$200 first time portable head phones
Mar 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LukeDW

New Head-Fier
Hello Head Fi, I am a first timer looking for some suggestions for headphones in the 200 price range, and are good for portable use. I dont not desire a full size headphone, because they would be too big for moving around, so i prefer in ear or on ear phones. Also comfort is a big plus. Rhanks for any help given.

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 14
I suggest the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii.php

They are one of my truly favorite portable headphones.  They sound nice, fit extremely well, and are built really well.  They are used by DJ professionals all over the world.

You can also get them in a different cover here

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-adidas-hd-25-originals.php

These are $50 more.

If you desire a little more bass I would go for the V-Moda M80.  They ring in at $200 and for $50 more you can customize the logo on the two earcup covers.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

They are also very well built, have a great sound, and are very portable.  They have some basic fit issues straight out of the box, but with a few gentle tweaks they become super comfortable.

Tweaks:
1.)  The angle of the temples is very flat instead of tilted much like the shape of most heads.  A gentle bending of the metal support structure cures this issue.  Simply bend the temples so they tilt forming a V in front of you.

2.)  If the clamping force is a bit much simply stretch the headphone over a full-sized tissue box for a week.  This will help alleviate any excess clamping force.  This is very common and the technique used works well on many other headphones.

Either of the above choices are known great headphones.  Known not only for their good sound but they great build quality which is what we all want in a portable headphone.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the response! Those are both great looking headphones for my price range.  It looks like im going for the sennheiser hd25, but I do want to know if the 2 you listed have the same sound, or are the Adidias hd25s comfort/sound able to justify the extra $50( or is it simply just for a more colorful touch)?

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for the response! Those are both great looking headphones for my price range.  It looks like im going for the sennheiser hd25, but I do want to know if the 2 you listed have the same sound, or are the Adidias hd25s comfort/sound able to justify the extra $50( or is it simply just for a more colorful touch)?

Just A touch more colorful, BUT they come with velour pads if i am not mistaken.  But please note you can order velours for plain hd 25's for less than 50$.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Hello Head Fi, I am a first timer looking for some suggestions for headphones in the 200 price range, and are good for portable use. I dont not desire a full size headphone, because they would be too big for moving around, so i prefer in ear or on ear phones. Also comfort is a big plus. Rhanks for any help given.

hey man! try the Vsonic Gr07 with the bio-cellulose driver. you get like 24 ear tips, a very surreal sounding pair of headphones.  Infact they are my favorite pair and I have owned everything from sennheiser ie8's to Triple fi 10's.  They are 100% worth it, and they are vsonic's flagship model.  Here's and authorized dealer for vsonic products! http://www.lendmeurears.com/ I bought from them and got my headphones less than a week later!

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 14
I can vouch for the wonderful V-Moda M80s. The durability on these things is insane. Easily portable and they sound great. Only thing is they don't have the best isolation. It's something to consider for sure if you're taking public transportation a lot or even expect to be in a noisy environment with them.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Just A touch more colorful, BUT they come with velour pads if i am not mistaken.  But please note you can order velours for plain hd 25's for less than 50$.

Do velour pads offer better comfort than regular pads?

Quote:
hey man! try the Vsonic Gr07 with the bio-cellulose driver. you get like 24 ear tips, a very surreal sounding pair of headphones.  Infact they are my favorite pair and I have owned everything from sennheiser ie8's to Triple fi 10's.  They are 100% worth it, and they are vsonic's flagship model.  Here's and authorized dealer for vsonic products! http://www.lendmeurears.com/ I bought from them and got my headphones less than a week later!

I just read some reviews on these. they look like a deal for the price! But how is the comfort for i will be wearing headphones for up to 5 hours at a time. I have had skull candys in ears (cheap $12 best buy headphones) and they are very uncomfortable.

Quote:
I can vouch for the wonderful V-Moda M80s. The durability on these things is insane. Easily portable and they sound great. Only thing is they don't have the best isolation. It's something to consider for sure if you're taking public transportation a lot or even expect to be in a noisy environment with them.

Durability is a plus, and they come with a nice case. Can anyone compare the sounds of v modas m80 vs sennheiser hd25?
Also, im thinking that the not so good isolation will be good for me, because i am a varcity track runner and when I can hear announcements for races while my headphones are on could be a benefit for me.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Do velour pads offer better comfort than regular pads?

