$200 Budget Gaming Headphones/Headset using a Home Theater Amp?
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sy1v

New Head-Fier
Backstory (Skip if desired): So I have been spending months doing research in trying to upgrade from my current SHURE SRH-840's. There are so many informative threads on here which have been very helpful but I keep contradicting myself due to my specific situation.

The issue I have with the srh 840's is that (imo) there is little to no soundstage. It is fairly difficult to understand where and how far someone is walking when using these headphones in FPS gaming and does throw me off. Regardless of that, the right arm broke (JB Welded back on, twice) so it definitely needs replacing. They do sound great for music but lack for gaming competitiveness.

tried the Astro A40's and while the audio was 'okay.' there were issues with the Amp 2013 along with other mic/speaker issues. Basically were defective and Astro had problems with communicating so I won't consider them.

Onto the task at hand:

I mostly do fps gaming and like to listen to rock/metal/orchestral and music found on Proximity (Youtube channel) (not a basshead, don't need crazy bass, could care less for it but need at least some)

The current audio setup is the onboard Asrock z77 soundcard using the Optical cable connected to a Yamaha rx-v2400 receiver which my headphones connect to (2nd monitor is a TV so the receiver is nice to have).

I keep getting thrown around between the ATH-AD700x / AKG Q701 / Sennheiser HD 598 (or the G4ME headset?). I have a simple $30 logitech microphone so a mic is not 'required'

Is there a different headset or headphone I should consider? Is this yamaha receiver a decent enough amplifier or do i need a headphone specific one? Need a soundcard?

Budget ~ $200 USD ($240 would probably be the limit).

If I missed anything out or something that might be confusing, please ask. Thanks for reading! :D

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Maybe look at the ATH-AD900x also? From reviews that I've read, they're more musical than the AD700s so you might enjoy those more when you're not gaming.

Some others for consideration: DT990 Prem/Pro, DT880 Prem/Pro, and maybe the X1 if you stumble upon a deal.

Mad Lust Envy has a larger list that's gaming specific LINK.

Also, welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back