$200 A900 or $200 5.1 Channel Speaker System?
Jul 24, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #16 of 21
I think it comes down to positioning or bass. I had a pair of cheap $20 Plantronics headphones that I enjoyed for a long time to play Medal of Honor and Counterstrike. Of course that was for multiplayer gaming and was great for determining enemy position by listening to the footsteps, I play much better with headphones. If you play single player games more or for dvd viewing then a nice speaker set (subwoofer) is more enjoyable because of the physical impact of the bass.. My setup for PC is currently the $200 A900s and a $20 2.0 Altec Lansing speakers set so I guess you know where I stand
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 21
maybe positioning wise (eg. in counter strike), headphones are more reliable, but cmon, dont you find it fun playing games with 5.1 speakers loudly ?
oh well, unless the environment (eg. neighbours) doesnt allow it...

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
well,
I think you two choices are two very different ways of dealing with sound.

actual surrond sound, will give you a more in the game feeling, like a movie.
youll, have to deal with wiring all the speakers and placement.
at night or if you have parents/neighbors you must turn the speakers down.
unless you watch movies on the pc youll be limited to actual use you can get out of the setup

headphones,
basic two channel, not much in surround.
less to wire up and setup, just throw them on your head.
you can crank them at anytime and still have great 2 channel.
music wise, you couldnt do better. so the cans have another easy use

your thoughts?

uuuhhhhh generally speaking you'll get better positioning in games with headphones...

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
maybe positioning wise (eg. in counter strike), headphones are more reliable, but cmon, dont you find it fun playing games with 5.1 speakers loudly ?
oh well, unless the environment (eg. neighbours) doesnt allow it...

Yeah, but if you play competitively in a more than casual sense, headphone is a significant advantage.

Jul 25, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
I used to have crappy headphones just for playing games... and speakers for everything else. Man.. I don't even use my speakers anymore these days.

you have CRAPPY headphones?????

Jul 25, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 21
LOL.. *had*... I still got another pair of HD497 around.. those are a little crappy. There's an old Sony Streetstyle I kept around the office... mostly as a lender to co-workers. Those are really, really crappy.

The one I used to play games with though.. was a Koss circumaural headphone with a microphone that I got at CompUSA. Don't even remember what it was. Just remember it gets really hot and the headphone was a little heavy.. hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back