$200 budget: comfortable headphones for travel
Sep 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cyde

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first post. I have a trip to China coming up soon, and I need a pair of cans to make it through an entire day of air travel. Comfort and isolation are important, and I don't like exaggerated bass. I love the Grado sound signature but realize I won't find that in a pair of closed headphones. IEM's hurt my ears during plane travel, so looks like I'm limited to closed headphones.

I'd need something with clear mids and highs for movie dialog; and I listen to a bit of jazz, blues, and rock. I'm willing to compromise bass for the aforementioned, but I would prefer a modest amount of punchy bass. I'll likely buy a portable headphone amp in the near future too.

Currently own: 
Brainwavz M2 IEMs
Alessandro Grado MS1i's with bumblebee pads
Monoprice 8323 (bass gives me a headache after a few hours)

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 5
You can always save a few dollars and get the JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for under $60.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 5
  Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first post. I have a trip to China coming up soon, and I need a pair of cans to make it through an entire day of air travel. Comfort and isolation are important, and I don't like exaggerated bass. I love the Grado sound signature but realize I won't find that in a pair of closed headphones. IEM's hurt my ears during plane travel, so looks like I'm limited to closed headphones.

I'd need something with clear mids and highs for movie dialog; and I listen to a bit of jazz, blues, and rock. I'm willing to compromise bass for the aforementioned, but I would prefer a modest amount of punchy bass. I'll likely buy a portable headphone amp in the near future too.

Currently own: 
Brainwavz M2 IEMs
Alessandro Grado MS1i's with bumblebee pads
Monoprice 8323 (bass gives me a headache after a few hours)

Heya,

I've traveled with the Shure SRH940, Fischer Audio FA003, Beyer DT770 and Denon D5000 frequently on airplanes. Worked well. The SRH940/FA003/DT770 are better for isolation for those purposes.

Based on what you described, I think you'd like the Shure SRH940. Comfortable, very isolating, no exaggerated bass at all, and quite similar to Grado's signature in mids & treble. Alternatively the Shure SRH840 and the Brainwavz HM5 (FA003 clone) would be suitable with similar characteristics that you're looking for. No amps needed for any of them to keep it simple, but if you wanted one for some reason, the Fiio E11 performs wonderfully for this and is inexpensive but provides actual power.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 5
  You can always save a few dollars and get the JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for under $60.

Heya,

I've traveled with the Shure SRH940, Fischer Audio FA003, Beyer DT770 and Denon D5000 frequently on airplanes. Worked well. The SRH940/FA003/DT770 are better for isolation for those purposes.

Based on what you described, I think you'd like the Shure SRH940. Comfortable, very isolating, no exaggerated bass at all, and quite similar to Grado's signature in mids & treble. Alternatively the Shure SRH840 and the Brainwavz HM5 (FA003 clone) would be suitable with similar characteristics that you're looking for. No amps needed for any of them to keep it simple, but if you wanted one for some reason, the Fiio E11 performs wonderfully for this and is inexpensive but provides actual power.

Very best,

Thanks for the quick replies. I did a little reading into the Brainwavz HM5's, and it sounds exactly what I'm looking for in a travel headphone. I do like the idea of spending $100 or less on a pair of cans exclusively used for plane, train, and road travel. With the money I save ...I could put that toward a nicer pair of headphones for my home office that won't possibly get stolen, lost or broken.

I see there is a person selling a pair on this site, so I'll try my luck. Thanks gain.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
   I love the Grado sound signature but realize I won't find that in a pair of closed headphones. 

Actually I hear the Shure 840 has a grado sound signiture but it's a closed headphone! I have on being shipped to me, although I've never hard grados, but it's worth a shot! Not to mention they fold nicely and isolate pretty well it seems 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back