200 Dollar budget. Need DAC+AMP for Beyer 990 250ohm.
Mar 3, 2013 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hafilaphagus

New Head-Fier
I would like to keep it under 200, but my budget can be stretched just a bit though (50-75 USD). I would like to get something that will power my phones and will provide me with clean audio and get the most out of my headphones.
I DO NOT have any sort of sound card or audio gear besides my headphones which are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 250ohm pro.

So I have narrowed it down between these guys
Magni+Modi
E7+E17
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1
NFB-12 (a bit more than 200). Last resort if the previous setups can't power the phones to there potential.

My music tastes are in most listened to to least listened:
Electronic
Classical
80s/90s hits
Jazz
Rock
Rap.

I play some FPS like CSS and CSGO, but mostly just Dota 2 and WoW.

Any advice would be appreciated. I will look at all information given.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 5
I would like to have a desktop amp if possible. I don't need a portable one because these phones will be used exclusively with my desktop. The more I read the more I feel like the Magni+Modi stack is the way to go.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Why not go to the $300 area and purchase the O2+ODAC Combo?  It is one of the most neutral and best sounding amps for the price I have found.

You can find them here:
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

$285 + shipping
$295 with the North America AC adapter

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 5
The Magni + Modi stack is supposedly the same sound-quality-wise as the O2+ODAC combo and it's cheaper as well. And Jason at Schiit said they tried out the 600 Ohm Beyers on the stack specifically and said they worked pretty well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back