$200 Closed Headphones for Music and Gaming
Jun 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rickstahful

Head-Fier
Hey everybody, one of my pals in Israel is looking for a pair of headphones meant for gaming on his pc and music on the go on his phone (Sony Xperia). He didn't know too much about audio quality yet, so I had to spend a few minutes persuading him not to get a pair of Beats and a Logitech G35. Personally I haven't spent too much time on these forums recently, in order to avoid temptation and spending too much money =P, but I'm at a loss for recommendations some of you might have for him. They'll probably have to be easy to drive (no amp) and be $100-$200

He tends to listen to a lot of oldies/rock music, and mainly plays Battlefield 3, which can help as starting points. I don't want to completely overwhelm him, so keeping it sort of simple and getting a pair that won't need an amp is key. Unless you guys have a better mic for the same price, it'll probably be a Zalman clip-on. If anyone is from Israel or knows any price estimates for headphones there, your input would help a ton.

Big thanks to anybody who replies!

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 4
With his budget i think the best choices would be either the Creative Aurvana Live! (~600nis or ~$150) or a Shure SRH840 (750nis or $193).
another choice might be an Ultrasone HFI550 (700nis or $180).
most of the other often recommended option are over his budget, for example: audio technica M50 is a bit over 1k nis and a beyerdynamic dt770 pro is around 1.1k nis, afaik.

but that's in israel, if he can order overseas the choices are many.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm from Israel, in israel you can get a Grado SR225i for about 230$. Another great option is ordering from Amazon Spain the Sennheiser HD 598 for 231$ shipped.

That pretty much sums it...

BTW I got myself a Grado SR80 and FA-003 clones from Jaycar, now looking for a nice dac+amp, which is extremely hard to find here.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Great suggestions guys, it seems headphones are a bit more expensive there, but my friend mentioned that he would be willing to get something over ebay as well. Keep the suggestions coming, I'll be going over some of the choices with him over the next few days. Definitely something with a nice open soundstage, despite the closed design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back