I just read some reviews on these. they look like a deal for the price! But how is the comfort for i will be wearing headphones for up to 5 hours at a time. I have had skull candys in ears (cheap $12 best buy headphones) and they are very uncomfortable.

Durability is a plus, and they come with a nice case. Can anyone compare the sounds of v modas m80 vs sennheiser hd25?
Also, im thinking that the not so good isolation will be good for me, because i am a varcity track runner and when I can hear announcements for races while my headphones are on could be a benefit for me.

They are straight up fantastic! They have an adjustable nozzle that can be moved to fit your ear shape.  Which is straight up wonderful. they come with so many tips, they just assure a GREAT fit and an extremely comfortable listening factor.  The isolation is way above par for a dynamic driver.  I actually just got back from a 28 mile ride on my road bike with ridiculously fast winds and I didn't lose quality while riding.  The burn-in factor is ridiculous on the gr07. I refuse to burn them in without me listening.  The bass starts to become punchier, everything blends.  The Vsonic gr07, ie80, and Future Sonic Atrio m5, are the only headphones ive ever listened to where I thought the heavens opened up with sound.  The Vsonic gr07 being my favorite.  Because there is NOTHING that can beat their price!  The bass gets low, punchy, and mellows out a lot as you listen.  I use the gr07's for classical, hip-hop, gangsta rap, alternative, indie rock.  It outperforms some major armatures in my opinion.  Its just surprising how a dynamic diaphragm can have such a nice audio range.  The mids are warm and the highs are crystal clear.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
They are straight up fantastic! They have an adjustable nozzle that can be moved to fit your ear shape.  Which is straight up wonderful. they come with so many tips, they just assure a GREAT fit and an extremely comfortable listening factor.  The isolation is way above par for a dynamic driver.  I actually just got back from a 28 mile ride on my road bike with ridiculously fast winds and I didn't lose quality while riding.  The burn-in factor is ridiculous on the gr07. I refuse to burn them in without me listening.  The bass starts to become punchier, everything blends.  The Vsonic gr07, ie80, and Future Sonic Atrio m5, are the only headphones ive ever listened to where I thought the heavens opened up with sound.  The Vsonic gr07 being my favorite.  Because there is NOTHING that can beat their price!  The bass gets low, punchy, and mellows out a lot as you listen.  I use the gr07's for classical, hip-hop, gangsta rap, alternative, indie rock.  It outperforms some major armatures in my opinion.  Its just surprising how a dynamic diaphragm can have such a nice audio range.  The mids are warm and the highs are crystal clear.

Found these on Amazon for $180 http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds-multiple/dp/B005FDXZJU

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

they are an un-authorized seller.  Try these.  They are authorized(You get the warranty), they have a U.S. warehouse, and vsonic specifically mentions them as one of the only authorized sellers. I bought from this store. Great seller! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR07-R07-/320761139769?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aaeda9239#ht_634wt_1396

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 14
I am starting to consider if I should purchase an iem. as i said before, I have tried skull candy in ears, and they were unbearable to have in my ear.
My ears are also slightly different from each other, my left ear being slightly larger than my right. A headphone my suit me better.
Can anyone with iem experience give me some tips?

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I am starting to consider if I should purchase an iem. as i said before, I have tried skull candy in ears, and they were unbearable to have in my ear.
My ears are also slightly different from each other, my left ear being slightly larger than my right. A headphone my suit me better.
Can anyone with iem experience give me some tips?

I have owned like every iem known to man kind! Skullcandies are like wearing blades in your ear. They give u like 2 tips... and skullcandy's are just madly terrible with audio quality! My left ear is slightly larger than my right as well.  The vsonics come with 24 tips including foam tips to form to your ear.  They are so comfy(As I listen to them now).  I prefer iem's over headphones because of their portability and comfort.  headphones actually hurt me more.  The vsonics are amazing my friend! try them!

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 14
Honestly I roll no amp! Im always on the go!  When you first get them, they will sound very congested, kind of lame.  Give them some play time and they will really turn into that AMAZING iem that I keep telling you about.  The soundstage is very slim when you first get it, so it almost sounds like there is a very weak amount of sound coming out of the headphones.  When these things are burned in, they relax and just sound natural, louder, bassier, and just chill headphones! you will love them! keep me posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back