a bit much for me. 25 bucks more got me a much better built set of cans with just about as much potential as the 780, and the 750's are geared more towards what I like, soundstage and accuracy..not in your face Bass. Like I said I read the whole 780's thread came very close to buying a set, but the negatives I heard about them and the build quality/cable quality, was enough to get me to spend the extra $$ on the 750's I wouldnt mind having a set of 780's but my budget wont allow that kind of trial and error testing.

Thanks for everyones help! i get my Ultrasone PL 750's this friday...

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #29 of 34
k guys just got my Ultrasone Proline 750's!

I love them. The sound is very good. Wide soundstage (good for movies and gaming) bass is clear also. I have these amped with the MisterX Mini^3 currently.

So overall I like them a lot
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone. I don't understand why people say that the sound signature on these is weird. I think they sound perfect.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

I was in the same boat last month. Also had to closed cans. I ended up going with a set of B Stock Ultrasone Proline 750's Couldnt be happier. They are very close to my K701's in terms of accuracy, just a tad warmer...more bass.

Good call, but I'd say they 750's are more than a tad warmer. Switching from my pl750 to my k701 is like stepping out from a cave into the sunshine.
Then again the pl750's are only about 30 hours burned-in so they may open up a bit yet.

Surprisingly the Ultrasones, in spite of the heavy hitting bass, do not seem to veil the mids like some other cans I have had
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back