$200-400 full-size over-ear headphones all-rounder for modern/mainstream pop/rock/alternative music
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rodweb

100+ Head-Fier
I would like some headphones to listen at home, mostly for music and some gaming.. no preferences between open or closed, I prefer the one that sounds better.

I like balanced sound, slight v-shaped, with good bass impact (pop/r&b/hip-hop), rather energetic (rock/metal) and with that feel of clarity.

As you can see below, I listen mostly to pop/rock.

I also listen to a lot of female vocalists, so it must not suck with girls.

And last but not least important.. it must be comfortable, because I use glasses and I spend a lot of time in front of the PC :p

A few artists/bands I listen to for reference:
Linkin Park
Avril Lavigne
Thousand Foot Krutch
Paramore
Daughtry
Kelly Clarkson
Rise Against
Papa Roach
A Day to Remember
Avenged Sevenfold
Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Colbie Caillat
Maroon 5
Demi Lovato
Simple Plan
Escape the Fate
Marina & the Diamonds
OneRepublic
The Script
Sum 41
VersaEmerge
Beyoncé
Dead by April

Hope you guys can help me!

Thanks in advance!!!

edit:
It needs to be over-ear. Every on-ear I tried hurts too much because of glasses.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 15
You can just randomly choose between these:
V-Moda M100
ATH WS99
Momentum Over Ear
Momentum On Ear
KEF M500
NAD VISO HP50
AKG K545
MDR 1r
probably more

The ATH WS99, MDR 1r would be my focus. Both great at female vocals.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 15
You can just randomly choose between these:
V-Moda M100
ATH WS99
Momentum Over Ear
Momentum On Ear
KEF M500
NAD VISO HP50
AKG K545
MDR 1r
probably more

The ATH WS99, MDR 1r would be my focus. Both great at female vocals.

The M100 was my first choice, but I couldn't listen to rock with them. They only sounded good with 10% of my music (hip-hop, bass-driven pop/r&b), so I sold them.

The WS99 seems a basshead can too, so it's also a no no..

I was looking into the MDR-1R and DT880.. I'll check the others you listed!!

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 15
I was just assuming you didn't want open cans. Well the ws99 is not a basshead can. It only has about 2/3rds of the bass the M100 has.

The DT880 is great, but you'll need an amp. If the M100 had way too much bass, I'd go for:
MDR MA900
ATH AD900x
ATH A900X (best buy)
ATH ESW9a (best buy!)
AKG k545 (best buy!)

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 15
I was just assuming you didn't want open cans. Well the ws99 is not a basshead can. It only has about 2/3rds of the bass the M100 has.

The DT880 is great, but you'll need an amp. If the M100 had way too much bass, I'd go for:
MDR MA900
ATH AD900x
ATH A900X (best buy)
ATH ESW9a (best buy!)
AKG k545 (best buy!)

No, I have no problems with open cans, as long as they sound good! :D

Yes, I thought the M100 too bassy for me... EQ'ing them didn't help me.

Does the DT880 has a good bass impact? Let's say half of the M100...

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 15
If I were you I would definitely have a look at hifiman he-4 (the older model)... I have been looking for some complementary cans to my sennheiser hd600 with characteristics exactly like what you are looking for and they seem to fit the bill perfectly. The price varies between about 440 and 340 depending on sales (or if you buy used). The he-4 definitely needs a strong amp though but I think it would be worth the cost. Anyway I at least suggest you read some reviews and try to listen to them if possible.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Hmmm. It has good impact, but half of the M100 is around 5db, and the DT880 is pretty neutral (0-2db), so no. However, for an open can, the bass quantity is about average. The Fidelio X1 has about half the bass (maybe a little more), and it's open, and it's veeery comfortable, and it's indestructible, and it's soundstage is huge. The AD900x is more well known for female vocals, but for you I think the Fidelio X1 is a great fit.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 15
If I were you I would definitely have a look at hifiman he-4 (the older model)... I have been looking for some complementary cans to my sennheiser hd600 with characteristics exactly like what you are looking for and they seem to fit the bill perfectly. The price varies between about 440 and 340 depending on sales (or if you buy used). The he-4 definitely needs a strong amp though but I think it would be worth the cost. Anyway I at least suggest you read some reviews and try to listen to them if possible.

How much power($$$) would it need? I'll keep my eyes on the trade forum. And there's no way I can demo any of these hi-fi cans here :/

The 600's are too too polite for these genres?

Hmmm. It has good impact, but half of the M100 is around 5db, and the DT880 is pretty neutral (0-2db), so no. However, for an open can, the bass quantity is about average. The Fidelio X1 has about half the bass (maybe a little more), and it's open, and it's veeery comfortable, and it's indestructible, and it's soundstage is huge. The AD900x is more well known for female vocals, but for you I think the Fidelio X1 is a great fit.

The X1 looks nice.. I'll look for some impressions.

What about the bass of the AD900X? It is significantly cheaper ^^

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Jan 9, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Comparison of the MA900 and AD900x:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654161/review-comparison-ath-ad900x-vs-ath-ad1000x-vs-mdr-ma900-its-still-over-900

The AD900x's bass is great.  Are you able to find a Best Buy to try out the HD558?  You'll know how much bass to expect from open cans if you hear them.  The MA900 has a little more bass, and it responds extremely well to EQ in that region.

No, there's no way I can demo any of them :/

You think that open cans are a better value for these genres? Considering A900X and AD900X for example..

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 15
That's a hard one.  For me, the AD900x is better since I like a neutral sound signature.  The A900X though is closed, so it sounds... more closed, but open for a closed can.  For your range of genres, and since you can't try them out, the A900x may be a safer buy.  The MDR MA900 though sounds marginally better, and it has a good amount of bass (just a bit more than the AD900x).

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 15
I would say the hd600 are good for all genres but I believe they don't suit your preferences perfectly (for example they aren't v-shaped or very energetic) . They do vocals extremely nice though

Edit: the x1 is also a good choice

As for the amp for he-4 I would say go for a cheap speaker amp (the emotiva mini x is popular but there may be cheaper options still)

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 15
  That's a hard one.  For me, the AD900x is better since I like a neutral sound signature.  The A900X though is closed, so it sounds... more closed, but open for a closed can.  For your range of genres, and since you can't try them out, the A900x may be a safer buy.  The MDR MA900 though sounds marginally better, and it has a good amount of bass (just a bit more than the AD900x).

Despite A900x being a safer buy, I was leaning towards the AD900x as I wanted to feel how an open can sound.. but I'm afraid the bass isn't enough, so again the A900x seems a better option... really hard to decide D:

I would say the hd600 are good for all genres but I believe they don't suit your preferences perfectly (for example they aren't v-shaped or very energetic) . They do vocals extremely nice though

Edit: the x1 is also a good choice

As for the amp for he-4 I would say go for a cheap speaker amp (the emotiva mini x is popular but there may be cheaper options still)

I think I'll skip the HE-4, it'd be the more expensive plus amp and probably used..

About the X1:
I've done my homework, read some reviews, but haven't read anyone talking about the X1 being good with female vocalists (nor otherwise) or rock (most say they are good for EDM, pop and bass-driven music).
That makes me a little worried with the bass being overpower, specially with fast rock/metal.. Tyll of InnerFidelity call they an open-basshead can...
And how do they sound with cymbals btw?

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, I've done some more reading toward them and I'm pretty confident to pull the trigger! If I found they are bass light I can use my BH2 to deal with them (just like I did with my R-50).

Well guys, thank you very much for your recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back