$200 for new sound - suggestions please
Mar 3, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided I'm going to upgrade my sound, because I've been neglecting that aspect over the past couple PC upgrades. All I have now is this Logitech Z-640 5.1 system (which is ok, but at around $50, it's kind of muddy and muffled and doesn't have great trebble or bass) and this Altec Lansing AHS-502I headset (which is decent, but the sound isn't spectacular and they're kind of stupid looking, with the mic, if I wanted to listen to music in public).

I was debating whether to get new speakers or new headphones, but I decided on headphones because, for the same price, I can get much better sound out of headphones and they are portable, so I can finally listen to music in public.

My budget is anything at or below $200. So after much exhaustive searching, reading reviews and threads about various cans and compairing prices, I've decided I'm going to purchase the Sennheiser HD 555 headphones.

I've found them for around $100 shipped online, so that leaves another $100 for any other audio improvements. And that's where you all come in.

I was considering getting a portable audio player (since right now the only thing I have is this crappy old Pannasonic SL-S222) but the only mp3 player I'm really interested in is the Rio Karma (for gapless, which is cruicial to me) and that is a lot more than $100.

That is why I think I will forgo portability for now and get a soundcard for my PC instead. Right now I'm just using on-board on my ASUS A8N-E, which as I know, is crappy. So, I would like suggestions on a soundcard to get. Now, before the obligitory "Chaintech AV-710" response, you should know that I do play my fair amount of games, most of which use EAX, so I would like to hear suggestions for cards that can handle high end gaming.

I've been looking at the Audigy2 ZS mainly, but from comments on this forum, it sounds like the music quallity isn't anything spectacular, and I do listen to a lot of high quality music files ripped from CDs. So then, regarding the AV-710, would that make my game performance worse or have no impact at all? I'm torn because I would like to get the best sound quality for the money, but having no frame of reference as to what real high end sound sounds like, I might be perfectly satisfied with the A2ZS's sound.

Another question is, I was thinking of getting an amp for the HD 555s, but I'm not sure if I should blow the money there, and thus reduce the amount availible for a soundcard. So first, can anyone tell me how much the 555s benifit from amping? And secondly, does plugging headphones into my Z-640 do the same thing that a stand alone amp would? Becuase if that's the case, then I can save myself the expenditure of an external amp.

I know that's a lot of questions, but I would like some light shed on this situation, because I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely.

Thanks everyone.

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 9
In your case, I'd recommend investing in an X-Fi XtremeMusic and something like a Creative HQ-1300. Then I'd suggest you to save up a bit and try to audition a couple of the usual contenders to get a glimpse of different sonic signatures in the meantime, until you can afford a nice little amp plus a decent quality headphone in the US$ 100 - 200 range.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Interesting. So you're saying that:

X-Fi XtremeMusic -> Creative HQ-1300

will sound better than

Audigy2 ZS -> Sennheiser HD 555

?

Or are you saying that the X-Fi will be a better investment, and just to save up for nice headphones later?

Edit: It seems NewEgg has a $50 MIR on the XtremeMusic, making it less money than the A2ZS. I might just get that.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando
Edit: It seems NewEgg has a $50 MIR on the XtremeMusic, making it less money than the A2ZS. I might just get that.

Wow, that's quite a deal. $70 for that card is very cheap.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Pibborando: More the latter, I'd say. However, I don't know the HD 555 (I only know the older 120 Ohm version of the HD 595, which seemed quite a nice phone, though somewhat overpriced at that time), but the X-Fi is definitely a bttter investment than the Audigy. And the HQ-1300 is a surprisingly good phone for the price, so that would seem the smarter combo to me for a decent start...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, with the HD 555s for $100, and the XtremeMusic for $70, then that is well within my budget.

Still don't know whether my speakers are acting as an amp or not. But I suppose I could always make a Cmoy for cheap.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 9
one thing. oh my gosh! that panasonic sls222 is not cruddy at all!

that series of pana's were some of the best pcdp ever made imho. i know some will disagree. but trust me at least. i went beyond beleif to save my old pana after i heard what is now available. sure, get new stuff always but don't ever loose that pana!

music_man.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
one thing. oh my gosh! that panasonic sls222 is not cruddy at all!

that series of pana's were some of the best pcdp ever made imho. i know some will disagree. but trust me at least. i went beyond beleif to save my old pana after i heard what is now available. sure, get new stuff always but don't ever loose that pana!

music_man.

Really? To me it doesn't sound that great. Like it distorts at high frequencies, and generally doesn't sound as good as when I have my headphones plugged into my computer. Hmm... maybe I'll listen to it again, just to check.

Edit: Hmm, you may be right after all. I listened to a CD on the Panasonic and the same album which was ripped to my computer, and the Pana sounded better. To be fair though, I turned off the equalizer preset I had on in Foobar2000. And why have I JUST NOW after all these years discovered the S-XBS button on this thing?! What a difference that makes. The bass is much stronger and the mids and highs sound less tinny. Thanks for letting me re-discover this thing!

Double edit: I think the high frequency distortion is just a product of these headphones, as I've noticed the same thing on my computer. Can't wait to hear what GOOD headphones can bring out of this player.

Tripple edit: Could high frequency distortion in headphones be a permanent result of playing them too loudly? I've often worn these around my neck, when playing games, having them turned all the way up. I want to treat my new ones as best I can, so tell me if that can cause permanent damage.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 9
get a regulated power supply for the pana. then plug the line out of the pana into a good headamp. and now you have a real nice little stereo!

no, the pana is not a $1,500 cd transport. but it is a whole heck of a lot better than the pcdp made today which are junk now.

music_man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back