~$200, Closed, Comfortable...what to get?
Oct 18, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

spdracer22

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new set of headphones to move up from my $14 Sony Walmart-specials.

What I'm looking for:

Closed: These will be primarily for use at work, where the office is mostly open.

High Comfort: This is a must. I need something I can keep on for 3 hours or so at a time. My Sony's are supra-aural and have little to no padding, and I find myself taking them off every 45 minutes or so...which is both frustrating, and opens me up for conversations with annoying coworkers. I think I would prefer a circumaural set...

Music Type: I listen to everything...pop, rap, rock, whatever, as long as it's not country. I also do a little gaming here and there, but it's quite rare...

Music Source: One of my computers, or my Sansa MP3 player. My work computer is a Dell laptop...nothing special. My home computer has an Audigy X-Fi sound card.

Budget: ~$200.

I've read a bunch of reviews on here, and I just can't make up my mind...any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has a good store to try out some of these around the Flint/Detroit, MI areas, that'd be awesome...

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-D2000.

300-349

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 31
audio technica a900 doesnt require an amp and should sound good out of your x-fi. beyer dt770 80ohm would also work

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica a900 doesnt require an amp and should sound good out of your x-fi. beyer dt770 80ohm would also work

Neither does D2000, sounds pretty decent out of the DAP.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 31
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

A couple comments...

I've heard good things about the Denon's comfort level, but the 200's are a little bit more than I want to spend right now...though if the sound quality and comfort level is that much greater than the Beyerdynamic's or Audio Technica's, then I'd consider spending the extra...

I had looked into the Senn 595's before...I really like how they look, but they're an open can, which I can't really use in my office, where 90% of my listening will be going on...

The HD-25's, I think, are supra-aural...so they're probably smaller and may not look as huge...which has some benefits for the office. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth over the supra- Sony's I have, but I don't see them being as comfortable over longer periods...

I had looked at the Beyer DT-770's and AT ATH-A900's before, and one of these is what I was leaning towards... I'll do some more searching here on these and see what I can come up with...

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 31
Check out gramaphone in Birmingham/Royal Oak. It's on woodward. But they only carry Sennheissers, and their prices are high, but they are a local store and it's hard for them to compete against online vendors. Or you can check out Overture Audio in Ann Arbor. Those are the only two I know of. I'd recommend Overture Audio though.

edit: wait... i'm not sure but now I think of it, Overture might only carry Grados, and they are all open, but don't take my word for it. Best to give them a call.

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 31
Bose Triport AE might be a good choice ..

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #14 of 31
Beyer 770/80 or Audio Technica ATH-A900

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose Triport AE might be a good choice ..

You could get murdered around here for that kind of talk.

DT770 is a good choice for the price range/specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back