$200 desktop amp?
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 26
I just want an amp that goes well with grado. I don't really mind if it's a tube or SS. By the way, the amp I'm looking for must still do well even if I go up the grado line, jusu up to 325is. Thanks

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 26
The AV123 x-head is a $200 solid state desktop amp. Currently on sale for $159 with free shipping. The sale was announced on the 17th and is 100 units only.

Skylab did a review of the x-head. There have been some other reviews as well.

I have one. I like it. It has more than enough power for a Grado. I've used it with my SR60. Mostly I use it for my Senn HD600 and Denon D2000.

Push button volume is a bit odd and has no visual feedback for what the volume is at. Hasn't been any issue for me, but if you switch between very inefficient cans and very efficient cans you could get a volume surprise. A relatively small amp.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 26
Low-Gain Starving Student's sound nice too, I just built one. Try WE408A and LT1364 in a little dot I+, though that would probably push you over budget. Although, I have to say - Get new headphones before an amp with Grados especially at that price point. Getting an SR225 would be a better decision, since Grados aren't particularly demanding, and sound good from many sources.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 26
Don't know anything about synergy with Grados but I'm using my Little Dot MK III (with stock tubes) with my HD 650's and I'm absolutely loving the sound. Warm, cozy and full of power when needed.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 26
Yep...love the LD MK III.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 26
You're much better off spending the $200 + money you get from selling the SR60i toward a better Grado headphone.

You get a much better SQ/dollar ratio that way.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're much better off spending the $200 + money you get from selling the SR60i toward a better Grado headphone.

You get a much better SQ/dollar ratio that way.

Generally yes, if you happen to already have a headphone out that is reasonably good. In that case a SR225 or SR325 unamped will be better than an SR60 + $200 amp.

In my case my computer has no reasonable headphone outs without using an amp. My M-Audio FW410 has wimpy headphone outs that can barely drive a Grado (you can easily max the volume) and sound quality is lacking balance in the bass and tilted to the highs. My Mackie Big Knob has a very harsh sounding headphone out that is not even pleasant with the SR60 and would be murder with SR225 or yikes the SR325. So I have no suitable hp out at my computer without using an amp. Not sure of the OPs situation, but could be similar.

And a comment for the OP regarding the x-head. I have never tried my x-head with any Grado other than my SR60 (old style). Not sure how the highs from the amp will behave with higher Grados like the 325 which can be fussy if highs are not to their liking. If you're planning on moving up the Grado line later that would be something to investigate. I'm listening to my SR60 right now through the x-head and it is good to me.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AV123 x-head is a $200 solid state desktop amp. Currently on sale for $159 with free shipping. The sale was announced on the 17th and is 100 units only.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from AV123, but everyone has to decide stuff like that for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back